FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   OW new member?? Royal Air Maroc? TP Runs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1942791-ow-new-member-royal-air-maroc-tp-runs.html)

Ticket_Master Nov 28, 2018 2:46 am

OW new member?? Royal Air Maroc? TP Runs

Rumour is Royal Air Maroc may join Oneworld, while I'm not going to speculate on if it is or not, I have done some quick looking into what that could mean for those of us collecting TP.

Disclaimer: This is based off gc distances, and is my personal estimates of TP based off that.
Royal Air Maroc from what I can see have some 787s which they seem to be using for North American routes (and Istanbul on at least some days), 767 with angleflat business for Brazil, and most everything else is on 737.
A quick search will show you about £1700 on a good day for London NY, but the connections look pretty awful.
Also Stockholm NY for similar (and 2x140TP) - handy if you're based there, but I wouldnt go out of my way there for that price, and 5+hrs in regular seat on 737
If they are joining it would be for their African route, and this opens up more points earning possibilities - always a good thing.
I'll be watching to see who the new member is, and if its RAM I'll keep an eye out for their sales / and new ways to spend avios.

Route Miles
80 TP?
LHR-CMN 1301
MAN-CMN 1405

140 TP?
NDJ-CMN 2044
IST-CMN 2060
ARN-CMN 2156
SSG-CMN 2292
CAI-CMN 2293
DLA-CMN 2308
NSI-CMN 2384
BEY-CMN 2466
LBV-CMN 2518
BGF-CMN 2608
DME-CMN 2648
PNR-CMN 2919
JED-CMN 2954
BZV-CMN 2988
FIH-CMN 3002
LAD-CMN 3210
RUH-CMN 3296
YUL-CMN 3534
JFK-CMN 3609
NBO-CMN 3752
IAD-CMN 3830
MIA-CMN 4321
GIG-CMN 4522
GRU-CMN 4671

SKT-DK Nov 28, 2018 3:03 am

Given this is pure speculation based on rumours, there is hardly any point in having a "what if" thread like this, is there?

LupineChemist Nov 28, 2018 3:15 am

We have no idea yet. It could be EI finally joining to join the TATL JV. Just have to wait a week.

seaskybound Nov 28, 2018 3:18 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK (Post 30474998)
Given this is pure speculation based on rumours, there is hardly any point in having a "what if" thread like this, is there?

The forum should instead focus on important things such as the viscosity of the hollandaise in the CCR (the OP is classic BAFT, enjoy!)

Sam Bee Nov 28, 2018 3:44 am

Oddly just received details of a 'flash sale' on them to Miami (£470 in Y, £2,150 in J) which they are promoting. It's not as much of a detour as I thought (14h00 on way out inc. connection vs 10h00 non stop) but does go from LGW and back to LHR (for good connections).

Just thought it odd anyway, but Casablanca is probably a preferable transit airport to many US hubs.

VFRonTop Nov 28, 2018 5:08 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK (Post 30474998)

Why not? Back in 2016 BA announced that would launch a new a new Club World seat in July 2019. That particular "What if" thread is currently 48 pages. oneworld has announced a new full member joining, I would be quite interested to discuss the potential airlines and the opportunities they would bring.

SKT-DK Nov 28, 2018 5:18 am

Originally Posted by VFRonTop (Post 30475142)
Why not? Back in 2016 BA announced that would launch a new a new Club World seat in July 2019. That particular Wthat if" thread is currently 48 pages. oneworld has announced a new full member joining, I would be quite interested to discuss the potential airlines and the opportunities they would bring.

Okay, let's discuss a rumour saying Uzbekistan Airlines and Bangkok Airways are joining too - or SQ jumping ship to oneworld. Point is, this is based on rumours and the adoption process for a new member will take time - likely a year or more for integration. So what is the point of taking a guess on TP achievement levels based on pure guesswork now?

corporate-wage-slave Nov 28, 2018 5:23 am

The actual story here is that Alaska Airlines is looking at oneworld connect membership, the second tier of oneworld membership, which looks like a nearly full alliance relationship with any sponsoring airlines (and I would hazard that BA would be happy to sponsor), and a very limited set of benefits for non sponsor airlines. This story has credibility and attributed quotes to AS' management, and features on this thread (see post 22 and beyond for recent developments).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...ct-member.html

I haven't seen anything attributable for RAM, Aer Lingus or anyone else, apart from the previous and slow moving announcement for Fiji Airways.

