Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Holiday - Balance not paid but still valid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Holiday - Balance not paid but still valid?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
With this in mind - do you have anything confirming cancellation in writing? i.e. did you email them, and receive a response?
From what I understood from this thread, the OP didn't cancel his ticket, he just didn't pay anything more than the deposit?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
From what I understood from this thread, the OP didn't cancel his ticket, he just didn't pay anything more than the deposit?
That's my understanding as well.

But BA Holidays appear to have issued the ticket, which I deem unusual (and costly for them) unless it was a higher than normal deposit that included the full cost of the the flight ticket, perhaps due to an early ticket deadline.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Exactly this. I got a call saying the balance was now overdue and they were going to cancel the ticket if I didn’t pay within 24hours. I explained that it was highly unlikely we were now going to take the trip. They said there was no need to call back as it would automatically get cancelled if I didn’t pay in the timeframe. When I’ve done this before that’s early what happened and all trace of the trip disappears within a couple of days.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
That's a very unusual business practice if that's true, and I can't see why they would. They naturally have full access to BA's Tour Op fares which require ticketing 31 days (form memory, might be 28) prior to departure. When they issue a ticket they pay BA in full within 31 days via BSP. This implies that they will pay out more than they take in from a deposit when they don't need to, which is a business risk. It also limits changes, and is more costly to administer. The only advantage I see is that they are not subject to paying additional taxes / YQ should they go up.

Some airlines have Tour Op fares that need issueing within x days - a special with early ticketing date (Thai, Qatar particularly culpable), but BA typically don't.

If booking within 10 weeks of departure I could understand.But I can't see a valid one. I'll drop one of my friends a line as obviously i'm missing something if true, and that will bug me!
live always wondered how it worked as whilst I’ve never cancelled a holiday the max deposit I e paid is Ł300 and that’s for a Ł1500 J class ticket and Ł1000 hotel, indeed if you cancel up to 5 weeks before all you would forfeit is the Ł300 deposit.

This yesr i got my funds available dates dates wrong and I called BA and asked if I could pay 2 days late snd he needed to check if any component had a liability within 35 days. When they didn’t I was told this was perfectly fine,
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
so you’ve not been charged the full amount yet you want to try and get back taxes you’ve not paid. This is the very definition of fraud...
It really isn’t.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:22 pm

Working in travel, this sounds like a major mess up by them that will cost them a fortune if they've ticketed it without taking balance from you. It will only become apparent to them when you no-show at the airport, then they will be alerted via their queues, and will have lost a small fortune. It's possible they havn't cancelled your accommodation either, and will be liable to pay in full as you'll technically be a no-show. So they could end up losing 80-85% of your total holiday cost, which if it's longhaul and in J would be substantial. And probably as some lowly admin person hasn't ticked a box or dealt with your cancellation.

With this in mind - do you have anything confirming cancellation in writing? i.e. did you email them, and receive a response? I hope so.

I would seriously consider contacting them quickly and just saying 'my BA App is saying my cancelled holiday is still active as I have the flights showing. Have you actually cancelled them properly?'. This will enable them to cancel the flights and lose far less than they would for a no-show. I have a couple of friends at BA Holidays, they are actually quite a small, low key company, not some humongous Tour Op. Someone will pay for it, possibly with their job if it's an individual error... So i'd urge you to make one additional call / email, even if it's not your fault (it's not!).

Don't attempt to travel, I think they have 2 years to come after you for the balance

I'm hoping it's just an error with the app, and the tickets aren't issued.
Sorry but this is a ridiculous post. Firstly, while BA Holidays is not in itself a humongous company, it is a wholly owned subsidiary of one (BA/IAG). Secondly, no one is going to lose their job over this (unless of course it's the final straw in a series of major errors by an individual, in which case they probably should lose their job!).

OP has already spoken to BA and said they did not intend to travel. They have no moral or legal obligation whatsoever to waste their own time calling again to sort it out. Of course if OP wants to then fine, but please don't guilt trip them into doing it.
Pelu and wilsnunn like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Sorry but this is a ridiculous post. Firstly, while BA Holidays is not in itself a humongous company, it is a wholly owned subsidiary of one (BA/IAG). Secondly, no one is going to lose their job over this (unless of course it's the final straw in a series of major errors by an individual, in which case they probably should lose their job!).

OP has already spoken to BA and said they did not intend to travel. They have no moral or legal obligation whatsoever to waste their own time calling again to sort it out. Of course if OP wants to then fine, but please don't guilt trip them into doing it.
i agree with this!

