Bad experience or the norm in BA F?

Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
stay with BA because status is relatively easy to achieve and has good benefits

I guess these other, supposedly better, airlines are doing something wrong if they can't entice these people, who value luxury and are prepared to pay for it, to fly with them...

relatively good premium cabin fares, including all of the exEU deals.
This is strange to read with respect to a group of people who, every chance they have, claim that they are prepared to pay a premium for their version of a premium product.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
I guess these other, supposedly better, airlines are doing something wrong if they can't entice these people, who value luxury and are prepared to pay for it, to fly with them...
It would be worth remembering that earning (very) high status in BAEC and actually flying BA are not mutually inclusive. There are many people on here that have (very) high status, but fly far more frequently with OW partners as opposed to BA.

This is exactly my situation. I find BAEC is an excellent FF scheme, and the best overall rewards for my OW flying (in my opinion). However, BA is not the overall carrier that meets my needs best, save 10-12 J hops annually from East Coast US and a handful of Y shorthaul sectors per year. My needs can be satisfied by flying OW partners (no need to mention who) or other alliances (*A) for the better overall value/quality proposition.

Therefore, other airlines can attract me to fly with them at the price they are offering (either paid by my employer or myself). But the reality is I credit my flying to BAEC (and I will say again, BAEC is an excellent FF programme).

It may not be as clear cut as you make out
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In the interest of fairness I intend to post another review to this thread after my return flight later this week. Hopefully it was a one off last time!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by rossmacd

It may not be as clear cut as you make out
My comment was made with reference to flying BA rather than crediting to BAEC (if you read the post I was replying to).
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:55 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

My comment was made with reference to flying BA rather than crediting to BAEC (if you read the post I was replying to).
As has been said many times before, a lot of people don't have any choice as their employer has a contract with BA.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:05 am

The post(/quote) you were referring to was regarding earning status in BAEC, not necessarily flying BA
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I suspect that people here stay with BA because status is relatively easy to achieve and has good benefits (lounges primarily, but also seat reservations without fees and theoretical seating) compared to other FF programs and also because they can get relatively good premium cabin fares, including all of the exEU deals. It also helps that BA has a good worldwide network and some good partners, including CX, JL, QF and QR.

(bold added)

Indeed.

It’s a point which has been made on many previous occasions, across many threads, but of course still holds true.

There are some who will choose to fly BA exclusively (or as exclusively as may be feasible, depending on required destination), presumably because they feel the airline provides a level of onboard service which meets their needs ; although corporate agreements can often be a factor too.

But there are of course a whole group of frequent flyers for whom the relationship with BA is much more about the excellent BAEC programme, and the range of high quality carriers available within the OW alliance.
MSPeconomist and rossmacd like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
The post(/quote) you were referring to was regarding earning status in BAEC, not necessarily flying BA
Well, we are discussing flying BA, all comments before mine were made about why people continue flying BA. No one complained about crediting flights by other OW airlines to BAEC. My comment was made specifically about flying BA.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
As has been said many times before, a lot of people don't have any choice as their employer has a contract with BA.

Then, they should complain to their employer if they have no say.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Well, we are discussing flying BA, all comments before mine were made about why people continue flying BA. No one complained about crediting flights by other OW airlines to BAEC. My comment was made specifically about flying BA.

IIRC BA status requires a small number of BA operated flights in addition to the required credits from either BA flights or partner/oneworld flights.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:20 am

And in the real world...
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

I would imagine many, many people do exactly that* - judging from some of the comments and ratings given to BA across various consumer surveys and review sites.

* or at least would wish to, ideally.

Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:22 am

IIRC BA status requires a small number of BA operated flights in addition to the required credits from either BA flights or partner/oneworld flights.
Not these days. They have to be BA flight numbers, but can be on IB/AY etc. aircraft.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:03 am

I am sorry but how did a discussion of why some people continue flying BA despite not liking what BA offers turn into a discussion that some people credit to BAEC but are not flying BA? I don't think that those who complain about BA's F or CW not being 'real' F or J classes are flying F or J as one of the 4 qualifying flights? They surely would take a shorthaul flight? Or fly a BA*I-love-this-airline codeshare? Unless, of course, we assume that every one of BA's passengers are those on one of the 4 qualifying BAEC flights.

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
And in the real world...
Yes, I agree, sometimes it helps to see what's going on in the real world.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:08 am

I am sorry but how did a discussion of why some people continue flying BA despite not liking what BA offers turn into a discussion that some people credit to BAEC but are not flying BA?
The discussion was about a bad experience in F... you took it off topic.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:11 am

I choose to fly BA. I choose not to fly BA F any more because of I've had too many inconsistent experiences.

When BA get it right it can be great; when they don't it's poor. I no longer gamble my Avios or cash on which I might get.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.