CE curtains and Customer Relations reply

Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Sealink

I'm very confused as your OP indicates the opposite.

But I cannot see any confused messages here.

The OP has told us that she / he wrote to Customer Relations - on a single occasion - to point out that on two recent sectors the curtain had not been closed during the flight ; and also requested clarification as to the relevant policy.

He then received a rather unprofessional reply. A reply which was factually inaccurate (quite possibly because it had been lazily cut & pasted from a response used at some previous point when responding to another customer) and served only to raise further questions.

CR, on the one hand, made a point of acknowledging the benefits provided by the curtain in creating some measure of distinction between the two cabins ; and yet in the very same sentence then added that it was not policy for CC to actually use it. One could therefore be forgiven for wondering what exactly is the purpose of the curtain.

The OP did not make a complaint to BA, but provided customer feedback whilst seeking clarification on a specific aspect of inflight operational policy.

Against this background, I find it somewhat bizarre to note the degree of critical focus and near-ridicule shown in several posts towards the OP, seemingly for having the temerity to attempt to address an issue of (in his / her eyes) legitimate concern ; and all in a far more coherent, rational manner than the wholly irrational, inaccurate, and essentially useless response offered by BA.

adrianlondon, T8191 and ringingup like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: BA Silver
Perhaps this can be solved by having economy with toilet tickets at the back of the plane and a second curtain preventing those economy no toilet passengers leaving the middle section?

Just starve your partner and children before the flight....lighten up kids I'll buy you a Big Mac when we get there!
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by subject2load

But I cannot see any confused messages here.

The OP has told us that she / he wrote to Customer Relations - on a single occasion - to point out that on two recent sectors the curtain had not been closed during the flight ; and also requested clarification as to the relevant policy.

He then received a rather unprofessional reply. A reply which was factually inaccurate (quite possibly because it had been lazily cut & pasted from a response used at some previous point when responding to another customer) and served only to raise further questions.

CR, on the one hand, made a point of acknowledging the benefits provided by the curtain in creating some measure of distinction between the two cabins ; and yet in the very same sentence then added that it was not policy for CC to actually use it. One could therefore be forgiven for wondering what exactly is the purpose of the curtain.

The OP did not make a complaint to BA, but provided customer feedback whilst seeking clarification on a specific aspect of inflight operational policy.

Against this background, I find it somewhat bizarre to note the degree of critical focus and near-ridicule shown in several posts towards the OP, seemingly for having the temerity to attempt to address an issue of (in his / her eyes) legitimate concern ; and all in a far more coherent, rational manner than the wholly irrational, inaccurate, and essentially useless response offered by BA.

You're right of course. I totally misread the fact that CR had referred to a phantom previous complaint.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Sealink
You're right of course. I totally misread the fact that CR had referred to a phantom previous complaint.
@ Sealink : appreciate you taking time to come back with honesty (not all FT-ers have the good grace to do so !)
Sealink and ringingup like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:23 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Maybe she was thinking to herself "People who don't want to be disturbed by passing crew, clanking crockery, BOB trolleys, dispatchers and waiting-for-bog loiterers really shouldn't put themselves in 1C."
You are a very naughty and cheeky boy! I'm actually surprised at her attitude, but may, for once, be right! Whichever way, you made me laugh out loud and now my husband is asking when he can expect his lunch (file under Y for You can expect all you like, Lover!)

Now, as a rather unyoung ( I hate old true that it may be) poster I have read all sorts of complaints here on FT. I have read all sorts of stories here on FT, and some are true and some are fiction. In Cyberspace who can tell. In this instance, I have no problem with credibility and frankly he is right. He (I'm assuming that he is a He and I apologise unreservedly if I got that wrong) and his case is sound. Indeed, I am surprised that the crew were not more proactive at getting this stopped, Whatever happens on AA is of no relevance here. CE is marketed as a Premium cabin and should be maintained as such. Those curtains are there for a reason - it is to create a separate cabin where different service take place (I suppose that you could describe the local knocking shop in such terms - and you certainly don't leave the curtains open there! ) It is meant to convey privacy. Seat 1C - from LGW can have no bulkhead and if there are people queuing for the lax, Privacy is far from achieved. Sorry, but all ET passengers should be sent to the back and wait there. What you cannot tell is how many passengers in the queue are from CE. I know that at one stage - and I cannot remember if it was the old BMI aircraft or not - had no curtains at one stage and the crew hated it. When there were no curtains allowed in the USA after the tragedy of 9/11 - the crews felt uncomfortable delivering meals to passengers in full view of Y who got (get) nothing.

