FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA refuses boarding back to UK despite OK from Immigration Authorities (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1942368-ba-refuses-boarding-back-uk-despite-ok-immigration-authorities.html)

rlnnpt Nov 27, 2018 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by redrob (Post 30472491)
Just a quick technical point - the potential fine (Immigration Carriers Liability Act) is NOT dependent on whether or not you are allowed entry; it is a fine for allowing you to travel without the correct documentation (obviously unless prior authorisation is held).

In which case it sounds like BA is liable to pay this fine for the LHR-OTP leg?

UKtravelbear Nov 27, 2018 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by rlnnpt (Post 30473357)

Only if the Hungarians imposed one on them for carrying an inadvisable person to OTP. And as the OP was admitted then there is no basis for BA to be fined.

rlnnpt Nov 27, 2018 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 30473389)
Only if the Hungarians imposed one on them for carrying an inadvisable person to OTP. And as the OP was admitted then there is no basis for BA to be fined.

Agree it’s for the Hungarians to impose, but if redrobs post is correct then the fact they allowed OP admission is irrelevant?

toxman Nov 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Feel bad but only so much

Add me to the list of folks who feel bad for the OP but feel he is blaming everybody but himself. Sorry buddy but you flew with expired documents. In the end you have nobody to blame but yourself.

LTN Phobia Nov 27, 2018 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 30473389)

I think the Hungarian authority might be a bit reluctant to get involved in something that happened between the UK and Romania... :D

I assume it means BUD rather than OTP?

fatlasercat Nov 27, 2018 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 30474053)

Budapest or Bucharest, easy to confuse... Although the former managed to get a much better IATA code. I guess Burketown beat the Romanians for BUC.

LTN Phobia Nov 27, 2018 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by fatlasercat (Post 30474102)
Budapest or Bucharest, easy to confuse... Although the former managed to get a much better IATA code. I guess Burketown beat the Romanians for BUC.

Well, some years ago a BA agent at CDG did tag my bag to BUC when I was going to OTP. I spotted it and told her that my bag might just end up in Australia if she didn't change it for me to OTP. It took a bit of convincing. :D

UKtravelbear Nov 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia (Post 30474053)
I think the Hungarian authority might be a bit reluctant to get involved in something that happened between the UK and Romania... :D

Originally Posted by fatlasercat (Post 30474102)

well the OP wrote in post 1 that the BA staffer “calls Hungarian immigration office” so that’s what I wrote Hungarian in my post! And the person I was quoting said OTP.

I can’t help it if the OP has no idea where he is ;)

LTN Phobia Nov 27, 2018 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 30474153)

well the OP wrote in post 1 that the BA staffer “calls Hungarian immigration office” so that’s what I wrote Hungarian in my post! And the person I was quoting said OTP.

I can’t help it if the OP has no idea where he is ;)

On a serious note, it might well make some differences to practicality if the place in question is actually OTP rather than BUD, as OTP is outside Schengen.

Is it simply a matter of confusion somewhere up-thread, or is the OP actually in Bucharest, rather than Budapest?

midorosan Nov 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Totally agree no matter what the trip holiday or business, short haul or long haul so long as I have my passport and. credit cards I figure I can always get what I need when I arrive. I have a feeling that one day I might forget the luggage and put this theory to the test but I'm sure my better half will be looking over my shoulder.
As to this thread the OP seems to be unable to accept that BA did what they consider to be correct the fact that they took him there is completely irrelevant and he needs to forget that and concentrate on getting his act together and getting home, of course he could ask his wife to join him for a break he sounds as though he needs it

simons1 Nov 27, 2018 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by rlnnpt (Post 30473357)

What on earth are you talking about?

What fine - there wasn't one as OP was admitted to Hungary.

And if using codes at least use the right one.....

Andriyko Nov 28, 2018 12:12 am

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 30472542)
So if BA had contacted immigration who had agreed entry then there is no financial risk.

BA did, and no authorization was given. What else is there to discuss?

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 30472449)
There is no such list,

Except that there is such a list.
That the list promulgated by the UK government contravenes the EU law is not the airline's fault. Airlines do not accept passengers for travel based on the advice of an airlines forum.

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 30472449)
in fact not to accept the expired ID if the traveller can establish his credentials (which he did with a passport copy) would be contrary to EC directives.

Not to let someone into a country would be contrary to the Directives. Not to accept someone for travel because they are lacking a valid document required by the destination country would not. Let's not confuse what happens at the gate with what happens at the border. What a person can establish at the border (as to their identity) is very different with what a person can establish at the gate. These Directives are not for airlines to implement. No airline can disregard the requirements of national governments as to who should be carried to their borders. If you think these requirements are wrong, take it up with the governments rather than the airlines.

simons1 Nov 28, 2018 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko (Post 30474747)
Except that there is such a list.
That the list promulgated by the UK government contravenes the EU law is not the airline's fault. Airlines do not accept passengers for travel based on the advice of an airlines forum..

We are talking about the list moeve mentioned in post 160. The list of countries that do not accept expired EU ID cards on which Hungary is apparently shown. This one:

Originally Posted by moeve (Post 30471944)
Hungry is actually one EU country that is on the list of not accepting expired EU ID cards. Therefore BA flew a passenger to Hungry without the correct documents. The fact that Hungry apparently overlooked the issue as well doesn’t exonerate the airline either.

If you stopped banging your BA drum for 5 mins you might see that i) I am not referring to UK government and ii) I am agreeing with you that this is not a BA matter.

However since you know moeve's list exists then do share the link with us as it is relevant to OP's case: surely no-one would travel using an expired ID to a country appearing on a published list as not accepting expired IDs.

Andriyko Nov 28, 2018 1:45 am

Originally Posted by simons1 (Post 30474860)
If you stopped banging your BA drum for 5 mins

Not need to get personal. It does not advance the discussion. It is not about BA as the requirements are the same for all airlines.

If you open TIMATIC you will see the list of documents that airlines can accept for travel.

I can see though that you are continuing a discussion, that is completely unrelated to airlines, about which documents governments must accept and who they must allow into their countries. The UK government, for example, is very open about the fact that documents must be valid and makes no mention of expired documents at all.
https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control...ave-for-the-uk

simons1 Nov 28, 2018 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Andriyko (Post 30474895)
Not need to get personal. It does not advance the discussion. It is not about BA as the requirements are the same for all airlines.

If you open TIMATIC you will see the list of documents that airlines can accept for travel.

I can see though that you are continuing a discussion, that is completely unrelated to airlines, about which documents governments must accept and who they must allow into their countries. The UK government, for example, is very open about the fact that documents must be valid and makes no mention of expired documents at all.
https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control...ave-for-the-uk

I am not talking about TIMATIC, or the airlines, or the UK Government.

I am talking specifically about a list of countries which no longer accept expired EU ID cards which moeve referred to (with Hungary on it) and you confirm exists.

When the OP presented himself at the Hungarian border with his expired EU ID card I am quite sure the Hungarian official did not rely on TIMATIC, or an airline list, or some UK government guidance.

Until then I maintain there is no such list, evidenced by the fact that consistent with EC directives the OP was able to enter Hungary by corroborating his status via other means (emailed passport copy). That is entirely relevant to the OP as having landed himself in Hungary after a BA flight he was unable to return to UK on his BA return flight.

At no stage have I attributed reponsibility to BA although one assumes by allowing travel to Budapest they were satisfied the OP could be landed in Hungary with an expired ID card.