FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Moving from QFFF to BAEC (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1942882-moving-qfff-baec.html)

Dave Noble Nov 29, 2018 12:24 am

Originally Posted by dwglee (Post 30478570)

Thank you for your insights. My concern with AA is losing access to the Flagship lounges in America. Also correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t long haul redemptions from LHR to SYD are pretty hard to come
by? Unfortunately my travel is confined to peak periods due to work commitments. Cheers.

Since you have lifetime gold status, you can get into the lounge by showing the QF membership card for domestic travel

They need some searching, but had lots of success with QR and MH in getting awards with some flexibility - useful if you want a holiday back to Oz

The redemption rates are so much better on AA that I would seriously look at the travel profile and see if you come out ahead - if at a travel level that can get lifetime gold status in QF, good chance of decent earnings on AA

Prospero Nov 29, 2018 12:32 am

Another thing to consider is your day to day mileage earning potential. London is almost entirely a cash free city and equipped with the right credit card you can earn miles/Avios by breathing.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 30478619)
The redemption rates are so much better on AA that I would seriously look at the travel profile and see if you come out ahead - if at a travel level that can get lifetime gold status in QF, good chance of decent earnings on AA

Theoretically less expensive but with AA cutting its business class capacity and with its judicious application of dynamic pricing, these theoretical advantage fizzle out in practice. How much does an AAdvantage redemption cost now for intra European flights?

Besides, with no affiliate credit card in the UK market, AA is a weak programme here.

Dave Noble Nov 29, 2018 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Prospero (Post 30478627)

Theoretically less expensive but with AA cutting its business class capacity and with its judicious application of dynamic pricing, these theoretical advantage fizzle out in practice. How much does an AAdvantage redemption cost now for intra European flights?

for flights to places like Asia and Australia, AA award availability is hardly relevant - award availability is no sifferent on OW airlines than for BA

intra EU flights are not so cheap, but for travel back to Australia, BA rates completely suck compare to AA

Credit card earning may not be that important unless he can get credit cards as a new resident to UK

Prospero Nov 29, 2018 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 30478685)
for flights to places like Asia and Australia, AA award availability is hardly relevant - award availability is no sifferent on OW airlines than for BA

Sure, it’s good to know about this but these appear to be tertiary requirements for the OP

corporate-wage-slave Nov 29, 2018 1:45 am

Originally Posted by dwglee (Post 30478570)
Thank you for your insights. My concern with AA is losing access to the Flagship lounges in America. Also correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t long haul redemptions from LHR to SYD are pretty hard to come
by? Unfortunately my travel is confined to peak periods due to work commitments. Cheers.

Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum dwglee, it's good to see you here, and I hope we will see more of you.

As with all these sorts of questions (and there are a number of thread on this in the oneworld forum) a lot hinges on what benefits you are seeking. If it is lounge benefits in the USA then BA and other airlines are worth consideration, indeed many USA residents have BA cards for that reason. However AA Clubs - not Flagships - do have various paid for entrance options. For getting trips back home then follow this forum to learn all the tips you need to do this, however on every flight to SYD on BA metal there are always at least 6 redemption seats made available, 4 in WT, 2 in CW.

The one benefit that may have been overlooked is that if you only have a few years with us in the UK then you perhaps will want to grasp the opportunity of visiting the vast array of European cities within 90 minutes of London. And BA's Reward Flight Saver deals with Avios are among the highlights of the programme. Just keep good records just in case you have to fill in an Indefinite Leave to Remain form in a few years time!

Dave Noble Nov 29, 2018 5:12 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30478766)
. If it is lounge benefits in the USA then BA and other airlines are worth consideration, indeed many USA residents have BA cards for that reason.

The OP has LT Gold (Sapphire) status with Qantas , so no issue with lounge access

jerub Nov 29, 2018 7:04 am

Something that's good to know: I found that Avios flight bookings within Australia on Qantas had great availability and the same low fees we have for shorthaul in Europe.

