Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Race to the CCR: have I fallen at the last fence?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

First of all a huge thank you to everybody here who has shared their wisdom, reassurance, and sarcasm. You have kept me entertained for the last couple of years and I have seen many parts of the world I would never have thought to visit without you.

Can I ask your advice? I made GGL a couple of years ago for the first time with 5000TPs and the coveted CCR card. Last year I retained GGL but not the CCR, so this year - determined to reclaim my place at the bar - I've embarked on a whole series of trips: some work; mainly leisure; and some absolutely pointless (apart from the points, of course).

I thought I had it nailed. I'm currently on 4830TPs and about to go MAN-HEL-VNO-HEL-MAN on Finnair. This, according to my calculations, should net 200TPs. But it occurred to me that the HEL-VNO-HEL segments (AY1101 and AY1102) are with Nordic Regional rather than Finnair, which might cause a few points hiccups. Having rapidly consulted Flyertalk archives, and the BA website, it looked like I was in the clear, with only AY8--- not providing TPs.

But being the cautious type, I phoned BAEC to check. Their initial answer was that there will be no TPs. Yikes! I asked if they were absolutely sure, and they still haven't decided a couple of days later. I know I could hold tight and just wait and see if the points credit but my year ends on 8th December and I need to start cancelling work to make another dash to London if these points don't credit, so I could do with knowing sooner rather than later.

So I have two questions for all you glorious gurus.

1. Will I get TPs from AY1101 and AY1102?

2. If I don't, and I end up on an LBA-LHR trip to make up the points, will the important date be the date of travel or the date of posting? I believe that you don't get the two weeks grace when it comes to reaching the CCR card benefit. So will my TPs be zeroed on 9th December, and even though I earn the points within the year, I don't reach 5000 point and the CCR cocktails remain out of reach for another year?

Over to you .......
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Last20
1. Will I get TPs from AY1101 and AY1102?
These are operated by Norra but they are AY prime flights and would earn TPs as normal - similar to the HEL-TLL route which you may remember was quite popular with TP runners a few years ago. No J cabin on these plans so I suspect you are booked in Y class and will earn 20 TP for each flight. So total for your trip should be 80+20+20+80 = 200. I don't see why the agents were so confused.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:23 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
On point 2 - it is date of travel which matters for TP qualification. If you reset to zero on the 9th and your TP’s post on the 10th for flights on the 8th, they will go towards qualifying in your previous year.

Just for answering sake as KARFA hopefully has cleared up your first question.

Pilot37
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I can confirm you get TPs on an AY ticket with Norra, I did it for work earlier in the year and no problems at all. Nothing to be concerned about.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The biggest mystery was ringing up BA when you have access to this forum. That's quite a technical question, way outside the experience of 99.999% of travellers, and indeed most Contact Centre agents too, and the Contact Centres cannot be all knowing. BA FT, on the other hand, probably is all knowing.

I travelled on this precise itinerary last year to Vilnius on the same flights, and I can see I got the TPs and Avios for all sectors, VNO being in economy rather than in Business.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:47 am

As usual KARFA is quite correct. You will get 200 TP's and it is date of flight which counts.

Succinctly put by C-W-S, if you have questions come on here, dont bother with BA.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
These are operated by Norra but they are AY prime flights and would earn TPs as normal ........................ I don't see why the agents were so confused.
Agree totally re the confusion !

Must say I do find a certain wry amusement in the fact that BAEC is concerned primarily (though of course not exclusively) with the award of TP’s and Avios ; and yet BAEC are considered here as the last people you should call when needing advice / clarification on matters relating to ..... er ..... the award of TP’s and Avios

Fair enough, this was perhaps not quite an everyday question. But nor is it especially complex either. There can’t be too many days on which Norra-operated flights will not be carrying a number of BAEC members. So it’s a more common occurrence than a total solar eclipse, and hence one with which you might hope the BAEC dedicated team would be acquainted.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks folks - you certainly know how to reassure a gal. Karfa, you responded so quickly I picked up your reply before boarding and so chilled out with some chilled vodka, which was delightful. CWS - it's a great example of stress-driven irrational behaviour: of course you guys are the experts and in hindsight I don't know why I turned anywhere else. Thanks to everybody for responding: pilot37; bisonrav; rapidex and subject2load - you are all amazing. I remember a few drunken weekends in Tallin, although some of the details, including who was operating the flights, escape me.

So it looks like I'll spend the next year finding excuses to travel though London and working my way through the cocktail menu. Hope to join some of you at the bar.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Context: 08 Jan 2019 TP year end, end of Feb 2019 card expiry

If a partner flight, say JL for argument's sake taken on 05 Jan 2019 doesn't post to BAEC on its own and it's necessary to do a manual claim afterwards. If that manual claim doesn't go in until say 01 Mar 2019, and is then approved/posted to BAEC on 05 Mar 2019. What would be the expiry of the GGL benefits?

Would it be a GGL card expiry of end of Feb 2020? ie. you'd have less than 12 months of GGL since the GGL wouldn't take effect until early Mar 2019.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:13 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by madrooster

If a partner flight, say JL for argument's sake taken on 05 Jan 2019 doesn't post to BAEC on its own and it's necessary to do a manual claim afterwards. If that manual claim doesn't go in until say 01 Mar 2019, and is then approved/posted to BAEC on 05 Mar 2019. What would be the expiry of the GGL benefits?

Would it be a GGL card expiry of end of Feb 2020? ie. you'd have less than 12 months of GGL since the GGL wouldn't take effect until early Mar 2019.
in principle you are partly correct as the flight would credit to the 9 jan 2018-8 jan 2019 year. Your GGL card would have an expiry date of end of Feb 2020 - so that is a few days under 12 months.

However I don’t know of instances where claims for missing TPs take two months to resolve? On the few occasions I have had to do them they are usually done within a week. Also I don’t think JL have a reputation of often not crediting - unlike RJ.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by madrooster

There will always be a lag of some sort in the GGL benefits, as flights do not post instantly. Benefits are not extended if there is a delay in posting.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Last20
Thanks folks - you certainly know how to reassure a gal. Karfa, you responded so quickly I picked up your reply before boarding and so chilled out with some chilled vodka, which was delightful. CWS - it's a great example of stress-driven irrational behaviour: of course you guys are the experts and in hindsight I don't know why I turned anywhere else. Thanks to everybody for responding: pilot37; bisonrav; rapidex and subject2load - you are all amazing. I remember a few drunken weekends in Tallin, although some of the details, including who was operating the flights, escape me.

So it looks like I'll spend the next year finding excuses to travel though London and working my way through the cocktail menu. Hope to join some of you at the bar.
KARFA would rather forget his drunken weekend in TLL
Last20, squawk, aks120 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:51 am

Programs: QF Plat, BA GGL, VA Silver, SQ Gold, IHG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by KARFA
However I don’t know of instances where claims for missing TPs take two months to resolve? On the few occasions I have had to do them they are usually done within a week. Also I don’t think JL have a reputation of often not crediting - unlike RJ.
JL is probably a bad example here given they generally credit quite quickly. RJ is exactly the situation I'm actually referring to. Thanks for the info!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex
Succinctly put by C-W-S, if you have questions come on here, dont bother with BA.
BA should be paying a license fee to FT for training their call center staff or better yet for reducing manpower by decreasing calls to their customer service!
Old Nov 28, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice

BA should be paying a license fee to FT for training their call center staff or better yet for reducing manpower by decreasing calls to their customer service!
... made up for with the extended calls by people booking complicated (but cheap/TP-efficient) journeys they would never otherwise make

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.