How to avoid Economy Basic in ITA

Old Nov 27, 18, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
25/07 to fly a month later. During my search on FT and reading all threads about baggage and seat choice, I haven't encountered the table you posted.

"Thank you for choosing American Airlines, a member of the oneworld® Alliance. Below are your itinerary and receipt for the ticket(s) purchased. Please print and retain this document for use throughout your trip.
  • Seats assigned at check-in¹
  • Not eligible for upgrades
  • 50% EQMs & EQSs
  • Not eligible for same-day flight changes or standby Rules apply to all passengers including AAdvantage elites

¹ British Airways, Finnair and Iberia have different rules for seats and boarding. Check with the airline that operates your flight.
You're booked in Basic EconomyRestrictions include:Basic Economy rules»

Old Nov 27, 18, 6:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The table posted above by tobsw is an official oneworld communication, which is found on the BA and other airline trade sites. It also features on this forum's thread on longhaul Basic fares - see end posts for the previous discussion on this point. Unless you bought the ticket a long time ago, on BA metal Basic = no bags, as simple as that. Other airlines it's different.
AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced

Incidentally it's best to avoid copies on blog sites, at least one such PDF is well out of date.
Old Nov 27, 18, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
The post in mentioned thread is from October not from June as tobsw said earlier. I booked in July and back then only saw previous table. I guess, basic economy is a no go now. Will make sure to avoid it.

Even you mentioned, that there are two versions of the same document, one probably updated recently. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30412813-post159.html
wilsnunn likes this.

Last edited by Richmond_Surrey; Nov 27, 18 at 7:02 am
Old Nov 27, 18, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The table posted above by tobsw is an official oneworld communication, which is found on the BA and other airline trade sites. It also features on this forum's thread on longhaul Basic fares - see end posts for the previous discussion on this point. Unless you bought the ticket a long time ago, on BA metal Basic = no bags, as simple as that. Other airlines it's different.
AA/BA/AY/IB Long Haul basic unbundled / HBO fares announced

Incidentally it's best to avoid copies on blog sites, at least one such PDF is well out of date.
Thank you for this @corporate-wage-slave. I am wondering if it would be worth adding a Wiki to the thread mentioned so that latest information can be easily accessible without having to trawl through the thread. I would volunteer to do it, but alas my post count is still too low.

At the same time, maybe the number of us here on FT worrying about such tickets is so small that it won’t make much difference!
Old Nov 27, 18, 7:12 am
Suspended

Btw some AA aircraft have MCE narrow seats, mainly B777 and B787, these may not be better than a standard BA seat.
Old Nov 27, 18, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by richardwft View Post
Btw some AA aircraft have MCE narrow seats, mainly B777 and B787, these may not be better than a standard BA seat.
But, on the other hand, if you end up connecting (e.g. LHR-JFK-LAX), you will actually be able to pick “Premium Economy” seats as MCE.
Old Nov 27, 18, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

I have been having a little search and once again I have been thwarted by big price differentials between Basic Economy and Standard:

Price difference between Basic Economy and Main Cabin

Search this Thread
Search Engine: