Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA refuses boarding back to UK despite OK from Immigration Authorities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA refuses boarding back to UK despite OK from Immigration Authorities

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants

this is a very valid point
Wouldn't all airlines have this policy? Do you know if Ryanair or Easyjet allows you?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: QF WP
Not sure but doesn’t hurt to ask. Then you’re back home and can take it up with BA while not being beholden to them
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fomc
that's exactly my point. I have a lot of responsibility here for not checking it myself. BUT BA allowed me board in the first place. Again I hate myself for not checking more than anything believe me. But in situations like me where people are stranded with little or not options, BA should show its HUMANE side and allow me to travel. The point that frustrates me the most is that even the BA guy at the airport agreed with me that chances of being refused entry, given all I said, are minimal. So I know I will be let in, they are the ones to give the OK. And im pretty sure if someone from the head office would call these people in Budapest all would be well, but I only get to customer service people who cant do anything and don't have authority to deal with my issue. Maybe someone from BA sees this, contacts me and lets get me back home to my wife.
As soon as you have documents that permit travel, BA will permit travel

Alternatively , as suggested, if it is BA being awkward, rebook with another airline

Rather thanblaming BA for UK immigration policies, perhaps ask UK Embassy to show its humane side and give you documents that show that you will be permitted entry to UK with travel on expired documents

Originally Posted by fomc
Wouldn't all airlines have this policy? Do you know if Ryanair or Easyjet allows you?
Yes , they do , I am almost certain - It isn't BA being awkward, it is that you have no documentation for travel

Can you get to the country where your passport is from and perhaps address at your local immigration office

Originally Posted by callum9999
It irrefutably is BA's fault. The fact that it's also the OP's fault is irrelevant to that point. If BA fulfilled their obligations then he would not be in this mess - period.
A BA member of staff may have made an error in permitting travel, but it is not the agent's fault that the passenger had an out of date document - that is 100% the fault of the passenger
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
You're not Maltese or a Cyprian are you? British embassies can issue emergency passports to Commonwealth citizens. If not, they might also be able to issue you a travel document as a resident of the UK (I know Canada will issue emergency travel documents to PRs).
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by reclusive46
You're not Maltese or a Cyprian are you? British embassies can issue emergency passports to Commonwealth citizens.
Yes, but only in countries where the Commonwealth country has no representation. As the OP has been to their embassy in Hungary, I think we can assume that option won't work.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I once discovered when filling out an arrivals card on a flight that I accidentally brought an expired passport with me. United hadn't checked IDs at any point in the process, and I got my boarding pass on the mobile app using a stored, valid passport. Seemed like a major screw up on their part not to check anyone's travel documents, but anyway it was entirely my fault and all the blame falls on me. Needless to say, I am obsessive about checking to ensure I have all the right documents with me these days.

(Long story short, some strings were pulled and I was let into the destination country anyway, and got a temporary passport issued from my own embassy so I could return home. Actually this was the best outcome; had United turned me away, by the time I got my valid passport and took the next flight, which was the following day, the trip would have been in vain.)
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:28 pm

Good luck OP.

I feel your frustration, but I kinda feel you should have had your passport anyway,
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
A BA member of staff may have made an error in permitting travel, but it is not the agent's fault that the passenger had an out of date document - that is 100% the fault of the passenger
You're moving the goal posts. It's 100% the OPs fault for having an out of date document, yes.

It is however partially BA's fault that the OP is in Hungary without ID. If they did their job correctly, he would not be there. Period.

I can't remember if I've ever seen BA do this before, but on at least two occasions on the show "Airline", easyJet did the same thing. Their response is no doubt influenced by being on national TV at the time, but they immediately accepted responsibility and made arrangements to get the passengers back home on their expired passports.

Keep shouting about how it is the OPs fault all you like - I do not remotely care. It doesn't change the fact that it's also partially BAs fault, and BA is in the position to be able to help if they want to.

Last edited by callum9999; Nov 25, 2018 at 10:57 pm
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

[QUOTE=callum9999;30466418]You're moving the goal posts. It's 100% the OPs fault for having an out of date document, yes.

It is however partially BA's fault that the OP is in Hungary without ID. If they did their job correctly, he would not be there. Period.[/qupte]

In which case it is also the Hungarian immigration officer's fault - since he did not refuse entry to the country - if admission had been refused, he would have been sent back to where he had originated I believe

I can't remember if I've ever seen BA do this before, but on at least two occasions on the show "Airline", easyJet did the same thing. Their response is no doubt influenced by being on national TV at the time, but they immediately accepted responsibility and made arrangements to get the passengers back home on their expired passports.

