Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Strange high pitch noise from cabin control area

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange high pitch noise from cabin control area

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:28 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Having flown on MEDG quite a few times over the past 22 months, it has a very distinctive noise in the front part of ET after take off. Best way of describing it is as if air is leaking through a faulty seal. Obviously isn’t that as have not had a decompression incident but this is how I can best describe it. Have never heard it on any of the other MED* mid haul frames.

S
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Door seals on aircraft are slightly leaky, they're actually self-inflating - designed so that the air pressure difference inflates the seal and pushes it against the door. If the seal is slightly damaged or otherwise faulty, there can be a small but very noisy air flow. The noise can also decrease later in flight as a higher air pressure difference makes the seal seat more fully.

edit to add:

Here's a brochure describing various sorts of seals in aircraft: https://www.esterline.com/Portals/8/...raft_Seals.pdf
Note the 'lip' seals where contact force is improved by interior pressure and the 'diaphragm' seal that is inflated. THe sort I was particularly thinking of in this comment is the "Diaphragm seal.. bulb styles with vented walls"

Last edited by flatlander; Nov 28, 2018 at 5:54 am Reason: add example of seal types
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Red, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Priority Pass,
Originally Posted by gorps1
When I read the title, I thought the post was going to be about a Gold complaining about crew bags in the overheads above Row 1.
The sound of DYKWIA
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by stuart_f
Yep - That's the area I thought you meant - good description.

I must apologise, I thought I knew what you meant by the Catchphrase noise and based my answer on that but Mrs _f has just pointed out I was thinking of the Family Fortunes UHHH UHHHH (big raspberry noise when they get the X)r.
Surely that's the rejected takeoff alert
stuart_f likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by HIDDY
You know you've spent far too much time in the air when you recognise the noise an aircraft oven makes when switched on.......
Guilty, your honour ... and 25 similar offences to be taken into consideration
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Very Pavlovian ;-)

(my dog knows what sound food makes when it goes into his bowl so I guess we're talking something similar here).....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.