Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Holiday - Balance not paid but still valid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:11 am
Original Poster

I don’t know if this is an IT glitch or not.

Bought a BA holiday and paid the deposit. For one reason or another we decided not to travel and therefore didn’t pay the balance when due. Forgot all about it thinking it would just disappear from MMB, app etc.

However with two days to go it’s still showing (including selected seats etc) in the app and MMB. I have also received the emails a few days ago welcoming onto our forthcoming trip.

So my question is if I tried to checkin would we be accepted for travel?

Just to be clear we can’t actually travel on the dates I just wondered!

Thanks
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:43 am
Suspended

Is there a 125..... ticket number in the booking?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richardwft
Is there a 125..... ticket number in the booking?
Yes followed by the usual 10 digits.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Anywhere nice? I'll go :-P
'andad and abersoch3254 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coffeemadman
Anywhere nice? I'll go :-P
Yes, it’s hot and far away (and in J)!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
They normally get cancelled a few weeks before the travel date. I would say this one has dropped of their radar.

They usually send you a few emails and they even left me a voicemail when I was forfeiting a holiday booking, Have they tried this with you?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Would you be better off formally cancelling the trip and get the airport charges refunded rather than just let it lapse?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Would you be better off formally cancelling the trip and get the airport charges refunded rather than just let it lapse?
As its a holiday booking the OP wouldn't get anything back, you basically just lose your deposit.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gomac
They normally get cancelled a few weeks before the travel date. I would say this one has dropped of their radar.

They usually send you a few emails and they even left me a voicemail when I was forfeiting a holiday booking, Have they tried this with you?
Yes had the emails and call. Even told them on the call we couldn’t go any more and they said it would just expire....
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SonTech
As its a holiday booking the OP wouldn't get anything back, you basically just lose your deposit.
i wonder though as it has actually been ticketed whether I could ask for the tax back? It would go some way to mitigate the lost deposit.....
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Mns1977

i wonder though as it has actually been ticketed whether I could ask for the tax back? It would go some way to mitigate the lost deposit.....
so you’ve not been charged the full amount yet you want to try and get back taxes you’ve not paid. This is the very definition of fraud...
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:35 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Working in travel, this sounds like a major mess up by them that will cost them a fortune if they've ticketed it without taking balance from you. It will only become apparent to them when you no-show at the airport, then they will be alerted via their queues, and will have lost a small fortune. It's possible they havn't cancelled your accommodation either, and will be liable to pay in full as you'll technically be a no-show. So they could end up losing 80-85% of your total holiday cost, which if it's longhaul and in J would be substantial. And probably as some lowly admin person hasn't ticked a box or dealt with your cancellation.

With this in mind - do you have anything confirming cancellation in writing? i.e. did you email them, and receive a response? I hope so.

I would seriously consider contacting them quickly and just saying 'my BA App is saying my cancelled holiday is still active as I have the flights showing. Have you actually cancelled them properly?'. This will enable them to cancel the flights and lose far less than they would for a no-show. I have a couple of friends at BA Holidays, they are actually quite a small, low key company, not some humongous Tour Op. Someone will pay for it, possibly with their job if it's an individual error... So i'd urge you to make one additional call / email, even if it's not your fault (it's not!).

Don't attempt to travel, I think they have 2 years to come after you for the balance

I'm hoping it's just an error with the app, and the tickets aren't issued.
windowontheAside and LSunbury like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Working in travel, this sounds like a major mess up by them that will cost them a fortune if they've ticketed it without taking balance from you. It will only become apparent to them when you no-show at the airport, then they will be alerted via their queues, and will have lost a small fortune. It's possible they havn't cancelled your accommodation either, and will be liable to pay in full as you'll technically be a no-show. So they could end up losing 80-85% of your total holiday cost, which if it's longhaul and in J would be substantial. And probably as some lowly admin person hasn't ticked a box or dealt with your cancellation.

With this in mind - do you have anything confirming cancellation in writing? i.e. did you email them, and receive a response? I hope so.

I would seriously consider contacting them quickly and just saying 'my BA App is saying my cancelled holiday is still active as I have the flights showing. Have you actually cancelled them properly?'. This will enable them to cancel the flights and lose far less than they would for a no-show. I have a couple of friends at BA Holidays, they are actually quite a small, low key company, not some humongous Tour Op. Someone will pay for it, possibly with their job if it's an individual error... So i'd urge you to make one additional call / email, even if it's not your fault (it's not!).

Don't attempt to travel, I think they have 2 years to come after you for the balance

I'm hoping it's just an error with the app, and the tickets aren't issued.
BA holidays normally issue a ticket on booking and just reissue the e-ticket evrytime you make an instalment payment. Nothing to suggest that they only ticket on payment of balance.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
BA will simply ADM BA Holidays for the balance and the hotel may do the same. What BA Holidays does vis-a-vis OP is between the two of them.

Best practice is to call BA Holidays and then confirm with an email that you originally cancelled on a specific date in the past and then called again today. It's likely sufficient if you have a copy of your email from BA Holidays confirming the cancellation. Don't lose that email.

So, bottom line is that it isn't worth the time, effort, and money to deal with this downstream when a quick call and email today will solve it.

As to the taxes, they are refundable. But, to BA Holidays.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
BA holidays normally issue a ticket on booking and just reissue the e-ticket evrytime you make an instalment payment. Nothing to suggest that they only ticket on payment of balance.
That's a very unusual business practice if that's true, and I can't see why they would. They naturally have full access to BA's Tour Op fares which require ticketing 31 days (form memory, might be 28) prior to departure. When they issue a ticket they pay BA in full within 31 days via BSP. This implies that they will pay out more than they take in from a deposit when they don't need to, which is a business risk. It also limits changes, and is more costly to administer. The only advantage I see is that they are not subject to paying additional taxes / YQ should they go up.

Some airlines have Tour Op fares that need issueing within x days - a special with early ticketing date (Thai, Qatar particularly culpable), but BA typically don't.

If booking within 10 weeks of departure I could understand.But I can't see a valid one. I'll drop one of my friends a line as obviously i'm missing something if true, and that will bug me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.