Keep shouting about how it is the OPs fault all you like - I do not remotely care. It doesn't change the fact that it's also partially BAs fault, and BA is in the position to be able to help if they want to.
And , on any show where I have seen such a case, it is after the airline checked to see whether the country would allow admission that the person was allowed to travel

The OP has stated that the member of staff said that he had asked and that it was refused

The refusal does not seem to be a surprise when it is a non British Citizen wanting to travel to the UK on invalid documentation ; if he was a British Citizen and had arrived with expired documents, the respomse might well have been different
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
OP can keep blaming BA but in these instances, I find that you get more empathy and support if you're nice and not blame the party whom you require help from.

I mean, at the end of the day, BA could be completely wrong but they're not the one that's stuck in Budapest and frustrated. OP is. And if I were OP, I would not be blaming them now.
SK, LTN Phobia and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:52 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Have your wife get the passport back and courier it to you. Or, get the birth certificate issued by your country of birth, or consult them about what they can do to help with the ID. Have your wife courier your UK residence card.

I suspect the best course of action, if the OP really cannot get any of those above done is for the OP to obtain in writing an entry clearance from the British authority (which might possibly need to come from the UK). Getting a clearance to leave the country from the Hungarian authority does nothing in terms of ensuring that you would be able to show that you can legally enter the UK. You need a form of clearance from the UK side, and preferably a written authority (which a valid EU ID/passport can act as).

I strongly recommend the OP immediately stop blaming others for their part in the situation. The only thing it will do is to alienate them when you might need their help, and end up with a worse outcome. When people stop blaming others and accept full responsibility for themselves and apologise for causing others the inconvenience, people tend to be much more helpful in trying to come up with a solution for them.

Energy would be much better spent making arrangements to have the proper documentation and accepting the full responsibility for the situation than to try to threaten BA or to go to the media (going to the media may well simply cause embarrassment for the OP without anything productive to come of it).

It irrefutably is BA's fault. The fact that it's also the OP's fault is irrelevant to that point. If BA fulfilled their obligations then he would not be in this mess - period.
Documentation check, as I understand it, is essentially an obligation of an airline to itself, by virtue of the fact that it gets fined if they miss something being amiss and the immigration authority does not permit that person into the country and the airline gets fined, not an obligation towards the passenger to ensure that he/she has the correct documentation.

The only people/entity BA has failed here is themselves by putting themselves at risk of being fined, as they did not have the obligation towards the passenger in the first place.

The airline is not responsible for ensuring that the the passenger has the correct documentation for the passenger's sake. In fact, the Conditions of Carriage makes that clear.

In particular, 7a15), 13a1) https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ns-of-carriage

7a) Our right to refuse to carry you
7a15) If you have not, or do not appear to have, valid travel documents.

13a1) You (not us) must:

check the relevant entry requirements for any country you are visiting and
present to us all passports, visas, health certificates and other travel documents needed for your journey.
It could not be clearer.
SK, NYLON Boy, LostAntipod and 2 others like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Nov 26, 2018 at 12:18 am
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:53 pm

An unfortunate set of events, started by the schoolboy error of OP not having correct documents and compounded by other errors and unhelpfulness along the way.

Airlines face a fine (£2,000) for every passenger that arrives in UK without permission to land and BA will always give priority to anything that has a £ sign on it. The issue of the 'code' from UK immigration sounds like story telling really.

Not sure why Sky would be interested, a story about 'man denied travel for having expired documents' doesn't sound that interesting to me.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
There is an element of fault of BA’s original check-in/gate ID check and also at immigration in Hungary who also presumable allowed entry (had they refused you would be taken back to the UK and BA fined). This is human error no doubt looking at 100s of IDs a day which are less secure than a passport where it is computer automated.

This however doesn’t negate the OPs responsibility and, from what has been described, BA agents in Hungary have acted responsible.

Good luck to the OP and do let us know how you get on and we will happily provide further advice if we are able.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: LH M+M
Just assume (technically equal?) EU ID was lost/stolen. Everyone of you has a birth certificate while on travel? I dont even have one at home.. the embassy is a bit out of "help" here, too?
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: BA Gold
The advice to seek some sort of authority to travel from the British Embassy is incorrect and has been for a very long time. They will only direct you to the entry clearance section of the gov.uk website for advice.
The ability of UK border or airline liaison officials to take local pragmatic decisions on cases like this and allow the OP to travel has largely been taken away from them by ever more prescriptive rules and official guidance in the last few years.
‘If I was the OP I would get my passport back from whichever embassy it is at and have it couriered to him to allow travel back to the UK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.