Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OW new member?? Royal Air Maroc? TP Runs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Given this is pure speculation based on rumours, there is hardly any point in having a "what if" thread like this, is there?
Two of my favourite types of 'shut-this-thread down' entreaties on this forum are: 1) There's no point in speculating on rumours; 2) There's no point in commenting on this incident as we only have one side of the story. There are others, of course.

Without such conjecture, this forum might turn into the Mary Celeste of FT.

Anyway, my source told me it was the RAF joining oneworld (great TP-run opportunities!), once the UK leaves the European Defence Agency post-Brexit.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by rossmacd
I agree that RAM could cover a big gap in the network, but I would argue more that central Continental Europe being the biggest gap for OW presently. Currently, we only have BA, IB and AY, which no one can argue that they have conveniently located hubs (LON/MAD/HEL) for intra-EU flying. It is a true shame that AB went under, since they did offer some possibilities.

Then again, the LH group pretty much have central Continental Europe sewn up, with prices to match.
Fair point on the network, I don't think I see a likely solution to that in the present time though. IG seem to mostly be flying within Italy or long haul so wouldn't be the answer [at least at present]. There aren't really any other well placed Continental Europe options that aren't already part of ST or *A that I can think of...?

It would also seem like somewhat odd timing for IG, given Al-Baker's recent comments and the QR interest in IG - but his comments may well be hot air again. I think they'd be a more attractive proposition to an alliance a few years down the road when they are fully stocked with ex-QR Dreamliners and however many 737s they're receiving so that they are running a really extensive network both short and long haul. Joining an alliance might be one path to fuelling that growth, though maybe they fit OW Connect better for that.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by etiene
Fair point on the network, I don't think I see a likely solution to that in the present time though. IG seem to mostly be flying within Italy or long haul so wouldn't be the answer [at least at present]. There aren't really any other well placed Continental Europe options that aren't already part of ST or *A that I can think of...?
And I fully agree with you I'm not sure what the solution would be right now to plug this particular gap. The only real non-aligned carriers in central Continental Europe right now are U2 and FR, and I don't see them willingly stepping forward to join the OW alliance. So I guess it is a case of dreaming that there is quite a significant gap, but with no real contender to fill said gap
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
And I fully agree with you I'm not sure what the solution would be right now to plug this particular gap. The only real non-aligned carriers in central Continental Europe right now are U2 and FR, and I don't see them willingly stepping forward to join the OW alliance. So I guess it is a case of dreaming that there is quite a significant gap, but with no real contender to fill said gap
According to Wiki, IG will end up with 20 737Max and 30 788. That's isn't gonna give a particularly impressive short-haul connection network for Europe. Either a few routes served frequently or a bit of a lottery regarding decent connections to the LH network [that is: without making codeshare agreements to build that feeder system].

On the other hand, that's a rather larger fleet than RJ boast.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
The only real solution I see is waiting for the Italian government to let AZ die so IG can aggressively grow.

I'm sure that will happen any day now.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, Avis Presidents Club
Presumably another possibility could be Fiji Air joining as a full member, rather than a Connect partner...
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Surely emirates joining would be best. Biggest travel region being missed out with cheapest influence to low cost resources and fuel, especially with QR offering little ME.

QR been threatening to leave so long. They can go to skyteam.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Malev really did fill a key hole in oneworld until they went belly up. The only independent carrier of any size in EE is AirSerbia which is an Etihad partner. Everyone else is either Star Alliance (Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, LOT Polish, Croatian, Adria (Slovenia), Aegean, Turkish) or SkyTeam (Tarom Romanian, Czech, Alitalia)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
So after the announcement is there some humble pie to be eaten?

https://www.oneworld.com/news-inform..._col_count%3D7
T8191, KeaneJohn, gorps1 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I saw once that RAM/AT had a flight from Casablance to IAD, which might tempt me to try something different. But the sloping seat in their Business is a bit of a downer. But ex-LGW might just compensate!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Good news despite the limited network and so so quality. Might also lead ba to open a route to cmn
Old Dec 5, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Malev really did fill a key hole in oneworld until they went belly up. The only independent carrier of any size in EE is AirSerbia which is an Etihad partner. Everyone else is either Star Alliance (Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian, LOT Polish, Croatian, Adria (Slovenia), Aegean, Turkish) or SkyTeam (Tarom Romanian, Czech, Alitalia)
I’ve read elsewhere that LOT isn’t entirely happy in Star. Could they be persuaded to jump ship?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by mda03jb
I wouldn’t be in a rush to use RAM regardless of TP’s! An NGO I do volunteer work with in Africa forbid their staff/volunteers using them (the only airline with such a restriction) as they’ve had so many issues with lost/delayed bags, poorly handled missed connections etc.
Africa certainly has its fair share of basket case carriers, but I'd never thought of RAM sitting even close to them. I think maybe someone at your NGO has a more personal issue with the airline.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by TedToToe

I’ve read elsewhere that LOT isn’t entirely happy in Star. Could they be persuaded to jump ship?
There is much speculation about LOT and there is a good argument that they would be better off in different aliance. But the problem isn't just that, they would then need a new loyalty program to replace miles&more. They would also need something like avios as part of the deal
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Given this is pure speculation based on rumours, there is hardly any point in having a "what if" thread like this, is there?
Now it’’s official can we speculate away?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.