Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is British Airways the airline with the worst long haul economy seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is British Airways the airline with the worst long haul economy seat?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I personally find the 380 Y seat to be my favorite Y around. No idea why, but I sleep better there than in any other seat.
Top deck? Its nice with the side bins.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:39 pm

I'm not sure why you just called out their economy seats. They are the worst in first and business too.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
There is an obvious solution which is to avoid Y on all flights, all airlines and short or long haul.
Indeed, if using OPM then it's fine. However some of us live in the real world where corporate policy and/or our customers dictate the class of service.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: Complete Pleb, former BAEC Gold, former MH Silver
With all the different varieties of aircraft and layouts, its impossible to take such a sweeping generalisation seriously.

The Y layout on a QF A-330 is like a sardine can, a BA 777-300 is far more preferable. Where as the QF A-380 is more spacious in Y and probably becomes more preferable.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Mate, this is FT - no-one cares about the Longhaul Y seats

Now if you want to complain about Yingyang vs Herringbone then feel free, but you'll probably still receive some fervent counterarguments!
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I hate hate hate the articulated seats. If the person in front of you reclines you totally lose the ability to use your table tray.

On a ba Y seat you can use a tablet or small laptop, and eat your meal in peace, even if they recline.

Talking to my aussie friends about "is it morally acceptable to recline your airline seat, or are you a steaming pile of human waste?" They always think it's the latter because of their experiences on QF.

I've recently flown BA in Y LHR-SYD (787 + A380) and honestly, the worst thing is the clapped out entertainment system.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 3:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerub
......I've recently flown BA in Y LHR-SYD (787 + A380) and honestly, the worst thing is the clapped out entertainment system.
Which BA aircraft type was it SIN-SYD ?

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Dec 3, 2018 at 5:50 am
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:06 am

Programs: BA GGL
It's all roughly the same tbh. At least you can ask for several gins without staff batting an eyelid (not so on AA).

The thing with the newer planes is the seat width tends to be slightly less to accommodate more passengers in aircraft that aren't as wide - so comfort isn't going to improve, frankly, whichever carrier you fly.

People have made a lot of noise about Air New Zealand being good/better (which I've never flown, so can't comment from experience).
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by audio-nut
I'm not sure why you just called out their economy seats. They are the worst in first and business too.
Worst in everything on the ground as well as in the air. Even PUCCI GALORE's erotic dance routine to entertain the F customers when the IFE went on the blink got the thumbs down I heard.
Cap'n Benj likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:16 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by audio-nut
Do try to keep up, people have finally got bored of that, so we’re all moving on to bashing Y

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Dec 3, 2018 at 7:17 am Reason: incorrect auto correct
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by massi1234
I get that the seats old planes are what they are but on new planes (777-300,787,a389) surely they could do better. I have been on both qantas and Qatar recently and both have an articulates seat pan in economy. When you recline the seat pan moves slightly forward. It is a small movement but makes a difference on a long flight.
BA on their new seats don't have this feature. Given how long the seats last it is pretty shameful of them. To fly and to serve... The shareholder only. Surely the option on the articulated seat pan (also on some Virgin and I think United dreamliner) is not going to cost that much more... But makes a big difference for comfort. Also .. On a side note. Qantas food... Perhaps presented without the frills of a tray but for the first time have not been hungry in economy unlike ba. Better food and better portions.

BA has completely stopped trying to improve the economy experience and innovate positively (not coat cutting....)
So when did you sample this BA seat? Route etc would be helpful as even comfy seats after several hours.... aren't so comfy.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by massi1234
I get that the seats old planes are what they are but on new planes (777-300,787,a389) surely they could do better. I have been on both qantas and Qatar recently and both have an articulates seat pan in economy. When you recline the seat pan moves slightly forward. It is a small movement but makes a difference on a long flight.
BA on their new seats don't have this feature. Given how long the seats last it is pretty shameful of them. To fly and to serve... The shareholder only. Surely the option on the articulated seat pan (also on some Virgin and I think United dreamliner) is not going to cost that much more... But makes a big difference for comfort. Also .. On a side note. Qantas food... Perhaps presented without the frills of a tray but for the first time have not been hungry in economy unlike ba. Better food and better portions.

BA has completely stopped trying to improve the economy experience and innovate positively (not coat cutting....)
I'm sure this dubious honour must go to air china or another chinese airline, with the also food strongly complementing the discomfort in the seat pitch.
Many years ago in my youth I was forced onto one of air china's planes to have my worst flying experience. so uncomfortable, and the plane stank badly. in those days, people with babies used to put the used nappies in the magazine placeholder. BA couldn't do worse than that surely? Although, last time out they thought I should clean up the previous occupants mess. So poor.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
I had a similar conversation with someone on a BA transatlantic flight who said "who really cares about cattle class, you're crammed into an uncomfortably small space, it's going to be bad no matter which airline you're flying with". I disagreed with him and took the view that since you're in an uncomfortably small space the little things go a long way in economy.

I haven't done a long haul flight in QF economy for quite a while now but the last BA flight I did in economy was fine. I'm a 6'3/105kg rugby player and I didn't feel particularly uncomfortable. Food was average but the food in CW isn't much better frankly.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
People have made a lot of noise about Air New Zealand being good/better (which I've never flown, so can't comment from experience).
I flew NZ in Y in Oct. The legroom was good, staff were excellent and overall it was a pleasant experience.

However, Y is Y etc ......
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: AA : BA
I suggest the OP tries BF (French Bee) - 10 across seating on an A350.
ORY to PPT. 20 hours in a 16" seat.

Come back and let us know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.