Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

HFP article on potential for industrial action coming up!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HFP article on potential for industrial action coming up!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
If your colleagues are unhappy why don’t they vote with their feet rather than inconveniencing (or threatening to) their customers?
Because it is not always as easy or as simple as that.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC
At a wild guess it's something to do with this...

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/b...pay-deal-17155

Unions representing British Airways staff are balloting members on the airline’s new pay deal – and could advocate industrial action if it is rejected by workers.

Unite, the GMB and pilots’ union Balpa have issued a joint pay claim to the airline on behalf of all BA employees, including pilots, cabin grew, engineers, terminal workers, office staff and managers.

Union officials say BA’s one-year inflationary pay rise fails to amount to a real-time increase in wages. BA says its offer is fair, reasonable and in line with other companies.

Members will be balloted on the offer, with all three unions recommending staff turn it down. A no vote is expected to lead to a ballot on strike action in the spring.

The issue came to a head on Thursday (February 28) when BA owner IAG announced a 9.5% increase in underlying profits to €3.23 billion (Ł2.77 billion).

In a joint statement, the unions said BA’s 10-year transformation from a loss-making airline to a “profit-making powerhouse” was “due in large measure to the outstanding contribution of BA employees”.

“Despite difficult changes, pay cuts and sacrifices made in the aftermath of the global financial crisis, including the voluntary closure of their final salary pension scheme, BA staff made these exceptional results possible,” said the unions.

“Cabin crew, pilots, engineers, terminal workers, office staff and managers are the backbone of BA’s powerful premium brand. In the bad times, they have given. Now times are good, that loyalty needs to be repaid. A woefully inadequate pay offer is simply an insult to that sacrifice.

“BA must end its austerity approach to pay negotiations, re-connect with its employees and deliver a pay deal that properly reflects its record-breaking profits.”

Around 25,000 BA employees are unionised. The unions are seeking an improved three-year deal with enhanced profit-sharing and the re-introduction of an employee share ownership scheme.

“The negotiations are now at a critical stage, if an industrial dispute is to be avoided,” the unions added.

According to The Sun, BA says its offer would amount to a minimum pay increase of Ł500.

A spokesperson told the paper its pay proposals was fair, reasonable and reflected typical pay awards at other UK other companies.

“We continue open discussions with our trade unions,” they added.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oh, dear, the usual “The Company is making profits, I must have a pay rise with a slice of that.”

When will people understand that the two aspects are NOT irrevocably interlinked? How do they think BA will pay for all the new aircraft on order?
Clareym66 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Am I missing something?

You click bait us into opening your thread to then withhold the core context of the thread?
tigertanaka and SaraJH like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
If your colleagues are unhappy why don’t they vote with their feet rather than inconveniencing (or threatening to) their customers?
if they have voted for a strike, then voting with their feet exactly what they are doing, and wholly within their rights too. Or are you suggesting that we should go back to the Victorian age of industry and ban the right to strike?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, dear, the usual “The Company is making profits, I must have a pay rise with a slice of that.”

When will people understand that the two aspects are NOT irrevocably interlinked? How do they think BA will pay for all the new aircraft on order?
Or pay immoral bonuses to their directors!
dddc, flygirl68, Stez and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you see the results you will realise the number that are unhappy.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG

Those same staff took a lot of pain when BA was haemorrhaging cash post gfc. Personally I regard it as wholly reasonable to expect some recognition on the upside. If any of these groups go on strike, it will make life a right pain for me. However, I fully support and defend their right to do so.
dddc, flygirl68, Stez and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Can I help you

Or pay immoral bonuses to their directors!
I assume that is, to some extent, performance related.
Would you advocate the same process for Pilots, CC, Ground Staff and Engineers?

But, of course, percentages do tend to benefit the better paid. I’m about to get an extra Ł4/week on my Pension.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absolutely, MF crew are already on performance pay and I see no reason why we all shouldn’t be but let’s make the bonus offered fair and while they are at it allow us purchase shares with our bonuses.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

don't airlines use that argument all the (less prosperous) time though?

“The situation our company is facing is very difficult at the moment so we’ll need you to accept some sacrifices we would not have wanted to ask of you”

BA certainly has, as have many of their competitors.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, well, what will be will be. I’ve spent most of my quite long life being bu§§ered about by strikers one way or another, so I shall just keep calm and carry on.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:59 pm

Balpa result from Twitter
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
so with BALPA there will be another ballot of members before any possible industrial action takes place
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by Can I help you

When you see the results you will realise the number that are unhappy.
I have seen the numbers and still think of so many are unhappy with BA, they should just resign.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.