Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick Q on LGW, Christmas Eve, early!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Quick Q on LGW, Christmas Eve, early!

Arriving LGW on 24 Dec from l/h @ 0615, departing s/h @ 0735.

Any ideas on how busy Border etc. likely to be? Bags checked through, but any chance of a quick ciggie airside? Or will it be heaving?
HIDDY and 20Rothmans like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
No idea about Xmas Eve but was there at 8.30 on Tuesday morning and was through from gate to car park in about 10 min with no queues at the automated gates.
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
With xmas eve falling on a Monday this year, the xmas rush will probably be spread over the preceeding Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Id be expecting Friday to be peak.
T8191 and makin'miles like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I'd imagine it would be very busy Uncle T as everyone is trying to get home for Christmas Eve. The nicotine chewing gum would be OK until you get to Jersey landside just a few hours later (?) but I do understand the 'need'!! I do!!!

Certainly used to take the craving away for me and I wouldn't risk it but if you get a good tail wind and arrive 30 minutes/45/60 minutes earlier then see what it's like on the day.
T8191 and tynmar like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks, folks. All a bit of an unknown ... I shall validate on the day.

But with a 1h20m connection, I suspect we'll just press on!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I give the opportunity for a fag a miss when on short connections for a couple of reasons. I'm usually too tired to bother and the wife wouldn't let me anyway.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Uncle T just so you are aware the only place to get out for a smoke ( and get back in!) is out on the ramp ( where the taxis are or down where the coaches are) as the doors going to the undercroft are now access locked both ends of the terminal
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
Its not long enough unless as already said you get a huge tailwind. The fresh air of Jersey awaits! ^
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Uncle T just so you are aware the only place to get out for a smoke ( and get back in!) is out on the ramp ( where the taxis are or down where the coaches are) as the doors going to the undercroft are now access locked both ends of the terminal
We're well familiar with the territory, but thanks anyway! ^

Photo attached for those who are unfamiliar!! Many smokers use the well-signed "No smoking" area.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
I kinda presumed you would be tbh but just to be safe wanted to mention it as the doors only had access locks added fairly recently. I've added "bring your bloody airside pass woman!" to Mrs Clams packing list as it's quite a trek compared to just popping downstairs.

Your picture and my own thoughts everytime I do end up there remind me of this ( Link to the IT Crowd skit on 'oppressive russian smoking policy')

I also dislike having to mix with some of the great unwashed( see also: Those who arrived the night before and have gotten so pished you already know they will be denied boarding and just hope they're not on your flight) to be found there especially at the more extreme hours lol. 2nd secret then is that if you walk to the far right ( without crossing the road) where the valet parking drop off/ pick up point is there is a 2nd area that's not signposted until you reach it that staff will tend to use but anyone can. Much less crowded and stinky than the main area you pictured.

Whilst no use to us BA regulars the new LGW South lounge ( forget off the top of my head whose gonna own/ run it) will have an external area where you will be allowed to smoke. Even more infuriating is that it's that massive outside area on top of the terminal building to the side of the IDL that you can see out the windows of the GC lounge if you go to the far end.
T8191 and 20Rothmans like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Nice tip ... will test, assuming it’s not raining!
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Nice tip ... will test, assuming it’s not raining!

Then prepare to rejoice my friend......

.....unlike the main smoking area it also has a roof( well canopy if we're being pedantic) over it!

Im next flying 9th Dec although that's with EZY from the North as BA dont fly to KEF from there but if that's before you next pass through i'll take a wonder out there, take a snap for you and PM it to you or post it here for general ref'
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Then prepare to rejoice my friend......

.....unlike the main smoking area it also has a roof( well canopy if we're being pedantic) over it!

Im next flying 9th Dec although that's with EZY from the North as BA dont fly to KEF from there but if that's before you next pass through i'll take a wonder out there, take a snap for you and PM it to you or post it here for general ref'
Likely to feature in my CPT TR post-Christmas, and also in the Smoking Forum!!

Transiting LGW 8 Dec, JER-LGW-CPT
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:35 pm

Oh for goodness sake a day apart travel wise( although diff terminals and airlines this time)! But hey my dream of meeting up with you in the lounge one of these days is getting nearer hahaha.
T8191 and KeaneJohn like this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I've always found Christmas Eve to be very very quiet, I think most people travel in the preceding days.
T8191 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.