Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA multiple-use electronic digital baggage tags, introduced Jan 2019

BA multiple-use electronic digital baggage tags, introduced Jan 2019

Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mutu
The website is no longer functioning!!
I wonder if the same intern is dealing with TAG as the 747 domestic flights?!
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Got an email from the ViewTag COO no less, my order managed to slip through while they were carrying out final end to end production testing. To be fair it was at 4am Tuesday so very much ‘out of hours’.
The tags are launching ‘this month’ (so next week) and will ship mid July.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
With the amount of bumps my Rimowa comes back every time I check it in... I do not trust any of these innovations. The screen will be broken in the first trip, leading to lose the traceability.
I will stick to the regular sticky tags
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Circusplaza
With the amount of bumps my Rimowa comes back every time I check it in... I do not trust any of these innovations. The screen will be broken in the first trip, leading to lose the traceability.
I will stick to the regular sticky tags
Exactly - I gave up putting my exec bag tags as ID on my checked luggage (never hand luggage please!) after the first two broke on the first two trips.

Both were simply snapped in half in some machine or other.

Now - give me a sticky RFID tag that goes inside the paper baggage label and let me scan that with my phone OR an RFID tag which could go inside the case permanently ... now we're talking ...

But again - if you've only got one tag on your bag somewhere then the chances of it getting lost or whatever are higher. At least when you check in with BA they put the bag tag on, remove the secondary barcode and put that on the case directly etc. That means even if the primary label goes missing - they can still find out who owns it.

One RFID/E-Paper tag and if it goes snap or comes off - then your bag is lost and unidentifiable.

I get we want to cut down on paper waste - but there are better/more reliable/less fragile ways surely.
Jimmie76, T8191 and firstlight like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LBP2
Got an email from the ViewTag COO no less, my order managed to slip through while they were carrying out final end to end production testing. To be fair it was at 4am Tuesday so very much ‘out of hours’.
The tags are launching ‘this month’ (so next week) and will ship mid July.
They’ve now ‘launched’, shipping mid-July. Unfortunately too late for me to test on my holiday trip.

Don’t all rush at once

Mods - might be worth updating the thread title?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Platinum
I’ve just ordered 2. I’ve got flights in late July and late August so hopefully I’ll get the chance to use them soon and report back.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
The only way I see this having a value proposition is if it means that at BA outposts I can leave my bags and nip through security before the check-in desk opens 2h30m before the flight. Far too many a time I have arrived at the airport "too early", and been left sitting landside waiting for the clerks to turn up, instead of being productive in the lounge. Being able to avoid that would be worth the £63 for me.

It's unclear to me if that would be the case. The text on BA's site says (emphasis mine) "When the customer arrives at the airport, they are fully ready to travel and simply need to drop their bag at any bag drop desk." - does this mean I can just hand in my digitally tagged luggage at an AY desk at HEL? Or a DY desk at OSL? If yes, sold. If no, thanks but no thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Something to do with the tag has just appeared in the BA app which has just updated on my phone...
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by firstlight
Something to do with the tag has just appeared in the BA app which has just updated on my phone...
Where in the app is it? Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:33 am

Go to the main menu and then Settings to find the TAG option.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
with the frequency with which they mange to destroy my FF baggage tag, which is held on with a leather strap, I am worried that these TAG tags will get broken off.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by groenroos
The only way I see this having a value proposition is if it means that at BA outposts I can leave my bags and nip through security before the check-in desk opens 2h30m before the flight. Far too many a time I have arrived at the airport "too early", and been left sitting landside waiting for the clerks to turn up, instead of being productive in the lounge. Being able to avoid that would be worth the £63 for me.

It's unclear to me if that would be the case. The text on BA's site says (emphasis mine) "When the customer arrives at the airport, they are fully ready to travel and simply need to drop their bag at any bag drop desk." - does this mean I can just hand in my digitally tagged luggage at an AY desk at HEL? Or a DY desk at OSL? If yes, sold. If no, thanks but no thanks.
My reading would be at any BA bag drop desk not any other random airlines bag drop desks.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
My reading would be at any BA bag drop desk not any other random airlines bag drop desks.
I do too suspect that is the case, in honesty. But then am I missing something or do I just not see why this digital bag tag would make things faster or smoother at any point, if you still have to wait for the bag drop to open anyway, and then queue up all the same once it does? If there is no fully self-service entry to airside (and not just at Heathrow T5, but at the smaller outposts too), then what is the point to any of this? The cost of printing paper tags must be negligible, and as for the environmental concern, producing an electronic display will certainly use more resources and create more pollution than printing the 3,000 paper tags it replaces.

I... I don't get it.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: SPG GOLD / BA GOLD/Club Carlson Gold/AMEX Plat.
Question TAG by British Airways

Has anyone been a BETA tester or heard anything positive for the new TAG by British Airways? It's a digital baggage tag. They just updated their APP to reflect this.

.https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...igital-bag-tag
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Theres some recent discussion in this thread which I'd imagine this one may/will be merged into.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...an-19-a-3.html
rockflyertalk likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.