Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can someone please remind me what year this is?

Can someone please remind me what year this is?

Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
For some reason, I’m not nearly as bothered by someone writing my information on a piece of paper as I am by the lounge staff wanting to keep something of mine while in the shower.

I’m not so bothered if they want to keep my (easily replaceable) boarding card. I am much more bothered if they want to keep my passport (as I recall one lounge attendant wanted, although not at a BA lounge).
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:50 am
vga

Programs: yes
you are in the year 2018!!!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:36 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by subject2load
Well I can attest to the fact that Qantas don’t trouble themselves with such nonsense - at least not in their home lounges. Staff appear to know whether a shower room is available without the need for paper records etc ; and if so, simply direct you to it. If fresh towels have not been made available in the room already, reception personnel will hand them to you at the desk. And in BNE just recently, it was apparent that you could simply make use of the (immaculate) shower facilities without any prior requirement to present yourself to staff at all.
QF domestic lounge showers (certainly the SYD domestic J lounge) do not necessarily get cleaned between users and the towel packs are help-yourself stash, so it is hardly surprising that they don't take anyone's names down - most of the time there is no-one there to do it - not even cleaning staff attending to showers.

Immaculate? Unfortunately not at SYD domestic J lounge showers. Again, not surprising when they haven't been cleaned between users, though.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ LTN Phobia : perhaps I’ve been unusually fortunate timing-wise..... but either way our experiences clearly differ.

I have used (or at least taken a quick look at) shower facilities at all the key QF stations (PER, BNE, MEL, ADL, SYD) and have never been less than impressed with them.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
2018 ...
Originally Posted by vga
you are in the year 2018!!!
You're going to look so wrong in just a few weeks.
djbenedict likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by subject2load
@ LTN Phobia : perhaps I’ve been unusually fortunate timing-wise..... but either way our experiences clearly differ.

I have used (or at least taken a quick look at) shower facilities at all the key QF stations (PER, BNE, MEL, ADL, SYD) and have never been less than impressed with them.
I find their international ones are all good. Domestic ones, not necessarily so.

As QF Sydney domestic J lounge is my near-monthly transit point after an international flight at the moment and has been for the last 10 years or so, it's one of those things I'm not happy with. In fact I have skipped shower quite a few times during transit at SYD domestic J lounge after an international flight because the facilities did not look clean enough (it looked like it hadn't been cleaned at all that day), preferring to wait until I get to the destination. It's a bit unfortunate, really.

Another problem at QF SYD domestic J lounge is that you end up loitering waiting for availability nearby, because there is no managed waiting system for the shower.

The managed waiting system that BA use for the showers, and cleaning it after each use, is much more to my liking.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
On the same note, I am still baffled why airport gates still use dot matrix printers to print PAX lists. Is there a logical explanation?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Saint4805
On the same note, I am still baffled why airport gates still use dot matrix printers to print PAX lists. Is there a logical explanation?
they do the job so why pay for new ones?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:02 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Saint4805
I imagine because you then get a continuous list on a single length of paper, whereas laser printers rely on single sheets - one or more of which might easily get mislaid.

There are still many very practical uses for dot matrix printers.
sahajesh likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Ok some experiences with showers etc In the last couple of years-

AA ORD flagship lounge - details written down, BP retained and kept in exchange for the shower key.

AA JFK - flagship - just told to queue up!

AA SFO - manual system and BP retained.

VS LHR - same also manual system for Spa. Treatment.

sometimes when you have multiple facilities and multiple people wanting to use them a manual system works best as you can have a single list to call people off. Most It based systems want to assign a person to a room even though that means they wait longer because they have to wait for that user to finish their shower not just for the first vacant shower.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
Isn’t a hand written process in place in HKG in the CX lounges (certainly The Wing) and in the USA (AA in DFW)? So the old fashioned way is not unique to BA.

Doc Copper
Certainly no handwritten logs at CX Pier F - I used the showers there about 4 or 5 times in the last few weeks.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Schultzois
Well, if you're going to ask the question... I will say I prefer to think it's 1998 and I'm still a handsome 24 year old who has just done a RTW in business and hasn't even found flyertalk yet.
Well, with all the news recently about people choosing to change things about themselves by self-identifying as something other than what their biology would indicate, I see no problem with that. In fact, IIRC, there's someone in Australia who has chosen to self-identify knocking 20 years off his age; and he's in court trying to establish that fact.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Yes, because the list is printed on a single piece of very long paper. Laser printers work on individual sheets of paper.

Doc Copper
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Don’t forget that there are significant parts of the world’s population that live in for instance 1440, 107, 2561, 2145, 2075 and 5779.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi
Don’t forget that there are significant parts of the world’s population that live in for instance 1440, 107, 2561, 2145, 2075 and 5779.
A very valid point, IMHO. But more important, they all celebrate New Year at different times, giving us all a chance to have a glass of champagne, or three, for the New Year on numerous occasions throughout whatever year you like to adhere to

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.