Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HFP article on potential for industrial action coming up!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HFP article on potential for industrial action coming up!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Takiteasy

I have seen the numbers and still think of so many are unhappy with BA, they should just resign.
Something tells me you’ve not had too many employers. It isn’t quite so simple as just finding something something new, even at the lower end of the employment scale and this is an arguement spouted by economists and people too comfortable in their jobs.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

I have seen the numbers and still think of so many are unhappy with BA, they should just resign.
Well don't complain if that does happen and BA has to cancel flights because it hasn't enough pilots or cabin crew to operate them.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:34 pm

If they all did as you suggest BA would have enough pilots to fly just two short haul aircraft.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:35 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold

I'm not sure BA would be able to deal with replacing 99% of its pilots quite as easily as you think it will.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Well don't complain if that does happen and BA has to cancel flights because it hasn't enough pilots or cabin crew to operate them.
I won’t complain, will just file EC261 compo requests (operational cancellations are not Extraordinary Circumstances, strikes seem to be)
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
they'll just cancel them more than 14 days out!
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Obruni Boy
Balpa result from Twitter
Wow. That's rather overwhelming.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: Meh

I won’t complain, will just file EC261 compo requests (operational cancellations are not Extraordinary Circumstances, strikes seem to be)
not sure if you are simply looking for bites , but I would rather get to where I need to be on time, and also I would empathise with the people who are striking given the stress and pressure this would cause. It is not as simple as walking away as you suggest. In fact such a view, with all due respect, is infantile.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
they'll just cancel them more than 14 days out!
Then it’s fair game.

I have walked out of jobs when I didn’t think the pay was fair. There is no downside for an employee to agree to a ballot, even if they think the pay is fair, so why would they answer any differently to the questions that were asked? If there were a downside, I bet the outcome would be different.

Maybe am old school, but I also think real men and women talk with their feet (just like customer do) rather than through a negotiator.

If a sufficient number of employees resign, there will be soon enough a pay shift at BA.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:54 pm

I am glad to see this joined up approach, as Mixed Fleet are ridiculously underpaid. BA was able to circumvent through wet leasing (and they never should have been allowed to do so with QR aircraft/crews).
Hope this will force IAG into action to start paying these crews fairly. It's ridiculous to expect crews on poverty wages to provide excellent service. They deserve more respect.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.

probably not. In their recent blurb Ryanair claims a recent European court ruling claims it’s not applicable for strikes, and that court ruling has more force than any CAA pontificating on this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:29 pm
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold

Then it’s fair game.

I have walked out of jobs when I didn’t think the pay was fair. There is no downside for an employee to agree to a ballot, even if they think the pay is fair, so why would they answer any differently to the questions that were asked? If there were a downside, I bet the outcome would be different.

Maybe am old school, but I also think real men and women talk with their feet (just like customer do) rather than through a negotiator.

If a sufficient number of employees resign, there will be soon enough a pay shift at BA.
This is an opening salvo in a negotiating process and there's no downside on either side actually at this stage. BA can open with a deliberately lowball opening offer, and the unions can use the threat of strikes to declare a statement of intent to BA. The reality is that eventually both sides will meet somewhere in the middle. Downsides are very much there later on the process - BA can no doubt withstand strikes but will lose money and reputation in the process, and for striking members they do not bring their normal wages in for as long as they strike.

It doesn't really help to apply an individual experience here - walking away now from a solid union position is the cutting off your nose to spite your face option.
stevie and MarkFlies like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
I really do not understand this whole "vote with your feet" strategy some posters are putting forward to cabin crew. Please explain it to me? Did you know that only 24% of UK citizens can afford to save (ONS, 2016) and of those that do; the average savings were just shy of £1600? What happens when they leave and the £1300 rent payment is due next month?

Where can the cabin crew go? There is not an airline down the road employing cabin crew for 2x the price. The fact is; the people who do a fabulous job with BA do not have the transferable skills to be an accountant tomorrow, or, fly the plane next month to SCL and earn the big bucks. What they have is excellent customer service; a willingness to fly at short notice and please customers. Few jobs recruit right now and offer a (unfortunately relatively high) similar pay for those skills.

I fully support staff holding their employers to account for fair pay.

And oh; the "they're only doing it because IAG are in the black" line does not cut it... if IAG were in the red I'd bet my (comparatively small as well) salary on BA creating a new line of CC with even lower pay, fewer benefits and disastrously inadequacies.

I truly hope a solution is found for the staff at BA.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I am mindful that just ten years ago staff accepted pay cuts when BA faced financial collapse, so they deserve a share of the benefits during good times

https://www.theguardian.com/business...rways-pay-cuts

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 11, 2019 at 3:55 pm Reason: Add link to 2009 press article
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Thank you Prospero, the only employees receiving any real benefits from theses savings and company profits are our senior managers and directors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.