Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA multiple-use electronic digital baggage tags, introduced Jan 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA multiple-use electronic digital baggage tags, introduced Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Originally Posted by PETER01
Theres some recent discussion in this thread which I'd imagine this one may/will be merged into.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...an-19-a-3.html
Thanks for this PETER01.. Hopefully, the MODS can move to this to the thread that you indicated ..
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
So here it is... IMO a very well put together piece of kit. Very heavy duty rubberised attachment loop, this will not be coming off in a hurry - whatever it’s attached to on my bag is likely to give up the ghost first.

Unfortunately as I don’t have the need to check in right now there is nothing I can do with it other than register it with the app (by scanning the QR code on the back).

So testing how it actually works will need to wait, but first impressions are it’s a very well put together device.

MPH1980 and bastoj like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Platinum
TAG - First Impressions

Well, 2 days after my last trip these 2 TAGs arrived. Initial impressions:
  • Very bland packaging, no instructions
  • Comes with an iPhone style metal pin which is used to release the rubberised catch
  • Fit is very tight around the handle of my large Rimowa, but snug and will require a lot of force to remove
  • It feels well made but who knows what would happen if my suitcase fell and landed on the side with the TAG ?
  • You can only pair 1 TAG in your BA app
I won't get the chance to use this for another 4 weeks, so I'm sure someone will beat me to a full review

Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Tiny little metal pin required to attach/ detach from case + international travel. I mean what could possibly go wrong there eh?! Maybe it's a sales ploy where the chances are you'll need to buy a new one everytime you replace your case. Have you tried releasing it using a paperclip or other assorted thin metal object yet?
T8191 and Arsey00 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Tiny little metal pin required to attach/ detach from case + international travel. I mean what could possibly go wrong there eh?! Maybe it's a sales ploy where the chances are you'll need to buy a new one everytime you replace your case. Have you tried releasing it using a paperclip or other assorted thin metal object yet?
Can only pair one with the app, that's not much use given a 3 bag allowance, lol. Not exactly attractive either is it, seems a poor execution of a decent idea, I'll skip it.
EuropeanPete, T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:27 am

Looks very nice. I look forward to hearing how it works once you have to check-in .
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
For the price, even the introductory one, i'm yet to be sold on the idea myself. The stupid pin which is bound to fall out of your wallet/ purse on the 1st trip you take( or just get left at home in the first place) just adds to it's downsides. Unless of course the OP can confirm it's inter-operable with any pretty much any piece of pocket lint metal.
SpeedbirdLHR likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:45 am

Received mine today, totally agree about the instructions and I can see from the error message on the iPhone that the OP did exactly the same as I did! I am not convinced this will survive given the rough handling at various points on its journey but I will at least give it a try. I have an LHR-BOS on Saturday but I only have hand luggage!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:49 am

Limiting it to one bag seems daft - and means I won't be using it. I'm either HBO (business) or several bags (holiday & kids): very rarely "one checked bag".
T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:56 am

For the price, even the introductory one, i'm yet to be sold on the idea myself. The stupid pin which is bound to fall out of your wallet/ purse on the 1st trip you take( or just get left at home in the first place) just adds to it's downsides. Unless of course the OP can confirm it's inter-operable with any pretty much any piece of pocket lint metal.
The pin is exactly the same one you get with iPhones to release the sim tray. The hole is too small for a pen nib, but a needle or safety pin or paper clip would work.
To me, this feels more secure than a paper strap, which I can tear off in one go using one hand.
But as before, I will continue to have a separate luggage label with contact details, just in case.
nancypants and TWCLAM like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by ratypus
Limiting it to one bag seems daft - and means I won't be using it. I'm either HBO (business) or several bags (holiday & kids): very rarely "one checked bag".
The TAG FAQ mentions multi bag support will come later, as will tracking.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:00 am

It’s actually a pretty cleverly designed locking catch, but yes a paper clip will do the job too.
I have one bag I use to travel and not sure that I’ll need to keep removing it (kinda the point, no?) so not sure this is a huge negative tbh.
morges1 and TWCLAM like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:02 am

Without tracking, I'm really struggling to see the benefits of this (and I like a new gadget).
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:19 am

I use the normal plastic tags on my bags and they never last very long. The bag comes out onto the belt either missing the whole tag or with half a tag left. The electronic version looks very exposed attached to an already exposed handle. Good luck!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Whyone
Without tracking, I'm really struggling to see the benefits of this (and I like a new gadget).
I took the view that if I didn't try I wouldn't find out... I think the benefits right now are probably on the light side, which often applies to early adopters, but it looks like there will be iterative developments.
It's just a bit frustrating having a new toy that I won't be able to do anything with for a while.
avon75 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.