AA wants to move to T5 LHR

Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by allturnleft
what anout the terminal 5 transit train from A to C extending to T3 so the terminals are infact linked ? I wonder why this wasn’t designed in from the start

I mentioned this elsewhere in the thread but the main factor would be money. Also if you go for it, might as well dig the tunnel all the way to T1 to future-proof it. The marginal amount of money extra wouldn't be a huge deal. (Side note, my employer would likely make money on that project so I'm all for it)
allturnleft likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Why would BA move from a terminal (T5) that was essentially built to their specification and that they have only used for 10 years?

And why would HAL then spend a small fortune reconfiguring it so multiple other airlines could use it?
Because the government would label it Hexit and remind BA and HAL that it's "what the people want".
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
AA must be the biggest foreign operator (by pax number) at LHR? A move to T5 would be very significant.

Although T3 is showing its age, I think BAEC elites enjoy it because of the lounge options, which, coupled with shorter travel time to central London, more than makes up for lack of First Wing. I certainly like it.

I've never done a T3 to T5, but nobody has much good to say about it, so if there were a way of significantly improving that side of things then everyone would be happier.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
AA must be the biggest foreign operator (by pax number) at LHR? A move to T5 would be very significant.
A significant proportion (I'd say as much as 3/4) of AA's transatlantic flights are actually operated by BA so having all of them fly out of the same terminal would probably result in fewer confused American tourists. I can see why AA would be keen on it, BA not so much.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
In terms of overcrowding the lounges, my thinking was build a d concourse specifically for AA and put an AA lounge in there so there was no additional burden on the existing lounges.
redeyedonkey likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur

I'd be curious if it were AA or EK. 6 380s a day can haul quite a few people.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I imagine AA would like to move their JFK flights over initially so that the JBA could really offer a seamless shuttle service on the $1billion route.

More BA flights from T3 would be good - better lounges at the very least.
There are better lounges in T3 - just BA don't run them. ;-)
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO; DL GLD
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
I'd be curious if it were AA or EK. 6 380s a day can haul quite a few people.
It's AA.

On their busiest day they run 4 A333s (291pax ea..), 3 788s (226 pax ea.), 5 77Ws (304 ea.) and 6 772s (273 ea.) for a total of 5,000 pax on the nose.

Using the high-density configured A388s on Emirates (517 pax ea.) is 3,201 pax.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
The best way to improve the connections experience all round would be to eliminate unnecessary security screening for transiting passengers, starting with those countries who have security screening that is in line with UK/EU standards.

How about putting all BA flights from trusted countries (such as EU, USA, CAN, SIN, AUS, JPN, ICE, RSA, ISR) into T5 and the rest to T3. This would mean than any transiting passengers arriving from those countries would be in one place and would not have to re-clear security at LHR as the baggage screening at their original departure point would be deemed sufficient for the UK. Arriving passengers from these countries would be decanted into a passport control area and then simply walk into T5A or get on a sterile transfer bus to another terminal.

So T5 would gain 19 destinations like GIB, KEF, CPT, LAS, DEN, MIA, VIE, HEL and BCN.
T3 would get an additional 39 destinations including NAS, HKG, BOM, HND, DME, DXB, BKK and IST

Of course it is doubtful that T3 could cope with adding all those mainly LH routes. But if we then moved fellow IAG company EI (DUB) plus oneworld members AY (HEL), QF (3 routes), JL (HND) and AA (8 routes) into T5, this might make a bit of space elsewhere.

AMS implemented a segregated arrivals process in 2015 (only bags from non-trusted countries are scanned on arrival) and it is now a thousand times better than before.

Of course I recognise that this is an armchair CEO idea and that the current T3/T5 route split reflects the amount of transiting traffic but this idea would make life a lot easier for the majority of transiting passengers and enable BA to reduce the T5-T5 MCT by 10 minutes or so. Naturally a few extra transit buses might be needed......
And of course that's exactly what happens in most sensible places in the world but LHR is not a sensible place and of course TLV could never be included as they allow liquids of more than 100mls through their check points as the Israelis don't and never have adopted a one size fits all approach to security. That their security is the best in the world would be irrelevant to the powers that be in the UK and anything contining 101mls or more of liquid would have to be destroyed by an LHR security jobsworth!
tigertanaka likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If LHR wants to remain competitive as a European hub into the future, they're going to have to have a more seamless connecting experience that trusts security from other European countries, the USA, etc. Of course, I never underestimate the UK Government's poor coordination of its functions and their ability to cut off its nose to spite its face and any talk of coordinated industrial, commercial, tourism, etc, policies is quickly undermined by contrary policies and obstruction from some other tentacle of government.

However, even then, trying to divide routes into those where passengers require security and those that don't is going to be futile, since there's a mix of people from various origins connecting onto any flight. In particular, with BA's Indian and Asian connections there are people from the EU, the non-EU, the USA, and South America connecting into those Indian and Asian flights. SImilarly for flights to the USA.

Putting the same destinations, or the same countries, into the same terminal within Oneworld is far more sensible - that's why HEL is from T3, and I expect why AA would like to operate their flights from T5 because then they're co-located with the BA flights to the USA.

If UK government and Heathrow Airport had their act in order, there would be an inter terminal train airside between T5A, T5B, T5C, T3 and T2 and coming from the US, EU, or other trusted countries you would just board the train towards your next destination. T5 for North America, T3 for South America (LATAM), Finland (Finnair), Singapore/Australia (QANTAS), Hong Kong (Cathay), T2 for Aer Lingus. Also, this gives much easier connections between Star Alliance and Oneworld if you want to do that, and easier connections means more traffic and revenue for Heathrow.

(T4 is a harder engineering problem to reach, though you could run an automated people mover round a curve to T4 and then you've got Qatar on the same train for Oneworld purposes).
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Kent
It's AA. On their busiest day they run 4 A333s (291pax ea..), 3 788s (226 pax ea.), 5 77Ws (304 ea.) and 6 772s (273 ea.) for a total of 5,000 pax on the nose. Using the high-density configured A388s on Emirates (517 pax ea.) is 3,201 pax.
Interesting. Are BA and AA the two biggest airlines (by passenger numbers) at LHR?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Interesting. Are BA and AA the two biggest airlines (by passenger numbers) at LHR?
I would imagine it'd be BA by a massive margin, VS, then everyone else.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Virgin have 24 wide bodies per day out of LHR, nothing smaller than an A333.
American at 18, United close by at 16 with Delta opetating 8 on their own metal.
Aer Lingus follow close by in terms of passenger volume.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA : BA
revorgap likes this.

Last edited by SoggyDollar; Dec 5, 2018 at 2:09 pm Reason: weekly seats - not sure how up to date
Old Apr 20, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: BAEC
Well AA is moving to T2 for the time being. If there was one airline that would have moved to T5 it would have been AA so I guess everyone will just go into T2.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.