1. My former company was a major tour operator and I saw the hotel contracts, generally the internal deal is 24-48 hours notice (some even less) and any less than the notice period, the charge is loss of 1-3 nights accom cost not, not the full duration. (Also bear in mind hotels are paid 30-90 days after the stay so there has been no payment at this point anyway)

2. The airline seat is an inter company transaction so there will be no loss in the value of the ticket, maybe on a local level but when the accounts are consolidated it is gone straight away

3. A close family member was a director at BA hols (although a very long time ago) and from her stories of back in the 80-90s what people used to get away with on mistakes, no one would lose a job over this
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1

Mmm, sorry - there is no guilt trip here which is why I asked if they had the cancellation in writing. Because it COULD come back to them when someone tries to work out what happens. Not in that they have made any error, they havn't, but someone has, so it's typical that there would be an investigation, albeit a simple phone call. I've seen plenty of similar situations at larger companies than BA Holidays. It's pre-empting that. It's sensible if you've picked up a problem.

Tales of 80's & 90's are completely irrelevant to what goes on today. I've seen the changes. I've seen what happens when systems don't link frequent flyer cards to peoples names, or Nectar numbers to peoples names. The modern travel industry bares no relation to what happened pre-2011, which in many ways is a shame. BA Holidays is a lovely company in Crawley that is more traditional than people expect, the staff consider themselves outside of the mega structure that is BA, and operates with more independence that people might think.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by aidy
1. My former company was a major tour operator and I saw the hotel contracts, generally the internal deal is 24-48 hours notice (some even less) and any less than the notice period, the charge is loss of 1-3 nights accom cost not, not the full duration. (Also bear in mind hotels are paid 30-90 days after the stay so there has been no payment at this point anyway)
Sorry, this is no longer true. I am a hotel contractor. And was at a huge worldwide company when this may have been the case. But major travel company collapses have eradicated widescale availability of credit, and a no-show is a no-show, and subject to 100% cancellation, which is what were talking about here.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:02 pm

Mmm, sorry - there is no guilt trip here which is why I asked if they had the cancellation in writing. Because it COULD come back to them when someone tries to work out what happens. Not in that they have made any error, they havn't, but someone has, so it's typical that there would be an investigation, albeit a simple phone call. I've seen plenty of similar situations at larger companies than BA Holidays. It's pre-empting that. It's sensible if you've picked up a problem.
'Come back to them' in what sense'? A phone call that could proceed as follows: "Agent: Hello, we see that you didn't pay the balance or travel on your holiday? Customer: No, I didn't. Agent: Ok, bye."

And, err, how is the below not a guilt trip?

I have a couple of friends at BA Holidays, they are actually quite a small, low key company, not some humongous Tour Op. Someone will pay for it, possibly with their job if it's an individual error... So i'd urge you to make one additional call / email, even if it's not your fault (it's not!).
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA
Are we seriously considering "small" and "local" a company with a 750 Millions pounds turnover and 30 Mil pounds profit?!?!? Come on guys!!
I also think the OP has absolutely nothing to worry about as it's written everywhere that if you don't pay the full balance the ticket will be cancelled. Whether that will be done or not by the TA is not the customer's problem, it is really as simple as that.
aidy likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
As a "small" travel company, perhaps some problems like this would do them some good in the long run - it might incentivise them to introduce some stronger controls for cancelled bookings.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:07 pm

I have a couple of friends at BA Holidays, they are actually quite a small, low key company, not some humongous Tour Op. Someone will pay for it, possibly with their job if it's an individual error... So i'd urge you to make one additional call / email, even if it's not your fault (it's not!).
Well as it happens one of my kids is a supervisor at BA Holidays, and I can say with 100% certainty you are talking complete balls.

Partly because they are a subsidiary of IAG, partly because they will turn over close to Ł1 billion this year (small/low key - LMAO) and partly because no-one will get fired for a genuine mistake.

As they say, better to stay quiet and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt.....
Oaxaca, Ldnn1, Pelu and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Well, BA Holidays are relatively small by passenger authorization compared to the big ones (Jet2 now has a higher Pax number).. Still BA Holidays are bigger than Virgin Holidays.. This list is from the first half of the year so not up-to-date.

As to been ticketed, my BA holiday for next year has been ticketed, got the 125-xxx numbers and showing in the app but I have only paid the deposit so far. If I cancel I will lost the deposit but if I had paid more and it was close to going I would lose more. If I had paid in full I MIGHT be able to claim the tax back for the flight if I cancelled at the last minute but I doubt it.

Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by SonTech
Well, BA Holidays are relatively small by passenger authorization compared to the big ones (Jet2 now has a higher Pax number).. Still BA Holidays are bigger than Virgin Holidays.. This list is from the first half of the year so not up-to-date.

As to been ticketed, my BA holiday for next year has been ticketed, got the 125-xxx numbers and showing in the app but I have only paid the deposit so far. If I cancel I will lost the deposit but if I had paid more and it was close to going I would lose more. If I had paid in full I MIGHT be able to claim the tax back for the flight if I cancelled at the last minute but I doubt it.
The authorised list is available on the CAA website and updated every day.

BA Holidays is almost 3x the size of Virgin, 6x Carnival, 10x Flight Centre so hardly a small operation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.