This let me bounce between MEL/SYD/BNE on my last trip back without any hassles using my BA FF points.

dwglee Nov 29, 2018 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 30478685)

intra EU flights are not so cheap, but for travel back to Australia, BA rates completely suck compare to AA

Credit card earning may not be that important unless he can get credit cards as a new resident to UK

Sorry I should have mentioned but I’ve been fortunate to get an HSBC World Elite MC and Amex Preferred Gold in the UK.

dwglee Nov 29, 2018 10:45 am

Originally Posted by sxc (Post 30478577)
Given you are already Qantas Gold (Sapphire), I'm not sure if there's much point to change over to BA. Have you calculated whether on your expected travel you will be able to maintain QF Platinum? And is status more important, or redemption?

Hi sxc, sorry I must have missed your post. I should be able to maintain QF Platinum but would crediting the SC/TP to BA mean I get BA Gold easier than QF platinum?

Status is probably slightly more important for access to the First Class lounges. I only rarely fly first class (all my travel is self-funded). Cheers.

Tafflyer Nov 29, 2018 11:27 am

You also mentioned travel partially in Y. This could potentially credit at higher rates to AA rather than BA. Travel in J credits higher to BA. This combined with much better redemption rates and lower fees on AA.

If redeeming from Europe to Australia on BA you will be charged per sector and also at higher amounts if more than a single partner airline is used. With AA it‘s quite possible to fly LHR-NRT-SYD on JAL or BA and connect on to JAL or QF for the same 87,500 mile redemption.

LTN Phobia Nov 29, 2018 11:47 am

Originally Posted by dwglee (Post 30480122)
[left]
I should be able to maintain QF Platinum but would crediting the SC/TP to BA mean I get BA Gold easier than QF platinum?

It really depends on your precise flying pattern, but bear in mind you can renew QF Platinum with 1,200 SC, and QF somewhat frequently run double SC promo etc., whereas qualifying/maintaining BA Gold requires, 1,500 TP. If you are 'only just' qualifying for QF Platinum, you might fall short of obtaining 1,500 TP with BA, particularly if you tend to fly on lower fare economy class, as some fare buckets only earn 5 TP with BA.

On many routes SC/TP may be the same for the same fare class but there are some differences (e.g. aforementioned 15/60 SC routes, MEL-BNE for instance comes to mind) but there are some major differences, e.g. you earn at least 10 SC for QF E class with QFFF but it earns no Avios or TP with BA.

warreng Nov 29, 2018 4:54 pm

I'm in a similar boat these days, I only do about 1/3 of my flying on QF but have decided to maintain my FF membership for a couple of reasons that might be of interest to you:

1. Qantas rewards flights aren't a great use of Qantas points but the long haul classic upgrade rates are pretty reasonable. For example, to upgrade from flexible economy to business on the SYD > DFW route costs 55000 points. If you fly into/out of Australia a couple of times a year on your own dime it's a good way to get premium fares at economy prices. Although upgrades aren't guaranteed I've never been denied a points upgrade as a platinum FF.

2. 1200 status credits is easy to maintain if you do any amount of long haul flying in business and 4 QF sectors can be covered by 1 return trip home from London per year (either via Perth or Singapore).

3. The Qantas Q tags look cooler than the BA Gold cards.

4. BA now sponsors English rugby whereas Qantas sponsors the Wallabies. I rest my case.

dwglee Dec 1, 2018 12:16 am

Originally Posted by warreng (Post 30481527)
I'm in a similar boat these days, I only do about 1/3 of my flying on QF but have decided to maintain my FF membership for a couple of reasons that might be of interest to you:

1. Qantas rewards flights aren't a great use of Qantas points but the long haul classic upgrade rates are pretty reasonable. For example, to upgrade from flexible economy to business on the SYD > DFW route costs 55000 points. If you fly into/out of Australia a couple of times a year on your own dime it's a good way to get premium fares at economy prices. Although upgrades aren't guaranteed I've never been denied a points upgrade as a platinum FF.

2. 1200 status credits is easy to maintain if you do any amount of long haul flying in business and 4 QF sectors can be covered by 1 return trip home from London per year (either via Perth or Singapore).

3. The Qantas Q tags look cooler than the BA Gold cards.

4. BA now sponsors English rugby whereas Qantas sponsors the Wallabies. I rest my case.

And how can anyone argue with that? Thank you!