Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Holiday booking- pilots strike = problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: CAMRA GGL (Gold Card Holder/Lifetime membership)

Have a BA Holiday booking which was supposed to be as follows:

Flight T5 - MAD BA0456
Flight MAD - ALC IB8392 (today)

hotel in Benidorm 3 nights

then flights back similar story via MAD (on Monday).

So all was going well , arrived at T5 about 0440. Went to business class check in (silver and flying bizzo all the way). Closed. At 0450 nobody turned up so a guy invited the queue which we were at the front of, to use First wing check in.

usually with thses bookings we get both boarding cards. She said she cant do it but doesnt know why, but CAN check the luggage through to alicante. She said to goto the IB desks in E zone at the airport to ask IB staff to get the boarding card.

The IB lady couldnt do it eithr (who btw was a BA lady with a different badge)- and said dont worry do it in MAD.

Our flight was delayed, very delayed. Firstly due to luggage issues that had to end up going into hold.

then after pushing back a cabin crew was too ill to fly, so had to return to gate and get the spare to change over.

then fog at Madrid. Landed about 1120 T4S. No chance of making IB 8392 1150 T4....anyway doesnt matter cos its cancelled as are all air nostrum flights this morning due to PILOTS STRIKE as we since found out!! This is why they couldnt print the boarding pass at LHR....

how on earth did they not know this in London???? Even if we knew yesterday we could have changed to the direct flight from LGW or even another airline....

Anyway in MAD they have re booked us on IB8396... at 2230!!!!

our transfer from ALC to hotel in Beni is no good they have closed down by then so have booked a private transfer at €64 ... Q is can I claim this back?

they have provided us with meal vouchers.... I called the BA Hol helpline who were sympathetic but knew nothing about the flight cancellation or pilot strike. But said cos transfer is seperate they may not pay it back

also can we claim EU 261???

also... were just having a well deserved pint at the airport now but about to head into MADRID to kill some time...

can anyone reccomend any area we can go to by a) direct metro. B) enough to do to kill a few hours. And C) get a nice few beers (thinking microbrewary or something)

THANKS ( very stressful day but you have to laugh at these things I guess �� )

ps sorry for bad grammer /typos due to using iphone

Last edited by hungry; Nov 30, 2018 at 6:35 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

THANKS ( very stressful day but you have to laugh at these things I guess �� )
Sorry to hear of your delays etc hungry, you have my sympathies there. I can't advise re Madrid etc where to go and I'm not sure due to an illness and strike you'd be entitled to EU 261 and personally, I'd try and put that to the very back of my mind just now.

The circumstances are now well beyond your control and you seem to be taking it well and pragmatically (^) so try for it NOT to let it spoil YOUR holiday, at least you'll get there tonight albeit late and do enjoy those beers!!!!!!!!!! ^
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Did you not call the BA Holidays 24 Hour Helpline to see what they can do? I’ve had them pay for transfers when having had changes to flights arriving very late though to their credit Holiday Taxis refunded my pre paid transfer too.

edit oops see you called them , surprised thst they weren’t more he,Paul. I’d have said trip was in vain, can I return to a London and have refund or transfer to another weekend.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:17 am
Original Poster

They have given us a voucher for dinner so when we head back to the airport we will use it for dinner then head to the new lounge for a few before flight to Alicante.

This is the voucher. Does anyone know where its valid and any recommendations on the best place to use it?

Thanks

Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: BA GGL; Lifetime Gold
I’m going to stick my neck out and suggest it may be McDonalds!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Surely that voucher can’t be what it looks
like 🤦🏼
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:35 am

To be fair McDonalds in MAD is a bit different to the UK... hopefully the lounge will be semi decent
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:41 am
Original Poster

I did ask about the macdonalds thing she said thats just the area , and you can use it in a selection of restauraunts.

if its macdonalds im gonna give up !!
krispy84 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
I was waiting for the usual warning that you should obscure the barcode in the picture in case someone else uses your voucher entitlement, but then again....
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fruitcage
I was waiting for the usual warning that you should obscure the barcode in the picture in case someone else uses your voucher entitlement, but then again....
Yes we opted for dinner in the eating place, I think it was called. it was dreadful !

in lounge now. Still another 3 hours till arriving at ALC, and prob 3 hrs 45- 4 hrs till we get to our hotel.

Assuming arrival hitel about 0030, having left our west London home by minicab at 0415, thats about 21 hours door to door... could have almost got to the other side or the world in that time !
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Make the most of Sat and Sun and then sort it out when you’re back. Hope you get some sun 🌞🌞
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

News just in:

Literally, want to cry ! Couldnt believe my eyes when I saw this but the lounge agent confirmed its true.

Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by hungry

News just in:

Literally, want to cry ! Couldnt believe my eyes when I saw this but the lounge agent confirmed its true.

Ouch.. can’t you callBA Holidays and ask for a MAD hotel and fly tomorrow. See if you can resurrect your original transfer and enjoy the last couple of days, ?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Ouch.. can’t you callBA Holidays and ask for a MAD hotel and fly tomorrow. See if you can resurrect your original transfer and enjoy the last couple of days, ?
yes tried he was really sympathetic but said cos were rebooked have to stick with it. I asked him if he can just get us home... but no can do at least till tomorrow.

He did however refund the first nights hotel fee, which is something at least. Again cant fault this guy or the one from earlier, they r 100% spot on.

at least were in the lounge drinking wine and gin... but at 2300 they close apparently!!! Will they really just kick us out do you think ??
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

The more I think about it, the more I simply can not believe the airline let us leave London knowing we would just be stranded in Madrid for hours on end. They MUST have known the pilots were on strike in spain this morning! Its really poor..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.