Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade on Award Ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Downgrade on Award Ticket

I was recently downgraded on a long-haul Club World award ticket (to WTP). I was quickly refunded 75% of the avios points, but none of the taxes. Similar experiences? I filled out a customer service form online, but still waiting a response after 3 weeks. Should I call?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
I don’t think the taxes betweeen WTP and CW are any different. Ca and WT would be different. What cabin were you sat in?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

I was sat in WT+. However, given that the downgrade was involuntary, I was under the impression that 75% of taxes are refunded nonetheless, as per EU rules. I was never asked if I wanted to be in WT+ and wouldn’t have really paid extra over WT for that “benefit”.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
I don’t think the taxes betweeen WTP and CW are any different. Ca and WT would be different. What cabin were you sat in?
not taxes per se, but there is a difference in carrier surcharge. however as this is an involuntary downgrade perhaps the 75% fare compensation includes 75% of the total taxes/fees/charges?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:21 pm

Given that I was asked to pay ~Ł100 to upgrade LHR-YVR-LHR from WTP to CW there definetly is a difference in "taxes and surcharges" between the cabins
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hypercrypt
Given that I was asked to pay ~Ł100 to upgrade LHR-YVR-LHR from WTP to CW there definetly is a difference in "taxes and surcharges" between the cabins
I would suggest that GBP 100 to upgrade from WTP to CW for LHR-YVR-LHR was something of a bargain.

Doc Copper
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
@doc - maybe they meant 100 difference in surcharges? If not 100% agree that's the deal of the century lmao
hypercrypt likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
what 'taxes' do you think you you should get back?

UK APD is the same for WTP and CW for example.

This is a case where the proper delineation between taxes, fees and surcharges is important
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
This question probably belongs in the EC261 thread: The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004. In particular post #5 in that thread deals with downgrades and may cast some light on this.

In short, I would expect that you are entitled to a refund of 75% of the Avios, as well as 75% of the carrier surcharge (but not other taxes and fees). However, I am not sure whether there is binding precedent on this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:26 pm

If anyone at BA actually cared about you you would get a full refund.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Infinite Possibilities
This question probably belongs in the EC261 thread: The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004. In particular post #5 in that thread deals with downgrades and may cast some light on this.

In short, I would expect that you are entitled to a refund of 75% of the Avios, as well as 75% of the carrier surcharge (but not other taxes and fees). However, I am not sure whether there is binding precedent on this.
Thanks. Yes, agreed, a refund of 75% of the carrier surcharge would make the most sense. Any insight into whether it will help if I were to call?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by YULJetSet
I was recently downgraded on a long-haul Club World award ticket (to WTP). I was quickly refunded 75% of the avios points, but none of the taxes. Similar experiences? I filled out a customer service form online, but still waiting a response after 3 weeks. Should I call?
Just curious if i) others were also downgraded ii) if you were offereded any alternatives at check-in iii) if the crew were aware and/or made any special effort during the flight?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: BA, IB, DC, Amex PP, Motel 6, Waffle House, Cracker Barrel
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
I'm sure that when I've redeemed a Lloyds Avios upgrade voucher they've taken WTP avios but I've heard them say ' i have to calculate the upgraded taxes and surcharges' ?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dambus

Just curious if i) others were also downgraded ii) if you were offereded any alternatives at check-in iii) if the crew were aware and/or made any special effort during the flight?
(ii) At check in, I was offer no alternatives. After I complained in the lounge, I was offered CW with an overnight connection, which I declined as I would miss work. I was also allowed to use the Concorde lounge instead, (iii) On board, no distinction made, even though my boarding pass continues to say CW, despite the seat in WTP.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Update. Still no refund despite 2 calls in to refund services, after an email from customer relations on Dec 6th stating that she had "escalated" my refund request. 4 days ago, I was promised the 75% surcharges refund by phone with refund services - not received. Today, called back. Said they would provide me with a 75% refund as "a courtesy". I replied that this was their obligation and not a "courtesy". The agent (likely an overseas call centre), had never heard of the EU compensation guidelines. She allowed me to email her the link (https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Res...re-downgraded/). I'll let you know how this all turns out. Very disappointing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.