Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA multiple-use electronic digital baggage tags, introduced Jan 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA multiple-use electronic digital baggage tags, introduced Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
My friend Boris told me about these. Apparently. the Dark Web is already selling readers of these gadgets, and it is easy to combine the info from these with the various caches of data from previous hacks.

As it is BA's IT, what could possibly go wrong?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by nwmgc
All very well, but I am reluctant to fork out for 6 of these when travelling with SWMBO...
Why would you need 6 of them for a Single White Male Burmese Orangutan?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
My friend Boris told me about these. Apparently. the Dark Web is already selling readers of these gadgets, and it is easy to combine the info from these with the various caches of data from previous hacks.

As it is BA's IT, what could possibly go wrong?
Joking aside, I would imagine that contactless card skimmers could be used to do something nefarious with these.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by Deltus
Here was their patent application 5 years ago - not sure how much they've changed their design since then, but that might have some further details...
Ooooh there is provision for speakers. and a mike. We can look forward to our luggage asking "are we there yet?" every 5 minutes.

Edit: there's some reasonably far-fetched stuff too in that patent, such as "content sensing" what's inside the luggage and reconciliating that with your packing list, or being able to use the app to order items online for delivery at your destination, as well as security being able to query contents at checkpoints via the tag.
no2blues likes this.

Last edited by Irreverent Medusa; Dec 3, 2018 at 8:11 am
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

Joking aside, I would imagine that contactless card skimmers could be used to do something nefarious with these.

I don't see why these would need to encode anything other than a GUID, and could therefore be safer,

I had a friend staying with me last year who picked up the wrong bag from the carousel. From the printed baggage label I was able to discover the owner's email address, cell phone number, address, dob, employer, the details of the sex crime he had been accused of, and the address of his estranged wife and children.
no2blues likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I do recall reading that the Qantas smart tags serve a dual purpose, but can't find anything official on it.

Supposedly even if you're traveling on an itinerary that doesn't allow you to check your bag in with a smart tag, each tag is RFID coded with your FF number. That means that if the paper tag is damaged or lost and the bag arrives at a destination with a smart tag reader they can scan the smart tag and match it to your FF number as a kind of failsafe. Of course, the BAEC tags with a membership number printed on them probably achieve the same thing but these days everything has to be "smart".

I do hope more OW airlines adopt compatible smart tag technology and eventually allow for smart tags to be used on international routes. For example, if RFID readers at SYD could read BA smart tags, BA smart tags could theoretically be used in place of paper tags on flights between LHR and SYD.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
The Qantas tags now work well but on introduction bags were turning up all over the place and people gave up using them in the midst of chaos that resulted and QF had to do a lot of work to get people back to using them having sorted the problems. Now before that Qantas did not have a poor reputation for IT.

So this is BA and BA IT....

I'll stick to paper tags.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

Like what? Anything that a photograph of the information on a paper tag couldn't?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Once I get mine, I want to repeat this experiment: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-40577923
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:19 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
I would rather somebody invested in a system of getting Luggage from the Aircraft to the Carousel at MIA in Under an Hour
PlatinumScum and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR; AB Platinum; Hilton Diamond
F
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
I see what you mean...
at least the website is now showing something.
When I checked the linm on 2nd december, the website was still not available
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
I think I read somewhere that digital baggage tags will be introduced next year and will cost around Ł60. I for one am quite looking forward to this one if it works like QF (granted I last saw that system some 8 years ago!).
Old Dec 13, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am a massive technogeek and at first though I wanted one of these but having thought about it I am not yet convinced of the benefit to the passenger although I can see many more benefits to the airline/airport.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:00 am

I wonder when the first mass hack of iTags will take place. And where all of the luggage will end up.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:07 am

The only advantage I see is probably not even something BA/LHR would consider ... Being able to reroute bags en route. That is, if you miss a connection or fly standby on an earlier flight change the bag tag to match the new routing immediately. This seems like it would be possible even today though -- of course the tag wouldn't change today but when they scan it with a scanner the computer could look up the new routing. So the fact that they don't even try to do this makes me think it's not a technological limitation.

Other than that I see no advantage to the occasional traveler. For the frequent traveler I suppose merely having to remove the old bag tags on every trip must get old.
Arsey00 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.