I have read observations or comments for the last 20 years or so and this is as valid and any and more aposite than many IMO.
T8191 and ringingup like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Sorry, but all ET passengers should be sent to the back and wait there.
Unfortunately, with the BoB trolley blocking the aisle for almost the entire duration of most short-haul flights, expecting all ET passengers to use the toilets at the back is not really realistic any more.
adrianlondon, T8191 and Crofton138 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:12 am

. Sorry, but all ET passengers should be sent to the back and wait there.
Bit out of touch with the real world I'm afraid. On my ET back from Vienna last week the aisle was blocked for pretty much the whole journey with people buying BoB with pounds, euros, cards, avios etc, I'm surprised they didn't take green shield stamps.

So it's inevitable that people will head forward not back.....
Crofton138 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by simons1
Bit out of touch with the real world I'm afraid. On my ET back from Vienna last week the aisle was blocked for pretty much the whole journey with people buying BoB with pounds, euros, cards, avios etc, I'm surprised they didn't take green shield stamps.

Fake news, BA don't take cash and well you know it

However, more seriously I do agree with your point. It can be very difficult to go to the loo when needed and the trolley is in service and there's a large take up and as I get older I do need to go more often! On a few recent domestic flights I have noticed that the passengers were not stopped going through the curtain from ET into CE as they just couldn't get past the trolley.
ringingup likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:49 am

Sorry, but all ET passengers should be sent to the back and wait there. What you cannot tell is how many passengers in the queue are from CE. .....................

I have, more than once, seen ET pax force their way past any protesting zealous CC who are (understandably) doing their best to protect the ‘integrity’ of the CE cabin and its washroom. It’s not a pleasant scenario to witness, and ideally should not happen at all. But - for the very reasons given by simons1 and others - this is the unwelcome reality of life under BoB. And, ultimately, BA know that “I was refused access to toilet facilities” would not make for a great headline in terms of the airline’s public image.

PS : true .... no more Green Shield stamps (sadly) - but whenever I buy a BoB coffee, I do always make sure CC stamp my BoB Loyalty Card, which gives me one free coffee for every six bought.

Last edited by subject2load; Nov 27, 2018 at 5:55 am
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Personally it would annoy me too. The curtain does create the slightly more "intimate" environment you pay extra for in a business class seat. I don't have massive issue with some passengers coming to use the bathroom if they can't get to the back of the plane, but being completely frank, the business class tickets often subsidise the cheaper tickets for the economy passengers.

When I fly economy (and bear in mind this is most of the time), I use the bathrooms relevant. I don't see any issue with a curtain being drawn. Not having a curtain drawn would seem odd, to me.

I am surprised by the mockery of the OP here - if you fly business or first you should, rightly so, expect that extra service and comfort.
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
If the curtains cost UKP20,000 to install, and if "Cost reduction is part of our DNA" then shouldn't BA take OUT all of the curtains in their Euro fleet??
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
If the curtains cost UKP20,000 to install, and if "Cost reduction is part of our DNA" then shouldn't BA take OUT all of the curtains in their Euro fleet??
“Remove them, Mr Cruz? Let me see ... that will be 12,750 per curtain plus VAT, and of course the 950/month storage for each set of curtains and fittings until we can find a buyer. Sign here,please.”

Sadly, as several others have highlighted, the problem is the BoB trolley blocking the ET aisle. It was never like this to my recollection before BoB. But then a lot of the CE experience was somewhat nicer back then as well.
Ancient Observer likes this.

Last edited by T8191; Nov 27, 2018 at 6:51 am
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
There's an easy solution to the BoB trolley blocking the aisle in economy and that's the new M&S range of catheters and bags which like everything else on the trolley can be bought with a card or avios. However as with the rest of the BoB mess, supply is not guaranteed!
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
They could be flogged on eBay. Bound to be some types that want a BA curtain in their bedroom.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness

So the best way to reduce this issue is to start the BOB trolley service at the rear of the economy cabin

That way the number of people being stopped from accessing the economy bathroom by the trolley will decrease every time it moves, and everyone who has has purchased a drink on board will find the trolley blocks their access to the CE bathroom but not the economy bathroom

So the BOB trolley becomes the (moving) curtain and BA saves 20K per plane. How much can I charge BA for this advice?
adrianlondon and Knodde like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.