Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick Q on LGW, Christmas Eve, early!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: AA : BA
Originally Posted by Sealink
I've always found Christmas Eve to be very very quiet, I think most people travel in the preceding days.
Can't speak for LGW, but LHR T5 has always been deserted for me. Apart from one year (2010 I think) when there was a bit of snow and no flights went out for several days and it was a complete zoo.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by T8191
We're well familiar with the territory, but thanks anyway! ^

Photo attached for those who are unfamiliar!! Many smokers use the well-signed "No smoking" area.
went through LGW this morning - no doubt T8191 will be relieved to know that the “No smoking” signs are no longer there.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Physci

went through LGW this morning - no doubt T8191 will be relieved to know that the “No smoking” signs are no longer there.
Whaaaat? Gatwick has given up trying to control the deadly fumes out there, in the open air? IME nobody ever policed it anyway, although I always walked through that area saying “No Smoking” very audibly!!

I look forward with interest to next Saturday, if we have time for a quick one after Arriving and Starting All Over Again!!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Originally Posted by T8191
Arriving LGW on 24 Dec from l/h @ 0615, departing s/h @ 0735.

Any ideas on how busy Border etc. likely to be? Bags checked through, but any chance of a quick ciggie airside? Or will it be heaving?
Silly thought @T8191 but would you have time to get down to the smoking area near the A23 bus stop and back airside?

From international arrivals, immediate left, down the lift and across the perimeter road, I don't think it's a staff only smoking area...

My record of getting from that bus stop to GC lounge stands at 12 minutes.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Uncle T just so you are aware the only place to get out for a smoke ( and get back in!) is out on the ramp ( where the taxis are or down where the coaches are) as the doors going to the undercroft are now access locked both ends of the terminal
Are you referring to the stairway beyond the toilets adjacent to zone A (BA check in) ? A last fag out by Concorde House before heading back upstairs and through security used to be my thing.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Dec 3, 2018 at 12:29 pm
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA, VS,
Originally Posted by TWCLAM
Uncle T just so you are aware the only place to get out for a smoke ( and get back in!) is out on the ramp ( where the taxis are or down where the coaches are) as the doors going to the undercroft are now access locked both ends of the terminal
sorry but this is not quite accurate.

You are not able to walk through the tunnel under the south terminal but can access the smoking areas at each end. The first is outside concord house so just take the life down to level zero from zone A come out into the tunnel turn right and right again at the metal stairs. The second is outside ashdown house, take the lift just after the exit from international arrivals down to level zero, go outside and turn left, the smoking area is on the opposite side of the road.

Neither of these areas need a staff pass to acces but are well used by staff

Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oh, too complicated! We’ll join the herd across the roadway!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.