Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HFP article on potential for industrial action coming up!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HFP article on potential for industrial action coming up!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
The most interesting number is the turn out percentage. After years of seeing public transport on strike with the justification that the majority voted to strike when only 20% turned out it is actually good to see the level of support
Cap'n Benj and flygirl68 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:58 am

The latest round of ballot results is being discussed on HfP and there is speculation that any industrial action would be timed to hit Easter holidays and May bank holidays. For those that are more familiar with the processes involved, do you think this is likely?

Also, what would BA be obliged to do for those pax who have flights cancelled as a result of any industrial action? Re-route with another carrier? Move to alternative flight / date?

Thanks
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by grantsteve
The latest round of ballot results is being discussed on HfP and there is speculation that any industrial action would be timed to hit Easter holidays and May bank holidays. For those that are more familiar with the processes involved, do you think this is likely?

Also, what would BA be obliged to do for those pax who have flights cancelled as a result of any industrial action? Re-route with another carrier? Move to alternative flight / date?

Thanks
Im interested in the answer to this too as i have a trip booked that gets me back to london on the 2nd May bank holiday.

Also, i havent read the whole thread but what is the view about EU compensation for this. i mean, I wont be so mad if i can get compensated for the trip.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It takes at 5 weeks to run a ballot before action can be take

1. The union must give the employer 7 days notice it intends to ballot

2. 14 days for the actual voting process it can be 7 but given that pilots aren’t always at home 14 would apply.

3. If the vote is Yes and it meets the turnout threshold 14 days notice of actual action needs to be given. Though if the employer agrees that can be cut to 7 days

So with a few weeks for negotiations to occur before BALPA does anything else (it will want to show it is attempting good faith negotiations) it’s going to be a couple of months before anything happens.
MiraculousM, cauchy and grantsteve like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Im interested in the answer to this too as i have a trip booked that gets me back to london on the 2nd May bank holiday.

Also, i havent read the whole thread but what is the view about EU compensation for this. i mean, I wont be so mad if i can get compensated for the trip.
Speaking selfishly I have rare paid for Club World flights from LGW to MCO at beginning of May.

What would happen if flights were affected by strike action?

Does it make any difference if affected flights are paid for with money miles or money?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
It takes at 5 weeks to run a ballot before action can be take

1. The union must give the employer 7 days notice it intends to ballot

2. 14 days for the actual voting process it can be 7 but given that pilots aren’t always at home 14 would apply.

3. If the vote is Yes and it meets the turnout threshold 14 days notice of actual action needs to be given. Though if the employer agrees that can be cut to 7 days

So with a few weeks for negotiations to occur before BALPA does anything else (it will want to show it is attempting good faith negotiations) it’s going to be a couple of months before anything happens.
To clarify, this current ballot (posted upthread) is not Steps 1 and 2, but is a more 'informal' ballot? If so then we are safe for Easter and most likely for the May bank holidays as well (given 5 weeks balloting/pre-striking activities with a few more beforehand for negotiations and posturing).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes correct.

The results yesterday were a vote on having a further vote if negotiations don’t work out.

Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I have heard stories in the past, probably apocryphal of course :-), of people booking fully flexible long haul BA tickets for potential strike dates and then retro claiming the Avios and tier points for their trip.

The truly devious can apparently do it in the 30 minutes or so between the union announcing the dates and ba.com being blocked out ......
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
I got stuck in Innsbruck on one of the last strikes and BA wouldn’t pay any compensation since I had to stay extra days due them not flying on a daily basis. I got a few days in a beautiful country and spent more time with friends.

Anyway - this not looking good for our 241 avios trip in May coupled with potential HIAL strike at INV... We fly out on a Sunday so fingers crossed this is the least likely day for strike action....

Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Last booked return leg 4 May, next is outbound 26 Jun. Could slip between the goalposts, but if they screw our week in UVF I shall be extremely annoyed!

We lost a day in Jamaica a coupleof years ago, but at least then the EC compensation just covered our fiscal losses.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
There is a huge asymmetry between the power of a multi billion € corporate and a cc earning a few thousand hence the need for unions.

That said I hope the unions will be sensible and keep half an eye on the long term health of the company.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Is it true that the 5% pay cut that BA pilots voluntarily took post 9/11 was never given back to them despite the swing back to massive profits?
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Is it true that the 5% pay cut that BA pilots voluntarily took post 9/11 was never given back to them despite the swing back to massive profits?
It is.

Or any of the productivity gains (2 days less leave, more monthly work etc) that more than doubled that windfall to BA.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

BA and AC may have an issue ahead as reported in the media re Pilots Pay as BALPA is considering a potential ballot for industrial action.

I can't find a thread re this but mods feel free to move.

Pilots' union writes to British Airways CEO warning that it may ballot flight crews for strike action in dispute over pay
  • Balpa has rejected two separate pay deals made by British Airways to its pilots
  • It claims the deals are less than inflation and that it amounts to a pay cut
  • Union has written to BA's CEO to warn him a ballot on a strike could be imminent
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...ke-action.html

Last edited by PETER01; Apr 12, 2019 at 6:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.