Search

AA wants to move to T5 LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by layz
Is there actually any space in T5C, I've read before that space was reserved for a lounge there but T5C is smaller than T5B so is that really the case?
I think BA would like to keep their brand exclusively on the main lounges in T5A, after all they consider that their home terminal. T3 would make more sense for a oneworld lounge, but I imagine how annoyed everyone would be if the many lounges in T3 were replaced with a larger BA run OW lounge!
There is space if BA needs it to expand the galleries south complex in T5A. It would be possible (but I can't see it happening) that BA could extend the club lounge in the south and allow AA to take over the running of the north lounge.
Pretty sure I have read on here before that it was all in the original plans and that you can see in 5C where the space has been left for escalators up to a mezzanine lounge?
geo1005 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
Pretty sure I have read on here before that it was all in the original plans and that you can see in 5C where the space has been left for escalators up to a mezzanine lounge?
There's some space in T5C, that's for sure, as well as there's the possibility of extending the building the way it was meant to be before the economy collapsed in '08, i.e. with the building going beyond, above the bin storage facility and the baggage emergency handling area (I now forgot its name). Back in 2011/12 there was an anaysis made into whether a lounge was needed there as part of the A380 readiness and it was judged not to be the case as the amount of time passengers could legitimately stay there was fairly short, given the average connection and the amount of time a plane was likely to be there on stand ahead of its departure.

Then I think the plans were being revisited as part of T5 "Plus", the project - accompanying the 3rd runway - to increase T5 beyond its 36m capacity. I know they were planning to extend T5C in different ways and bring the off-pier stands on pier but I'd say that Covid has put quite the dampener on that, on the 3rd runway and on big investment for a long, long, long time to come.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 4:29 am

Programs: BAEC
All AA flights (except LHR-JFK) will move back to T3 from 3rd August. AA flights to JFK will remain at T5.

JL will also move back to T3.

Source: London Air Travel
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It is also saying that today on the Heathrow Airport website, well some of the website, and with the wrong date. AA's own flight status thingy still says T5 (e.g. AA 109 to BOS). It's for sure a number of people are going to turning up at the wrong place tomorrow and there are some morning USA flights in the frame here. I don't think there is any lounge provision either.

"From 2 August, American Airlines and Japan Airlines will operate from Terminal 3 (American Airlines flights to New York JFK will remain in Terminal 5). Other airlines will return to Terminal 3 over a phased period of time, dates for which will be communicated beforehand. "

https://www.heathrow.com/at-the-airp...which-terminal
Old Aug 2, 2021, 7:36 am

FWIW, AA134 landed today, the 2nd, and parked up at T5.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is also saying that today on the Heathrow Airport website, well some of the website, and with the wrong date. AA's own flight status thingy still says T5 (e.g. AA 109 to BOS). It's for sure a number of people are going to turning up at the wrong place tomorrow and there are some morning USA flights in the frame here. I don't think there is any lounge provision either.

"From 2 August, American Airlines and Japan Airlines will operate from Terminal 3 (American Airlines flights to New York JFK will remain in Terminal 5). Other airlines will return to Terminal 3 over a phased period of time, dates for which will be communicated beforehand. "

https://www.heathrow.com/at-the-airp...which-terminal
Thanks CWS. And yet AA.com is still saying all operations are out of T5. Surely this whole thing could have been managed more smoothly and with better communication. Passengers are bound to end up in the wrong terminal, miss connections, etc. And as for luggage....
Old Aug 2, 2021, 10:08 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
I just had an email from BA that my AA operated flight next week is leaving out of T3 and to note the change, so they seem to be getting round to telling folk.
MMB also has the new information.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
I just had an email from BA that my AA operated flight next week is leaving out of T3 and to note the change, so they seem to be getting round to telling folk.
MMB also has the new information.
Just got the same. First change of many for my reservation, I think. I expect to end up on LX when BA cancels ZRH-LHR so it should work out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.