Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA refuses boarding back to UK despite OK from Immigration Authorities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA refuses boarding back to UK despite OK from Immigration Authorities

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:27 am

If you cant get your passport, go to your home country on your expired ID and renew. You will have no problem going home on expired ID, then travel with your new one. No further problems.
armouredant likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by mgiarc
If this is an airline liability issue, why not fly to Paris or Brussels (within Schengen, so no immigration) and then present yourself directly to UK border officials at the Eurostar terminal?
Because Eurostar has the same immigration liabilities as airlines do.

at Brussels you only get to see an UK immigration officer once you’ve had your ticket checked and gone through security. What does the OP then do if they refuse him - he’s got a likely unrefundable Eurostar ticket because he didn’t have a valid travel document!

Also I can’t remember if Eurostar ask to see your passport as part of their check in process before they let you through security. So they may refuse him too
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: Delta PM
Blah, Blah, Blah, Yes, BA has the right to do anything they want. Totally agree.

But any common sense has been totally lost by BA and all the defenders.

The OP has an EXPIRED ID Card. So, from one day to the next when the ID card expired, does your existence expire?
WHAT do you think changed?

Totally much ado about NOTHING and just one more reason of the thousands NOT TO EVER FLY B A

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Nov 26, 2018 at 7:00 am Reason: Remove OMNI material
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
This is surprisingly simple to sort out. The rules state that you cannot travel without adequate documents, so there is no way that an airline will consider carriage, It makes no difference that you are willing to pay the fine - it's not just the money but the repuational damage too, that they knowingly broke the law on the basis that someone else would pay the fine. The law doesn't work like that.

You need an emergency travel document, which can be obtained from your consulate. If you need a birth certificate for that and it sounds like you do, then the best way is to get your wife to fly it out immediately. If you're willing to pay £3000 as a fine, then a ticket to Budapest is clearly a massive saving. She could have done that first thing today, and you could have applied for the document today.

Someone's else picking your passport up is probably going to be problematic.

One further thing, photocopies/photos of documents are almost always, not considered acceptable. You need the original.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
[left]

I don't see how it can - by the time a passenger boards the train, exit and entry immigration formalities have been performed ; if someone gets on the train then that person has cleared immigration
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

at Brussels you only get to see an UK immigration officer once you’ve had your ticket checked and gone through security. What does the OP then do if they refuse him - he’s got a likely unrefundable Eurostar ticket because he didn’t have a valid travel document!

Also I can’t remember if Eurostar ask to see your passport as part of their check in process before they let you through security. So they may refuse him too
The premise of the OP's post is that he has a right of entry to the UK, but is being denied access to the UK border by BA. I don't believe Eurostar check your passport/ID at check-in, but if they did and had an issue, they could check it with the border officials at the same terminal, who would be the people determining entry in any event. If the OP doesn't have a right of entry (though given he can establish he is an EU citizen, by means of his expired ID, it is difficult to see on what basis), then better hanging out in Paris/Brussels/Budapest than in a UK immigration detention centre!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by wxman22
Blah, Blah, Blah, Yes, BA has the right to do anything they want. Totally agree.

But any common sense has been totally lost by BA and all the defenders.

The OP has an EXPIRED ID Card. So, from one day to the next when the ID card expired, does your existence expire?

Totally much ado about NOTHING and just one more reason of the thousands NOT TO EVER FLY B A
You could apply that logic to lots of things; passports, cheques, credit cards, car insurance, MOTs on vehicles etc etc. If it's expired then it's not acceptable.

Also, this is not just BA, it's applicable to all airlines. So maybe it should read 'just another reason not to fly with xxxxx (insert name of hated airline)'.

Andriyko and argonath like this.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Nov 26, 2018 at 7:01 am Reason: Amend moderated section of quote
Old Nov 26, 2018, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by frozenheart
Interesting to note the differences between this version of the OP's story and the version posted on another forum where he openly admitted he knew in advance of the trip that his EU ID was expired but it was "too much of a pain to renew".
Good morning everyone! Glad my story keeps you entertained
Let me just make a few things very clear.

