The 12F 777-200s serving IAH for Summer 2019

Old Nov 28, 18, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Question The 12F 777-200s serving IAH for Summer 2019

So luckily for us, availability for 4 in F suddenly popped up for our departure date for summer hols next year, and a quick call to BA and circa £400 in change fees and taxes later (my Christmas present to myself), and we've swapped our outbound from J to AUS, to F to IAH. The return is still Upper Deck J on a 744, and we're very happy with that and wouldn't be swapping.

Cabin is completely empty and I wanted to select 1A/E/F/K, but didn't realise both occupants of 1A & 1K need to be Gold to select those seats, which doesn't work for us. However, it would have been the perfect option as the four seats are pretty much aligned, meaning we get the benefit of a couple of window seats plus can keep our two kids in close check. Row 2 doesn't look particularly aligned across the cabin, so I don't think this would work for us, and row 4 isn't an option as 3K/4K appear to be crew rest seats on this route.

So before we give in and select 1E/F and 2E/F, does anyone with greater knowledge of the 777-200 F cabin know a better solution for two adults and two kids (a 3yo and a 5yo) wanting to sit 'together'?

Previously all our F redemptions have been on a 744, when 5A/E/F/K worked so well, giving us window seats and all able to see each other for the duration of the flight. My little lad loved his window seat, whereas I had 5E, keeping my younger daughter in 5F entertained - and my wife had the chance for a bit of peace to relax in 5K, but able to step in quickly across the aisle if an issue!

I know it's very much a first-world problem, but a problem nonetheless ;-)

We have family going to IAH this winter and I see their flight is on the Dreamliner (!), so slightly miffed it's downgraded to a 777 for the summer timetable.
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Seating Queries: First might help you
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
It's been the case for a long time that 1 A/K have to be Golds only. (until T-72 out IF they aren't already occupied or still blocked)

Anyhow, in my humble opinion row 2 would work very well I think with the adults taking the 2 middle seats. You can then take turns at the window as required. Row 2 is better I think as it is a little further away from the galley.

As you can see from these pictures from an old trip report of mine that would allow you each to keep an eye on them and they would both have a window and with you being slightly behind then you can keep an eye on them quite easily. There is no 3K or 4K on these birds, it's an empty void. British Airways B777-200ER 12F/48J/32W/127Y Seat Map

The view from 2F looking at 2K (exact same on the other side)

More pictures here.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18088937-post57.html
Old Nov 28, 18, 9:17 am
Original Poster

That is mega useful PETER01 - thank you VERY much indeed. We'll be selecting row 2 across now, based on your tip and photos! It's more than well enough aligned for me to keep an eye on everyone! Thank you!!!

Out of interest, I presumed 3K / 4K would just be an F seat used by crew, but it seems not. What is there instead, some kind of big box housing crew bunk beds?
PETER01 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques

Row 2 will work perfectly, there is a large gap where 3K would be but not quite enough room for a seat and there is a enclosed bunk unit where 4K would be.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 18, 11:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by 747_not_777 View Post
That is mega useful PETER01 - thank you VERY much indeed. We'll be selecting row 2 across now, based on your tip and photos! It's more than well enough aligned for me to keep an eye on everyone! Thank you!!!

Out of interest, I presumed 3K / 4K would just be an F seat used by crew, but it seems not. What is there instead, some kind of big box housing crew bunk beds?

​​​​​​​I'd go for row 2 if I had that scenario and glad to have been of help. I knew those photos would one day come in handy!

There is just an empty space and as Can I help you said bunks (as per these photos and there's a few more in the link to the actual TR if that's any help too)

Old Dec 5, 18, 4:06 am
Original Poster

After all your helpful advice, seat change notification from BA this morning - and our flight to IAH next July has just become a 747! Ahhhhh, so much better!

They must have known I was flying...
Old Dec 5, 18, 4:31 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
After all your helpful advice, seat change notification from BA this morning - and our flight to IAH next July has just become a 747! Ahhhhh, so much better!

They must have known I was flying...
So it's you that is responsible for me waking up to find my 747 (and 64J/K) next summer has morphed into a 77F (and 11A/B)!

(all in jest obviously )
Old Dec 5, 18, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BertieBadger View Post
So it's you that is responsible for me waking up to find my 747 (and 64J/K) next summer has morphed into a 77F (and 11A/B)!

(all in jest obviously )
Oooooh dear. Sorry! Where were you headed then? Looks like the 744 has taken over the morning flight to IAH for the summer, but the afternoon flight remains as one of those pesky 777s. Thankfully for me, we'd planned our return from AUS, so it's hopefully now looking like a 744 there & back. In the nose outbound, upper deck home.

Have a good trip BertieBadger!
BertieBadger and shefgab like this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 10:03 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Oooooh dear. Sorry! Where were you headed then? ....Have a good trip BertieBadger!
Thanks. It's JFK in June '19. I was somewhat surprised tbh as a quick trawl over a few recent months shows the usual expected mix of 747s and 777s but almost always the 14F variants. I've checked ExpertFlyer and it's definitely the 12F variant that has been swapped in.

Tbh, I accepted it as an occupational hazard on that route so far out, so I'll be magnanimous and simply be glad you've got your "Queen of the skies" back

(And I've got my EF alert set up in case they swap it back, or to one of the other variants)
747_not_777 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 18, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
After having my end of March 2019 morning LHR to IAH 787 changed to 12F 777 Iíve looked and Iím not going to benefit from this change to 747 on the return

Reward booking in CW. Deciding whether to change to the 4pm from the 8pm return flight to finally get a chance to sit on the upper deck. Knowing my luck with this booking thereíll be another aircraft change if I do that.
Old Dec 5, 18, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geordiejetsetter View Post
After having my end of March 2019 morning LHR to IAH 787 changed to 12F 777 Iíve looked and Iím not going to benefit from this change to 747 on the return
That is a shame! I'd be gutted too!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: