Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Please help me avoid throwing away a First Class ticket :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I had a ticket...

30-Nov BCN-LHR J
01-Dec LHR-DXB A
05-Dec DXB-LHR A
05-Dec LHR-BCN J

...issued under a fare with basis IBCRES21 and a GUF1 voucher via Propeller Travel on 31-Oct.

Fare = GBP 1450 (EUR 1632)
Taxes = GBP 341.94

Change fee = EUR 200 plus fare difference
Refund fee = EUR 100 before departure, non-refundable after departure

I travelled as planned BCN-LHR and overnighted at the Sofitel Terminal 5. Approximately two hours before travel I found that I had to travel to Newcastle for unavoidable personal reasons. Flights were unavailable so I went to King's Cross and took the train. Since travel had already begun my ticket was now non-refundable. These things happen. I make no complaint.

But before I left Heathrow I visited the ticket desk and changed my flight to the following:

30-Nov BCN-LHR J
05-Dec NCL-LHR J
05-Dec LHR-BCN J

Fare = EUR 1688
Taxes = GB 26.00, UB 26.14, XT 32.60 (I am not sure which currency)

The ticket has been reissued.

GOOD PEOPLE OF FLYERTALK!

I can still buy travel to Barcelona on Wednesday for much less than the value of the coupons outstanding. I ask ... is there anything you can think of that I can do to salvage value from this ticket? Am I right in assuming that I cannot salvage the GUF even if I change back to another longhaul itinerary? I might have some longhaul travel to San Diego coming up next year but this is still very uncertain...

Many thanks in advance.

Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:28 am

I've no idea about the GUF I'm afraid, but it sounds like you've turned the ticket into a fully flex J ticket. My understanding is that this should allow you to do pretty much what you want with it now, the one big restriction being that any refund will be minus the underlying non-refundable I fare you paid.

There was a thread about this a while ago where I expressed surprise that it was possible to salvage a ticket in this way, but seemingly it is. Of course all dependent on the specific fare rules, so you'd want to check exactly what it says in those rules for the NCL-BCN you now have.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:46 am

I can't help with this, it does seem very complicated to me (and this from someone who many years ago passed BA Ticketing exams 1 and 2!). Anyway really just to say bad luck Sixth Freedom, and I hope you can manage to salvage maximum value from this ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.