Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Iberia & BA connecting flight what baggage allowance?

Iberia & BA connecting flight what baggage allowance?

Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
Occasionally IB check in staff interpret the Silver /Gold additional luggae allowancd as extra weight instead of an extra bag . I have checkeed a 26 k bag at Barajas with now problems . Not sure if its is offcial though...
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by paulaf
Not booked ticket yet 1st leg says operated by Iberia then 2nd is BA, yes Silver. It's 13th April LPA-MAD-LHR departing 13.55 arriving LHR 20.55 if that helps. Many thanks so confused!
Yes, but what are the flight numbers? BA7145 & BA463, IB3823 & IB7465, or a combination?

Originally Posted by malagajohn
Occasionally IB check in staff interpret the Silver /Gold additional luggae allowancd as extra weight instead of an extra bag . I have checkeed a 26 k bag at Barajas with now problems . Not sure if its is offcial though...
In the case of BA Gold, it is both extra weight and extra bag.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BA6501
Yes, but what are the flight numbers? BA7145 & BA463, IB3823 & IB7465, or a combination?

In the case of BA Gold, it is both extra weight and extra bag.
But the BA website states that this is only for BA flights - here there is oother airline involved too

There is a OW allowance of 1 extra bag, but nothing mentioned there about weight
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I was referring to Iberia's policy, as malagajohn was referring to IB staff.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=BA6501;30495068]Yes, but what are the flight numbers? BA7145 & BA463, IB3823 & IB7465, or a combination?

It says BA 7145 and BA 463 but operated by Iberia to MAD.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, well BA says 2x32kgs as you know. Iberia also says that. So whatever rules they decide to apply, you're covered for 2x32kgs per person.
ReadystEDIgo and paulaf like this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:45 am

If the Iberia flight is in Business, the allowance is the same as BA CE. I connect regularly from IB to BA and have never had any problem.
paulaf likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, judging by the replies it certainly isn't easy to get a straightforward answer, but consensus seems to be 32kg!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:02 am

Re. this ticket:

ALC(IB) - LHR(IB) - MAN(BA)
075 stock with IB flight numbers on all flights,

My interpretation of the rules is that a BA Saphire will be allowed to check-in 1 piece of luggage
even though it is a Basic fare ticket with no luggage included and one of the flights is operated by BA?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
My interpretation of the rules is that a BA Saphire will be allowed to check-in 1 piece of luggage
even though it is a Basic fare ticket with no luggage included and one of the flights is operated by BA?
Strictly speaking I think you don't have a free allowance on the LHR-MAN sector. But I really can't see someone from BA doing what Aer Lingus staff used to do, namely hunting you down in the gate seating area with a POS gizmo.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Strictly speaking I think you don't have a free allowance on the LHR-MAN sector. But I really can't see someone from BA doing what Aer Lingus staff used to do, namely hunting you down in the gate seating area with a POS gizmo.
It does say

"If your ticket includes an Iberia flight and a flight with another airline, the baggage allowance of the company that operates the most significant flight will apply.
If Iberia is the first company, the allowance that appears on the ticket will apply. "

https://www.iberia.com/gb/luggage/al...aggages-search

MAD-LHR has to be the most significant flight (carrier) IB is both the operating and marketing carrier

and IB is also the marketing carrier of the LHR-MAN flight

Last edited by Hannibal Lecter; Mar 17, 2019 at 9:23 am
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by paulaf
Thanks all, judging by the replies it certainly isn't easy to get a straightforward answer, but consensus seems to be 32kg!
The confusing part is that IB says that you are allowed X pieces of 23 kg and that in some circumstances (which includes Business Class) the overweight fee is waived, rather than just saying than the allowance is X pieces up to 32 kg.

So rest assured, you can check 32 kg bags.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by malagajohn
For IB Ruby and Sapphire elites, it is both extra weight and an extra bag when the regular allowance is 0 or 1 bags. Other OW Rubies and Sapphires get only the extra bag.

AA and BA Emeralds also get the extra weight.

However, I am pretty sure that if a BA Silver tries to check a 26 kg bag at MAD, they will probably let them much of the time.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
It does say

"If your ticket includes an Iberia flight and a flight with another airline, the baggage allowance of the company that operates the most significant flight will apply.
If Iberia is the first company, the allowance that appears on the ticket will apply. "

https://www.iberia.com/gb/luggage/al...aggages-search

MAD-LHR has to be the most significant flight (carrier) IB is both the operating and marketing carrier

and IB is also the marketing carrier of the LHR-MAN flight
But then again, the ticket is issued as 0 pieces, with the free checked bag on the first sector being a status benefit. I agree it would be different if the ticket stated 1PC.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by BA6501
But then again, the ticket is issued as 0 pieces, with the free checked bag on the first sector being a status benefit. I agree it would be different if the ticket stated 1PC.

So you are saying there won't be any free bag? or free bag only until LHR?

(I'm aware that some other rep. might say something else if I call again) but Iberia CS said that 1 one bag was included all the way for Saphire,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.