Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA multiple-use electronic digital baggage tags, introduced Jan 19

Old Dec 3, 18, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I noticed an article in Business Life magazine, which mentioned that electronic luggage tags would be available from January. I remember reading about this some time ago, but nothing ever materialised, so I just assumed that it was shelved.

There is a photo in the article and they look quite good. Apparently it connects to your app and you update it from there when you check in online. There is a snag however... they will be priced at £60 a piece, though I have to say, I am tempted.
Old Dec 3, 18, 5:41 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
How do these work? And what happens to your luggage when they break?
Old Dec 3, 18, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
I believe Rimowa stopped manufacturing suitcases with the embedded smart luggage tags because the whole concept was caught up in the vicious no-uptake circle. Airports and airlines were generally unmotivated to support them, customers were put off by the higher price for something that wasn't widely accepted, and so Rimowa gave up. Maybe it'll come back another time.
glennhaak likes this.

Last edited by LondonElite; Dec 3, 18 at 6:43 am
Old Dec 3, 18, 5:55 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
Thank you for re-raising this. It must be the longest trial in living history, as we were discussing it back in 2015!

Whatever happened to those electronic baggage tags?

As it appears we are finally now at implementation stage, to avoid fragmentation I've closed the first thread which is the closest thing we have to a dedicated discussion about the possible introduction, and would ask that we use this more up to date thread to now discuss the actual reality.

/mod
Old Dec 3, 18, 6:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titatnium, HH Gold
BA's IT is so good, what could go wrong?
Old Dec 3, 18, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by TRISTAR1979 View Post
I noticed an article in Business Life magazine, which mentioned that electronic luggage tags would be available from January. I remember reading about this some time ago, but nothing ever materialised, so I just assumed that it was shelved.

There is a photo in the article and they look quite good. Apparently it connects to your app and you update it from there when you check in online. There is a snag however... they will be priced at £60 a piece, though I have to say, I am tempted.
is this in the new BT, picked one up in the lounge last week but haven't opened it as of yet
Old Dec 3, 18, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mwp1 View Post

is this in the new BT, picked one up in the lounge last week but haven't opened it as of yet
It is the one in the seat back pocket on board.
Old Dec 3, 18, 6:21 am

Qantas have been using RFID permanent tags for years.

They're really sturdy and they price at A$29.95 (£17.50) for one or A$49.95 (£29.00) for two.

You also get them for free with your status. So instead of the red ones shown above, there are Silver, Gold and Platinum (Black) versions as well.

I believe you only get one set of two and no extras each year.

They are in use for all domestic flights within Australia. They're really handy, you just put your bag on the scale, input some details and off you go. No printing and attaching and messing around with paper.
SK, stephenjc and abersoch3254 like this.
Old Dec 3, 18, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT

Here is the article from Dec 2018 Magazine, Typical BA article says more details at www.ba.com/tag and that says more details soon,
Old Dec 3, 18, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
All very well, but I am reluctant to fork out for 6 of these when travelling with SWMBO...
Old Dec 3, 18, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by dcmike View Post
BA's IT is so good, what could go wrong?
You know how we get the wonderful emails about upcoming trips at random times and at least 6 months before the outbound flight? Well there's going to be a new, very exciting, "Electronic Luggage Tag Roulette" system where they will pick from the pool of upcoming flights they've already emailed you about
dcmike and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Dec 3, 18, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn View Post

Here is the article from Dec 2018 Magazine, Typical BA article says more details at www.ba.com/tag and that says more details soon,
I see what you mean...
Attached Images  
KeaneJohn and wilsnunn like this.
Old Dec 3, 18, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa View Post
You know how we get the wonderful emails about upcoming trips at random times and at least 6 months before the outbound flight? Well there's going to be a new, very exciting, "Electronic Luggage Tag Roulette" system where they will pick from the pool of upcoming flights they've already emailed you about
Depends on how itís been developed. At the last open day a few years ago the prototypes they had were firstly in colours in line with status and mooted to be free for status holders for the first tag. To update the bag you needed to get sync it with the app. I think Iíll watch the space first to see how things pan out before wasting £60 on this.
Old Dec 3, 18, 7:20 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by nwmgc View Post
All very well, but I am reluctant to fork out for 6 of these when travelling with SWMBO...

I like how they point out how good value it is, particularly if you can expense it...
I normally go HBO and only have luggage in the hold for 1 trip a year, I think I'll stay with the paper tags for a while longer yet.

Also, can they be remotely deactivated if they go missing? Otherwise I can see a bunch of them appearing on ebay fairly quickly "barely used, like new", at least until they become more widespread in use.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Dec 3, 18, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Silver; LH FTL; IHG Spire; Marriott Gold; Radisson Gold; ALL Silver; Hertz 5*; Starbucks Gold!
Here was their patent application 5 years ago - not sure how much they've changed their design since then, but that might have some further details...
Irreverent Medusa likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: