Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR - Hell

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

LHR - Hell

I must confess, it's been a while and I decided to ignore all the warnings. It can't be that bad!
Well, I was wrong. It's not "that bad", it's worse. Heathrow is by far the worst airport in the world.
Last week I had a connection T3->T5 and back (Virgin->BA). I though I had plenty of time - 2 hours.
What I witnessed is simply a shame to any "civilized" country.
Outside of unusual BA delays (unusual - who am I kidding), a broken bridge (20 minutes waiting for the stairs
to show up) etc, it is an absolute complete mess. Unsupervised crowd of lost lunatics waiting for the transfer bus
without any sense or direction. Not a single employee around to help. With my flight already boarding
I simply walked around the line (looking like at least a 2 hour wait) and nobody said anything. When I was waiting
for the bus downstairs I told a single employee there my flight is already boarding and she let me go around again,
knowing probably everybody else was in the same situation. They don't care there is that many people
transferring, who needs more buses! A ride from hell, with traffic at 6AM, trucks and some weird VIP cars must
use the same roads. Arriving and seeing a workable "fast track" security line I though I made it,
but of course they found something in my bag and a SINGLE lazy angry security woman
did everything she could to delay me. A demonstration of laziness and angriness - 20 extra minutes.
Exactly the same story on my way back.
I honestly don't know how you guys do it. I will never fly Virgin or BA ever again.
Markie likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
More about Heathrow issues and OP failing security check due to bag contents so probably not for the BA board?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Big_Foot
I will never fly Virgin or BA ever again.
Bye!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

You clearly deserve what you have LOL
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
but of course they found something in my bag
What did they find?

It's certainly the case that the T3 to T5 bus link isn't the most amazing piece of the transfer experience but usually it's tolerable enough, and takes me around 30 minutes all in. There are normally HAL staff in the bus area (both possibilities appear in your post!), but I must admit apart from one Russian lady at the T3 end they tend not to be terribly pro-active. But it's all well labelled, I'm not sure what help passengers would get there.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:05 pm

I can step off a train at Heathrow and check in my bag, pass security (I don’t and am unlikely ever to have First Wing) and be sitting with a coffee all within 10-15 mins. Or if I arrive late I know I can rush to any gate within 15 mins if I have to, assuming I pass conformance if in T5. Admittedly it helps that I tend to know where I’m going, though they try hard to make sure I do.

On arrival, I am regularly wheels-down to train/bus in 20 mins, even with bags to collect. I know of few other major airports where I can do this.

And all in an airport with plentiful reasonably decent food options (Leon, Pret) and good coffee (Nero).

Worst airport in the world? Not even close.
jfallesen, spicysoup and dajdavies like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I would agree with OP to some extend: The connection experience at LHR (especially international to international with a terminal change) is not the nicest.

The perspective of quite a few people on this board may be clouded by use of the first wing, followed by the CCR.
klmml likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I have to say I can empathise a little with the OP here. I flew into T3 on Thursday of last week and they had signs up at the new Flight Connections Centre advising of delays to the bus service. There was no explanation given and the one member of HAL staff was totally disinterested. We had probably a 15 minute wait for the bus, and then we trundled to T5. Having had to jump the queue at immigration (authorised by the BA staff there otherwise we would have missed conformance for our NCL flight, and where there were only two immigrations officers working) we then got stuck in the Slow Track security where we endured a staff rotation, and then a staff change. My suitcase came through unchallenged but my liquids bag went off for secondary screening, and ended up in 6th place behind other bags subjected to the same fate.

The single member of staff doing the secondary screening was perhaps the slowest person I have ever witnessed at T5 security to the point where I am convinced it was a deliberate attempt to frustrate or punish those passengers whose bags didn't make it through unscathed. After the staff change things were absolutely no better, to the point where I asked if it would be possible to have someone else assist with the secondary inspections otherwise we would miss our flight. I was directed to one of the managers who insinuated it was my fault that I hadn't allowed sufficient time but, once I had told him I'd actually flown into T3 from PHX and was delayed because of HAL's inability to run a regular bus service to T5, went and pulled my tray out of the queue and tested my liquids before sending me on my way!

Contrast that with the arrivals experience at LAX on Sunday where with a combination of GE (me), and APC (the missus) plus PreCheck we were back on US soil, through security, and in the Qantas lounge within 15 - 20 minutes of landing. There was an overall air of efficiency with plenty of staff (CPB, TSA and airport) making the process as smooth as it could be. There is definitely significant room for improvement at LHR.
squawk and Markie like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The T5-T3 transfer is not the best ( generally ok given the volumes) and occasionally I have had to wait 20minutes but the staff when I have been there have been trying to get more busses.

Waiting 20mins on stand to get the bridge or stairs would bother me slightly especially with a tight ish connection.

At security I do try to remove and place in a separate tray any items that could sent it to secondary ( ie charger cables, camera bag, tablet, toiletries, bag of coins)

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Bye!
With snappy comments like these, I sometimes wish it isn't the OP who'll be leaving. Someone had a bad day, and isn't going back in a rush. No need to bite the OP's head off.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:30 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
It's not "that bad", it's worse. Heathrow is by far the worst airport in the world
I take it you haven’t travelled to sub-Saharan Africa much?

Hope you feel better after your rant.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by krispy84
Or indeed Manchester
GrayBDG, MarcD, Tocsin and 23 others like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
It sounds like a bit of mare for the OP, and admittedly I very rarely transfer in LHR, and have never done T3 to T5, but no way is Heathrow the worst airport. It's improved a lot in recent years.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by cauchy
With snappy comments like these, I sometimes wish it isn't the OP who'll be leaving. Someone had a bad day, and isn't going back in a rush. No need to bite the OP's head off.
i do do love a good rant but if you post on the internet you’re going to get pushback.
thebigben likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84

Hope you feel better after your rant.
For a number of years I flew into Freetown and other than worrying about catching the ferry into town after dark, I never had any issues

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.