Bad experience or the norm in BA F?

Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by jerub

Crew make or break the flight, and despite its other challenges, somehow BA manages to retain a small number of absolutely wonderful crew.
So true, and I guess I've been lucky on my LHR-SFO-LHR flights this month in F: fantastic crew, good food, and new plane (A380). Well, the A380 was by choice!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by subject2load
However, when things are so very bad as described here, you can’t help wonder just how much merit there is in complaining ........ or whether it’s better simply to move your custom elsewhere.
I'm constantly surprised by the number of posters who have negative BA experiences yet still continue to fly with the airline. I certainly wouldn't.

To answer the OP. Been years since I flew BA F however even back then it was possible to have a poor experience. Mine was on a SYD-SIN flight....although strangely enough my wife thought it was fine. That tells me peoples opinions of the same product can vary widely.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Crew are not rostered on abilty or performance and no route is considered special so you never know what you are going to get, as a SCCM the skill identifying poor performers and managing them proactively.
volar likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Chris9642

Next F flight in a couple of weeks to Abu Dhabi on the 787-9 F but it’s mixed fleet so hopes arent hugely high based on a recent ORD disaster in terms of service delivery.
I think my recent NRT to LHR 789 would have been Mixed Fleet, and it could not have been better, all of the crew from CSD down were fantastic for the whole 13 hours. On the other hand the only one awful F crew I have had were WW 4 years ago, BLR to LHR, unbelievably amateur and offhand.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
NRT is WW crew.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: JAL Diamond, BAEC Gold, AS 75K, VS Gold, AC 50K, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS

pvg-lhr with a full cabin
I'm not that surprised when there's bad catering given it departed from PVG.

Also LHR connection IS a pain but I personally think it is (slightly) better than connecting in a mainland China airport (cough cough CA).
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Not usual at all, although the food varies from great to horrific, depending mainly on your luck/ choices it seems.

Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:35 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
[QUOTE=cubedweller;30470857I've only ever had one decent F crew and that was 4 years ago. The frustrating things is I can't figure out WHY they're so bad. Is it culture? Training? Resentment towards their employer?[/QUOTE]

It's the culture: arrogance, complacency, lack of a culture of service, which is (ought to be) what they're there for. And as we know, it's not limited to F crews. The stand-offish, we-know-better-than-you attitude of BA cabin staff in general never fails to displease.....
Old Nov 27, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by 1P
The stand-offish, we-know-better-than-you attitude of BA cabin staff in general never fails to displease.....
I’m sorry, but this statement simply goes too far. There are undoubtedly bad crews (or crew members who are having a bad day), but I have not found this to be the norm. In fact, I fully expect to be greeted by a smiling, friendly face when boarding a BA flight, and for that to continue through the flight. It doesn’t always happen, but I consider that the exception.
HIDDY and flyingmonkie like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by 1P
It's the culture: arrogance, complacency, lack of a culture of service, which is (ought to be) what they're there for. And as we know, it's not limited to F crews. The stand-offish, we-know-better-than-you attitude of BA cabin staff in general never fails to displease.....
I've seen a lot of tosh posted during my time on FT but that even beats the tosh that bloke HIDDY posts.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by amt
meal choice requested before departure not available
BA F is notorious for loading insufficient meal choices so you'll finish up with that woeful meal no-one else wanted. Especially when the cabin isn't full it seems the scrooges at BA only load one or two of each choice. So the workaround ia/was to book your meal in advance.

Except it seems that's not necessarily working either?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Some crew are just disinterested / having a bad day and the same can apply to customers! I like BA’s ‘service style’ / tone and really value the way experienced / talented crew can judge the mood of each person - ie do they want to chat or be left alone; do they need help with that or will they feel patronised if I offer? A lot of BA cabin and ground staff have been doing the job for a very long time & will deviate from the script / craze of the moment to ‘deliver’ a good, personalised, service. Some call that inconsistent. I also like QR but I do find many of their crews to be a bit more robotic in their approach or when handling non-standard requests.

I’ve had many great F flights but the less good ones always seemed to be prefaced by a CSD who was terse / appeared stressed & this trickled down into the team. Best flight in F ever also had a really excellent CSD. You can normally tell within 10 seconds of boarding how it’s going to be.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Whilst there are a lot of things that need to improve at BA, the crew are still the best thing about the airline. I fly many sectors every year, in various classes and aircraft, and on different routes, and over many years, and I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of crew that stood out as poor. 99% are ok or above. Many are excellent.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:16 pm

I just got off a 9-hour BA flight in First, LHR to SEA.

The flight was delightful, the service impeccable.

As the bumper sticker says: "Happiness = (Reality, minus Expectations)"
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'm constantly surprised by the number of posters who have negative BA experiences yet still continue to fly with the airline. I certainly wouldn't.

To answer the OP. Been years since I flew BA F however even back then it was possible to have a poor experience. Mine was on a SYD-SIN flight....although strangely enough my wife thought it was fine. That tells me peoples opinions of the same product can vary widely.
I suspect that people here stay with BA because status is relatively easy to achieve and has good benefits (lounges primarily, but also seat reservations without fees and theoretical seating) compared to other FF programs and also because they can get relatively good premium cabin fares, including all of the exEU deals. It also helps that BA has a good worldwide network and some good partners, including CX, JL, QF and QR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.