SKT-DK Nov 28, 2018 5:25 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave (Post 30475171)
I haven't seen anything attributable for RAM, Aer Lingus or anyone else, apart from the previous and slow moving announcement for Fiji Airways.

Exactly.... :)

Akoz Nov 28, 2018 5:31 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist (Post 30475011)
We have no idea yet. It could be EI finally joining to join the TATL JV. Just have to wait a week.

Didn't CZ actually announce they are leaving SkyTeam at the end of the year? So maybe.....

SKT-DK Nov 28, 2018 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Akoz (Post 30475186)
Didn't CZ actually announce they are leaving SkyTeam at the end of the year? So maybe.....

And that transition out is announced to last for a full year, so anything into oneworld on that front is unlikely to happen anytime soon despite AA increasing their investments in CZ.

LupineChemist Nov 28, 2018 5:34 am

The actual story here is that Alaska Airlines is looking at oneworld connect membership, the second tier of oneworld membership, which looks like a nearly full alliance relationship with any sponsoring airlines (and I would hazard that BA would be happy to sponsor), and a very limited set of benefits for non sponsor airlines. This story has credibility and attributed quotes to AS' management, and features on this thread (see post 22 and beyond for recent developments).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...ct-member.html

• AT has been rumored for awhile and apparently their CEO is scheduled to be in NYC on the 5th.
  • EI is obvious as to why they'd want in.
  • IG with QR's involvement is another one that could be interesting and Central Europe is lacking since AB died.
  • CZ having just announced leaving Skyteam and immediately getting even warmer with AA is another interesting point (though who knows how CX feels about it).
  • If AA and BA sponsor AS as a connect member, that would be such an overwhelming percentage of their flyers that it would possibly make sense to just go for full membership.

Either way, I think it's interesting that I see 5 realistic options, OW could be set for a definite growth period.

YClass Nov 28, 2018 6:20 am

There is a blog quoting possibly Royal Air Maroc and an announcement early Dec. I think they have some partnership with Qatar already? Article also mentions Alaskan.

So while if this isn't announced shortly then the thread is arguably pointless, allowing someone to debate a recent rumour is surely one purpose of these forums? If you don't like the question, then don't continue reading it or responding to it (not targeted at CWS).

VFRonTop Nov 28, 2018 6:21 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK (Post 30475160)
Okay, let's discuss a rumour saying Uzbekistan Airlines and Bangkok Airways are joining too - or SQ jumping ship to oneworld. Point is, this is based on rumours and the adoption process for a new member will take time - likely a year or more for integration. So what is the point of taking a guess on TP achievement levels based on pure guesswork now?

Let's discuss the actual rumour, based on the information we have:
- There is a confirmed press conference at oneworld headquarters announcing the addition of a full member. That rules out that its Alaska joining as a connect member.
- The CEO of Royal Air Moroc has confirmed he will be in NYC at the came time as the press conference
- Royal Air Maroc already codeshare with IB and QR and already uses the avios programme
- Anecdotal but the addition of RAM would also be the first African carrier in oneworld
- Aer Lingus have previously mentioned joining but that news has cooled considerably since first announced and potentially they may also join as a connect member
- China Southern have announced their departure of Skyteam but as previously mentioned this will be a long process and if they were to join oneworld it would be a quite lead in time so potentially the press conference in week is a bit premature. If you actually have seen rumours of Uzbekistan Airlines, Bangkok Airways or Singapore joining oneworld I'd love to hear more.

The point of 'taking a guess' is because it's the educated guess of a group of passionate aviation enthusiasts on a discussion forum which is famous for that exact purpose. If you are not interested in the discussion this is entirely your prerogative.

VFRonTop Nov 28, 2018 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Ticket_Master (Post 30474974)
Rumour is Royal Air Maroc may join Oneworld, while I'm not going to speculate on if it is or not, I have done some quick looking into what that could mean for those of us collecting TP.

Disclaimer: This is based off gc distances, and is my personal estimates of TP based off that.
MIA-CMN 4321
GIG-CMN 4522
GRU-CMN 4671

Super valuable analysis here so thanks for putting it together. Due to the geography and route network of AT there are potentially some nice 140TP routes available. I'm not the biggest fan of their current fleet but they seem to be investing in their product and if they do join oneworld I think they offer some very interesting options for TP maximisation