Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Advice please, LHR, Toronto, Vancouver plus BA1!

Advice please, LHR, Toronto, Vancouver plus BA1!

Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by TedToToe
. I need to be in Calgary during the first week of March; I know I could fly AC but bear with me*.
BA has suspended their YYC flights until the end of March I believe. YYC is really a *A city, there is very little OW. In March I think the only OW service is AA to DFW. There is seasonal to PHX and there used to be to ORD, but I can't find anything in March.

Westjet flies nonstop to JFK, that might be your best bet. It's a Delta codeshare.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Many thanks to all, Jagboi I am tempted by The Canadian, I did Banff to Toronto on it almost 40 years ago! So current plan is to search Matrix for an ex EU to find an 'affordable' BA1, 3 days in NYC. Separate ticket to Toronto, Train to Vancouver, BA WTP back to LHR. I will let you know if it works out! JT
TedToToe likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:40 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
As a Vancouver resident, the real gem in the North American One World travel is the YVR-JFK Cathay flight. It is well timed after business hours and is a steal in business or first as the hardware is phenomenal compared to what you'd get on usual mainline routes. I'd be working in a short stop in New York if you had the time.

The Air Canada signature service business class on their wide bodies is the next most logical choice. The recliner seats aren't so exciting.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
As a Vancouver resident, the real gem in the North American One World travel is the YVR-JFK Cathay flight. It is well timed after business hours and is a steal in business or first as the hardware is phenomenal compared to what you'd get on usual mainline routes. I'd be working in a short stop in New York if you had the time.
That could work very well for me: LHR-DFW-YYC outbound and YVR-JFK-LHR inbound. It looks like 140 TP on the Cathay sector!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
As a Vancouver resident, the real gem in the North American One World travel is the YVR-JFK Cathay flight.....
Thanks for this. I have made a note for a future RTW trip that I want to do that will include YVR.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC gold (silver most of the time), ex-bmi (RIP) ex-silver, and a fistful of Amexes
Thanks also for the YVR-JFK trip... we don't get to that side as often as we'd like (family is YYZ).

On the issue of BA1, it's a great service (shame it's got cut back to a single plane a day) but the BA1 service isn't the best bit, since you still do have to pfaff around at Shannon (even if it saves a larger pfaff at JFK). It's the return flight BA2 that's the winner, direct to City airport and at your desk in City/CW in minutes.

Traditionally (E&OE, as there's no guarantees) the sort of open-jaw flights got really cheap on AA ticketing during the August sale and the post-Xmas/January sale, and BA1/BA2 would be part of it.

Last edited by sky-rat; Dec 15, 2018 at 5:42 am Reason: edit: clarifying cut to BA1/BA2 is historical
Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by sky-rat
Thanks also for the YVR-JFK trip... we don't get to that side as often as we'd like (family is YYZ).

On the issue of BA1, it's a great service (shame it's being cut back) but the BA1 service isn't the best bit, since you still do have to pfaff around at Shannon (even if it saves a larger pfaff at JFK). It's the return flight BA2 that's the winner, direct to City airport and at your desk in City/CW in minutes.

Traditionally (E&OE, as there's no guarantees) the sort of open-jaw flights got really cheap on AA ticketing during the August sale and the post-Xmas/January sale, and BA1/BA2 would be part of it.
What cut back?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC gold (silver most of the time), ex-bmi (RIP) ex-silver, and a fistful of Amexes
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
What cut back?
They used to do two planes a day: BA1 and BA3 from LCY, BA2 and BA4 back again. The cut to a single plane per day was (IIRC-- and someone will correct me if not) a couple of years ago. There are old threads in the BA forum on this speculating on the causes.

There are inevitably rumours/speculation on the future, which always focus on the downside (I cannot recall ever seeing a rumour suggesting the second daily plane would be reinstated) but I have no special insight into that

Last edited by sky-rat; Dec 15, 2018 at 5:42 am Reason: edit: updated original post--apologies for loose wording
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
That happened well over a year ago and is past news and has been discussed several times.

Your post implied that more cuts were in the offing to the BA1 service.

But it makes no difference to this thread and the OP what happened last year or the year before.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.