1. I never said I KNOWINGLY exited the UK with an invalid ID. I ALWAYS travel with my passport, I know exactly when my passport expires. Because the passport was not with me at the time, I decided to take my EU ID....I Forgot to check the expiration date. Probably because in my mind I had this idea that my passport is 5 years away from expiring. Who knows, anyway my fault for not checking the validity. I only discovered the ID was invalid upon arrival in Hungary.
2. Didn't express myself clearly. What I meant to say by "too much pain to renew", is that my embassy wont give me a temporary passport without a birth certificate
3. I agree that I'm the main one responsible for this but maintain that BA has some fault for letting me board in the first place. Since they didn't bother to check the validity when I left, why can't they return the same "favour" for my return to the UK? The annoying part is also that my wife mentioned that when she boarded the plane, the guys at the gate were looking at IDs super quickly and wasn't looking like they were checking validity, just for the name to match the ticket. Classic!
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by mgiarc
The premise of the OP's post is that he has a right of entry to the UK, but is being denied access to the UK border by BA. I don't believe Eurostar check your passport/ID at check-in, but if they did and had an issue, they could check it with the border officials at the same terminal, who would be the people determining entry in any event. If the OP doesn't have a right of entry (though given he can establish he is an EU citizen, by means of his expired ID, it is difficult to see on what basis), then better hanging out in Paris/Brussels/Budapest than in a UK immigration detention centre!
I understand that, however if I was the BF officer at Coquelles and I learned that the OP had tried and failed to get through immigration in Budapest and had then travelled over land to have another go at a different (supposedly easier) port, then my suspicions would be raised somewhat.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by fomc
3. I agree that I'm the main one responsible for this but maintain that BA has some fault for letting me board in the first place.
You need to stop blaming BA for your own actions and decisions. BA does not check documents for a passenger's benefit. If BA wanted to, they could stop all document checks and just accept all the fines imposed for carrying passengers with improper documents.

BA had no need to check at LHR whether you had documents to enter the UK because you were not travelling to the UK. Depending upon which country ID you had and when it was issued, you may have had sufficient documents to enter Hungary because your expired ID may be considered to have been automatically extended by 5 years. Hungary accepts such 'expired IDs,' while the UK does not. So, when you were travelling to Hungary your docs may have been OK and BA may have had no reason to deny boarding. You had to make sure that your documents were OK both to enter Hungary and then to come back to the UK. Putting the blame on BA that they did not check that you would be able to return is just misplaced.. Had BA denied you boarding at LHR on your way to BUD even though you had proper documents for Hungary, we'd be reading about how BA is at fault for not letting you travel (and in that case BA certainly would). If, however, you did not have proper documents to enter Hungary and the gate agent did not do their job properly, you can't just ask agents at BUD to also ignore their responsibilities and let you board the plane without proper documents.

Last edited by Andriyko; Nov 26, 2018 at 5:31 am
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by wxman22
So why have an expiry date at all? And if you have one but will make exceptions, how do expect an airport agent to make the distinction as to who to allow and who not to?
As an American Police man said to me "Sir, when you have rules, you do not have to rely on common sense"
dougzz likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Some years ago a friend (EU national like the OP) had his passport stolen in the US the day he was meant to come back. He went to the airport in the US, announced he no passport had since passport and the airline contacted the UK Home office which within 30mins or authorised his entry and provided a reference number to show at immigration. I'd tend to think that BA did contact the Home Office; I understand this is a standard procedure in these cases. What I don't understand is why the Home Office would deny entry to a permanent resident.

Last edited by wobbly wings; Nov 26, 2018 at 11:02 am
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by fomc
Good morning everyone! Glad my story keeps you entertained
Let me just make a few things very clear.

1. I never said I KNOWINGLY exited the UK with an invalid ID. I ALWAYS travel with my passport, I know exactly when my passport expires. Because the passport was not with me at the time, I decided to take my EU ID....I Forgot to check the expiration date. Probably because in my mind I had this idea that my passport is 5 years away from expiring. Who knows, anyway my fault for not checking the validity. I only discovered the ID was invalid upon arrival in Hungary.
2. Didn't express myself clearly. What I meant to say by "too much pain to renew", is that my embassy wont give me a temporary passport without a birth certificate
3. I agree that I'm the main one responsible for this but maintain that BA has some fault for letting me board in the first place. Since they didn't bother to check the validity when I left, why can't they return the same "favour" for my return to the UK? The annoying part is also that my wife mentioned that when she boarded the plane, the guys at the gate were looking at IDs super quickly and wasn't looking like they were checking validity, just for the name to match the ticket. Classic!
in relation to 3. the simple answer is that they can't. The rules don't permit them. Just because they may have made a mistake in letting you travel on the way out, they are not going to compound the error by doing it again.

How have you decided to resolve the situation?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:22 am

If the OP confirms their nationality, it may be easier to work out if there was an error or not made on the outbound flight
eg timatic shows for a German passport holder resident in the UK destination Hungary
"Nationals of Germany are allowed to enter with an expired passport or expired national ID card. These documents are accepted when expired for a maximum of 1 year."
whereas if you do the journey in reverse - "Passports and other documents accepted for entry issued to nationals of Germany must be valid on arrival."
Andriyko and armouredant like this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:34 am

Looks like the OP is a busy chappy on Tripadvisor too

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...ir_Travel.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi....html#96427071

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.