Community
Wiki Posts
Search

48 in CE - good idea?!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:03 am

I too would love to see a 2X2 seating arrangement but I also doubt it will ever happen, in fact they have already started removing the middle seat tray table blocker so further densification may be in our future.

The thing that really chaps my a** is the seat pitch being the same throughout the cabin, surely CE seating should have some extra legroom.
lhrpete and Sealink like this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SpeedbirdLHR
I think that the people doing the people looking at things as you put it are doing their job thoroughly and reaching the appropriate conclusions hence why we are seeing full cabins and in recent years the introduction of Club Europe on domestic services. This was something that for a long time many thought wouldn't work as it reduces capacity and therefore was a question of maintaining the income versus the reduced seating capacity by removal of 2 seats per row. Clearly they judged that it was the right time for it, leading to the introduction on domestic flights.
I very much doubt BA *wanted* to introduce CE on domestic routes and I also doubt this was done because they reasoned that standalone domestic CE tickets were a good idea. Rather I suspect BA had its hand forced by the fact that all of the competition offers a J product from U.K. regional airports (whether the likes of AF and KL connecting to the US or EK and the like going East) and after domestics stopped receiving free catering BA was frightened about the competitiveness of their product from the regions.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I very much doubt BA *wanted* to introduce CE on domestic routes and I also doubt this was done because they reasoned that standalone domestic CE tickets were a good idea. Rather I suspect BA had its hand forced by the fact that all of the competition offers a J product from U.K. regional airports (whether the likes of AF and KL connecting to the US or EK and the like going East) and after domestics stopped receiving free catering BA was frightened about the competitiveness of their product from the regions.
A very senior BA staffer told me the decision to introduce CE to domestic flights was directly related to the introduction of BoB.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

A very senior BA staffer told me the decision to introduce CE to domestic flights was directly related to the introduction of BoB.
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
The decision wasn't linked to what other carriers offered as other carriers has offered a J product for a long time while BA continued to offer Business UK. There has long been a desire for this move and as mentioned the move to BoB helped to build the business case for the move. My point was that those whose job it is to look at this, did so and made the right conclusion that it was needed. Similarly, they continue to look at the performance of CE and how it is performing. If there was a case to be made for a change, then they would similarly make that case.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by flyslow
Booked LHR-TLL for 1st of March in ET and seats up to row 14 show as blocked. Was there a CE sale I missed?
And just got booted out of exit row on the way back in 4th of March. Didn''t think that TLL would be so CE heavy.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
Call bells going off - could be a coke, could be a stroke. Someone needs to keep a handle on all of that!
That's made me chuckle.....

Originally Posted by bisonrav
I had one who spent the last third of the flight reading a paperback on her jump seat rather than proactively offering drinks. There's a wide spectrum of CSMs on BA, most are very good but you do get the occasional very poor one.
Or a normally good one having a really bad day maybe...

Originally Posted by jerub
On the opposite end of this. I had a single crewmember on LGW-AMS in CE, and 2 pax. They barely managed to clear my tray before landing, and seemed busy the whole time.

The galley work seems very intensive on the new CE service.
What BA should do is get some 767s to do the longer European stuff. Two aisles, bigger galleys. That kinda thing...... Oh, wait......
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Just as a data point, flew BSL-LHR last week with 12 rows of Club (48 pax). The service was done above Paris (!) which I found super impressive. The 3 crew working in Club were very well organised. IMHO this shows that it is feasible but requires experienced, well-organised crews.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by teledude
AA generally manage it well - but they limit domestic F cabin sizes to what they can cope with.
OTOH
AA more often does not give PDB (though nor does BA) and generally does not start service until 45 minutes into the flight, at which point BA is well into the service.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I was on a flight from Copenhagen with I think 44 CE pax.

Service was good, but they couldn't give the same attention as my outbound flight with a more typical cabin of 5 to 6 rows.

BA should give thought to this more with their flexible cabin sizes. I was in Row 1 so clearly got all my choices. That said, once I was in Row 8 and my choice wasnt available and the alternative was fantastic.

It really is all down to having an assertive CSM and engaged crew, which is very much within BA's hands to deliver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.