Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is British Airways the airline with the worst long haul economy seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is British Airways the airline with the worst long haul economy seat?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by warreng
I had a similar conversation with someone on a BA transatlantic flight who said "who really cares about cattle class, you're crammed into an uncomfortably small space, it's going to be bad no matter which airline you're flying with". I disagreed with him and took the view that since you're in an uncomfortably small space the little things go a long way in economy.

I haven't done a long haul flight in QF economy for quite a while now but the last BA flight I did in economy was fine. I'm a 6'3/105kg rugby player and I didn't feel particularly uncomfortable. Food was average but the food in CW isn't much better frankly.
Does it depend on size? I'm tall and find all Y very uncomfortable so don't notice any major differences. If you're smaller, maybe the most spacious ones feel better?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by callum9999
Does it depend on size? I'm tall and find all Y very uncomfortable so don't notice any major differences. If you're smaller, maybe the most spacious ones feel better?
I was referring more to the non-ergonomic aspects - good IFE, clean cabin/bathrooms, access to water throughout the flight, noise cancelling headphones, edible food, good cabin service. I'm never going to be physically comfortable in any Y seat but those basic things can help with general comfort levels.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
I was referring more to the non-ergonomic aspects - good IFE, clean cabin/bathrooms, access to water throughout the flight, noise cancelling headphones, edible food, good cabin service. I'm never going to be physically comfortable in any Y seat but those basic things can help with general comfort levels.
Which airline(s) do noise cancelling headphones in economy?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by audio-nut
I'm not sure why you just called out their economy seats. They are the worst in first and business too.
Another pointless post ! Just to come out with that & then nothing.

F & CW are great cabins. People get hung up on the number of seats & the few that have to climb over someone’s feet but the actual seats are super comfy for sitting, lounging & sleeping !

Worst in first & business ...... makes me laugh !!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:38 pm

I have never flown economy on OS but their J is so bad they must have the world’s worst Y.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by icegirl
Which airline(s) do noise cancelling headphones in economy?
Qantas used to on certain routes, I don't know if they still do.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by richardwft
Which BA aircraft type was it SIN-SYD ?
I flew the 787 between LHR and SIN and the A380 to/from SYD. This was Y on BA metal.

I've flown QF SIN-SYD and QF domestic within the last 12 months. All in Y. Much prefer the BA seats.

To echo the experience of our 6'5" rugby player up-thread. I'm 6'3" and the worst thing (which isn't really that bad, I don't feel like the seats are bad at all) about BA seats for me is that when I fall asleep my arms lose circulation because of how they rest against the armrests and I get pins and needles. Plus sitting up and sleeping is impossible. My knees fit fine.

Last edited by jerub; Dec 3, 2018 at 3:26 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by jerub
I flew the 787 between LHR and SIN and the A380 to/from SYD. This was Y on BA metal.

I've flown QF SIN-SYD and QF domestic within the last 12 months. All in Y. Much prefer the BA seats.

To echo the experience of our 6'5" rugby player up-thread. I'm 6'3" and the worst thing about BA seats for me is that when I fall asleep my arms lose circulation because of how they rest against the armrests and I get pins and needles. Plus sitting up and sleeping is impossible. My knees fit fine.
Errrr ...... This is not right. LHR-SIN is operated with A380 and 77W. SIN-SYD-SIN is the carried on 77W service. Nevertheless the Y seats all pretty much the same & yes better than others.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
Errrr ...... This is not right. LHR-SIN is operated with A380 and 77W. SIN-SYD-SIN is the carried on 77W service. Nevertheless the Y seats all pretty much the same & yes better than others.
Sorry, other way around. Yep.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I don't mind BA's Y seats, and actually prefer them to AC and KL on the long haul.
NZ Y is far better though, mainly due to the 2 inches extra of pitch which really does make a difference!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Recently travelled in Y on BA in both a 747 and a 787. As somebody at 6ft 1in, I found the 747 much more comfortable than the much newer 787.

Compared to recent trips on other OW carriers:

- QR A380 and A350 in Y pretty comfortable - more than BA 747 (but had bulkhead seats both times so this is skewed)
- QR 737 worse than BA 747, better than BA 787
- CX (can’t remember the plane) between NRT and HKG was the most uncomfortable I have ever been on a long haul flight

sorry I realise that this is not the clearest post ever made...
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
While they are not exactly setting the world alight, but nowhere near the worst at all. The 747 seats are actually quite pleasantly cushioned and the newer 777 and A380 are nice modern seats with decent legroom and width until the 3-4-3 777 comes along.

That said the most comfortable Y seat I have ever been on are the ones on CX 77W but they are reconfiguring them too.

Originally Posted by wilsnunn

- CX (can’t remember the plane) between NRT and HKG was the most uncomfortable I have ever been on a long haul flight
Must have been them fixed shell slides, was on a CX 747 a few years back, 12 hours, unbearable, talk about a bad long haul seat. Glad they reacted quickly and got them off long haul.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:23 am

Ah ok. I'm not as fussy as most people on here so pretty much every flight is at least adequate. If one has better IFE, food etc. then I might notice, but it doesnt really affect my overall flight comfort at all.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by JulianL
Must have been them fixed shell slides, was on a CX 747 a few years back, 12 hours, unbearable, talk about a bad long haul seat. Glad they reacted quickly and got them off long haul.
Yes that was it. Thank goodness they don’t have it on the longer flights anymore. I can’t imagine sitting in that seat for 12 hours!
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:25 am

Seats that slide forward suck if you are tall. They decrease your legroom from nothing to less than nothing. No thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.