Two BOB trolleys - the new norm?

Old Dec 3, 18, 6:14 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 247
Two BOB trolleys - the new norm?

Hi all,

I flew to ARN return this weekend for the first time - out on Friday morning and back Sunday night, both on pretty busy A320 flights. I was in ET row 12 (where else!) in both directions. My main observation was that both flights had 5 members of staff, 2 in CE (to about row 7 on both flights) and three for ET, where for the first time (for me) they were using two trolleys for the BOB run. One started at the CE curtain with one member of staff and the other started at Row 13 with two members of staff, this obviously meant the procedure was sped up quite significantly.

Is this the new norm? Or is this just standard on this clearly popular and business heavy route where there seemed to be high uptake from the trolley in both directions?

Ps. Since when was full fat tonic water removed the from the BOB drinks menu? The new choices of "Refreshingly light" or "Refreshingly light Mediterranean" are both pretty underwhelming in my opinion!
Joshm300 is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 6:23 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK
Programs: BA Bronze
Posts: 295
I canít comment on the trolley count, but I agree with you about the diet tonic being an abomination. I believe its removal is as a result of the sugar tax (thatís pushing-up the price from wholesale through to retail). Iíve noticed places like M&S stores at motorway services have only sucralose-based drinks these days (and whatever the purported flavour, they taste equally foul to me).
bernardh is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 6:40 am
  #3  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 42,292
I don't think this is new, on routes with a higher BoB uptake (such as ARN) and A321s there are 2 trolleys. There is reference to it in the main BoB thread from the early days after implementation. I've certainly seen 2 trolleys on several services. I guess with the neo A321s and perhaps neo A320 we will see it more often too.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Dec 3, 18, 7:20 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: LCY/DUB
Posts: 2,932
Originally Posted by bernardh View Post
I canít comment on the trolley count, but I agree with you about the diet tonic being an abomination. I believe its removal is as a result of the sugar tax (thatís pushing-up the price from wholesale through to retail). Iíve noticed places like M&S stores at motorway services have only sucralose-based drinks these days (and whatever the purported flavour, they taste equally foul to me).
Without wanting to drag the whole thread off topic isnít one of the key selling points of Fever Tree Light that it doesnít have sucralose (unlike other brands), rather it has natural based fructose and doesnít taste as sweet?
krispy84 likes this.
Kgmm77 is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 7:25 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: UK - South Coast
Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classť, plus BAEC.
Posts: 1,024
Originally Posted by Kgmm77 View Post
Without wanting to drag the whole thread off topic isnít one of the key selling points of Fever Tree Light that it doesnít have sucralose (unlike other brands), rather it has natural based fructose and doesnít taste as sweet (as well as whatever other benefits re the bodyís ability to break down and process)?
Beat me to the post!

I do think there should be a choice however.

OP, did it take long for the single-manned trolley to get to row 12? Asking from pure self-interest. 🙂
krispy84 is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 7:26 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 328
If thereís enough crew for 2 trolleys then we will use them. You need 3 in ET to make this work. The current standard is one starts at the front on their own on the first trolley, and two crew start from the back with the second and work to meet.
If only two crew are in ET, though, then only one trolley is used. On a 321 there is always enough crew for two trolleys under normal circumstances.
MFCC is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 7:54 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MME (midway between NCL and LBA)
Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
Posts: 623
Originally Posted by Kgmm77 View Post
Without wanting to drag the whole thread off topic isnít one of the key selling points of Fever Tree Light that it doesnít have sucralose (unlike other brands), rather it has natural based fructose and doesnít taste as sweet?
I just wish we could have Coke Zero on the BOB trolley.
highpeaklad likes this.
tigertanaka is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 8:09 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: LON/PEK
Programs: BA Silver; LH FTL, IHG Spire; Radisson Gold; Marriott Silver; ALL Silver; Hertz 5*
Posts: 1,570
Originally Posted by MFCC View Post
The current standard is one starts at the front on their own on the first trolley, and two crew start from the back with the second and work to meet
From the early days of the BoB thread, I thought it was impossible to operate a BoB trolley single-handed. Isn't some of the stuff only available from one side or the other? Or can it all be accessed from either side of the trolley?
Deltus is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 8:12 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: BAEC Silver, TK M&S Elite Plus, KE SPC, PC Bolbol, KK Brnz, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy
Posts: 2,766
In most of my IST-LHR flights during the last months, the situation was same. Even in an A320, 5 cabin crew members in total, 2 serving CE and the other 3 serving ET. And, the situation of the presence of two BoB trolleys on a single aircraft is not something new. In routes within Europe, they have reduced the High Life Onboard shopping trolley to one trolley and replaced it with another M&S BoB trolley since August ( the first time I experienced this situation ).
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 8:22 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 328
Originally Posted by Deltus View Post
From the early days of the BoB thread, I thought it was impossible to operate a BoB trolley single-handed. Isn't some of the stuff only available from one side or the other? Or can it all be accessed from either side of the trolley?
Thatís correct, some items will only be accessible by pulling out the drawer in front of it. Also, one of the crew members on the second trolley can run between and access the other side if needed.
MFCC is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 8:45 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 247
I would say it still took about 10/15mins to get from row 7 to 12, Easyjet certainly would have done it quicker! The main improvement is for those right down the back I guess!
krispy84 likes this.
Joshm300 is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 8:47 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 247
Originally Posted by MFCC View Post


Thatís correct, some items will only be accessible by pulling out the drawer in front of it. Also, one of the crew members on the second trolley can run between and access the other side if needed.
I guess this is why the crew on both my flights only choose to be about 5 rows apart as there was quite a lot of tooing and throwing between the trolleys for the middle member of staff. Especially on the morning flight where lots of boiling water was required for tea and coffee making!
Joshm300 is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 9:31 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,344
Originally Posted by bernardh View Post
I canít comment on the trolley count, but I agree with you about the diet tonic being an abomination. I believe its removal is as a result of the sugar tax (thatís pushing-up the price from wholesale through to retail). Iíve noticed places like M&S stores at motorway services have only sucralose-based drinks these days (and whatever the purported flavour, they taste equally foul to me).
The sugar tax on a can of tonic water is between 3 and 4p. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with it!
callum9999 is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 9:47 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 511
The trolleys are now packed with all items available both side (it's only taken nearly 2 years). On the neo and densified CEO aircraft, there is now no High Life shopping at all, and M&S trolley is stored in the front galley, so there may be a delay in starting the Club service while they wait for the BOB trolley to be set up.
bwaflyer is offline  
Old Dec 3, 18, 9:47 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London
Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Posts: 3,097
Originally Posted by callum9999 View Post
The sugar tax on a can of tonic water is between 3 and 4p. It couldn't possibly have anything to do with it!
How much did they save when they temporarily stopped providing a single flower in the first class toilet?
BAAZ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: