Search

Luxembourg Turnaround

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Inc Amb
Luxembourg Turnaround

Hi all,

Looking at flying to the US in June next year - much cheaper CW flights from LUX than LHR, so looking for advice on how easy it is to come off one flight (LHR - LUX) and then get onto the next one that's flying out an hour later (LUX - LHR as first leg in flight across Atlantic).

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Peter Ould; Nov 27, 2018 at 6:03 am Reason: Clarification
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

There is a thread for back to backs and here's what it says about LUX. (by bhbloke and corporate-wage-slave)

Back-to-back / Immediate Turnarounds at BA Destinations

LUX: Very Good Good Good. Borderline excellent, no known fatalities. Landside route is described here: Airside transfer door described here
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
You may want to look at the main Back-to-Back thread, where a lot of effort has gone in to provide photos and maps of the LUX set-up. But basically you should be fine, and even manage a coffee in the lounge en route. For my sins I'm currently visiting LUX rather a lot (not for B2B purposes though I sometimes wish it was) and the transit route door has never been open.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PETER01
There is a thread for back to backs and here's what it says about LUX.

LUX: Very Good Good Good. Borderline excellent, no known fatalities. Landside route is described here: Airside transfer door described here
Brilliant - sounds like a back to back (at each end) is perfectly feasible.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
From my experience Sunday, it's fairly short a distance from arriving in, through the e-gates and baggage reclaim, back through security (although no fast track) and the Duty Free tour is short compared with other airports.

I believe there is also a back to back connecting route there.

Last edited by mtikky; Nov 27, 2018 at 6:08 am Reason: Losing track of days
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You may want to look at the main Back-to-Back thread, where a lot of effort has gone in to provide photos and maps of the LUX set-up. But basically you should be fine, and even manage a coffee in the lounge en route. For my sins I'm currently visiting LUX rather a lot (not for B2B purposes though I sometimes wish it was) and the transit route door has never been open.
Exactly what I was looking for. Seems this will be a doddle.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Peter Ould
Brilliant - sounds like a back to back (at each end) is perfectly feasible.
Well, if @corporate-wage-slave says it's easy and he's doing that route regularly then............. that's good enough for me!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:16 am

Exactly what I was looking for. Seems this will be a doddle.
Just as much a doddle as reading the BA Forum Dashboard where lots of things are covered.................
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Just as much a doddle as reading the BA Forum Dashboard where lots of things are covered.................
Touché

I've just realised a bonus - all the LHR airside time is in T3 so Cathay First lounge!!!!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:24 am

Touché

I've just realised a bonus - all the LHR airside time is in T3 so Cathay First lounge!!!!
Hee hee.

That's a bonus then and enjoy! A very nice lounge indeed ^
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:10 am

I’ve been there a few times recently after a gap of a year or two.

There are now e-gates for Immigration, but they might not be turned on.

There are two security points at either end of the check-in desks. It’s not foolproof, but you should do a visual check to see which has the longer queue. You can only see the queue to the boarding pass scan.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:51 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For my sins I'm currently visiting LUX rather a lot
Hi @corporate-wage-slave

Slightly OT, but may I ask a question: I need to go to LUX on Monday to sign some stuff and and wondering how painful security is if, as it seems, there is no Fast Track? I am aiming to get BA417 LUX-LHR dep 11h15, and establishing when I need to leave the city centre. I'd rather get back to London before the LuxAir 3pm flight to LCY for various reasons.
Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Hi @corporate-wage-slave

Slightly OT, but may I ask a question: I need to go to LUX on Monday to sign some stuff and and wondering how painful security is if, as it seems, there is no Fast Track? I am aiming to get BA417 LUX-LHR dep 11h15, and establishing when I need to leave the city centre. I'd rather get back to London before the LuxAir 3pm flight to LCY for various reasons.
Thanks in advance!
that is a quiet time of day at LUX - add to that it's not holiday period and you should be able to just sail through. If there DID happen to be a queue at security at one end, just try the other end. Also at security closest to the BA check-in desks, there is a non-obvious and little used third channel on the left hand side.

You need the 16 bus which runs every 10 minutes. It's a quick run - say 30 minutes from the station, less from the centre of town
TheJayHatch likes this.

Last edited by andrelux; Nov 30, 2018 at 5:06 am Reason: 25 mins a bit optimistic!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:28 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TheJayHatch
Hi @corporate-wage-slave

Thanks in advance!
And I have been through during holiday periods and though there was a bit of a queue it still didn't take that long. It is a small and efficient airport. The third channel referred to by andrelux is actually a dog leg to the main pair of security channels, it's not open if it is quiet, but then places you directly in line of sight with the lounge at the end. The staff don't seem to shuffle passengers between the three lanes to balance the workload, for some reason so you have to make your own decision.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:17 pm

Hee hee.

That's a bonus then and enjoy! A very nice lounge indeed ^
According to the Cathay forum, the LHR caterers have just been changed, leading to some BA style enhancements
PETER01 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.