Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Book my own way after BA delay... What happens now?

Old Nov 22, 18, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Matmid Gold, Hertz President's Circle

Had a business class return ticket yesterday on BA from JFK airport in New York to Tel Aviv via Heathrow.

We ended up leaving New York 1 hour late, and was advised upon arrival that we would not make the connecting flight to Tel Aviv, and we're giving vouchers for a hotel and a boarding pass for the next morning. (This morning)

Not wanting to spend the night and London arriving in Israel just before the Sabbath begins, I booked a coach ticket myself for an LY flight that was leaving about an hour later, and went straight to terminal 4 to make the flight, getting there as boarding started.

Had I spend time waiting for the transfer desk I would have missed that flight as well...

Now I'm back in Israel and I'm trying to figure out what kind of compensation I get, for the missed connection as well as my delayed luggage, or whatever else I might / might not be eligible for based on the circumstances.

Thank you very much for all your help!

I should also add that I tweeted to British airways to let them know so that I don't end up listed as a no-show for this morning's flight.

They indicated that I deserve credit for the unflown segment, but I'm not sure how that works, how much that might be, and what else I might be entitled to.

the Wi-Fi on the previous flight did not work properly otherwise I would have tried to arrange something by a Twitter during my flight knowing I would be getting there late enough to possibly miss my connection.

(in any case I don't think that British airways particularly would want to put me on an El Al flight... Even if I'm a gold member with them...)​

If it makes a difference my flight with elal was in coach

Last edited by tapuach; Nov 24, 18 at 1:21 pm
Old Nov 23, 18, 12:40 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Hi, were you on a return ticket (ie back to JFK with another two sectors yet to fly?), if so your first concern is ensuring those sectors are not auto-cancelled.

Depending on the reason for the delay you would be due EU261 compensation of E600.
Old Nov 23, 18, 12:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by tapuach View Post
Had a business class return ticket yesterday on BA from JFK airport in New York to Tel Aviv via Heathrow.

We ended up leaving New York 1 hour late, and was advised upon arrival that we would not make the connecting flight to Tel Aviv, and we're giving vouchers for a hotel and a boarding pass for the next morning. (This morning)

Not wanting to spend the night and London arriving in Israel just before the Sabbath begins, I booked a coach ticket myself for an LY flight that was leaving about an hour later, and went straight to terminal 4 to make the flight, getting there by final boarding.

Had I spend time waiting for the transfer desk I would have missed that flight as well...

Now I'm back in Israel and I'm trying to figure out what kind of compensation I get, for the missed connection as well as my delayed luggage, or whatever else I might / might not be eligible for based on the circumstances.

Thank you very much for all your help!

I should also add that I tweeted to British airways to let them know so that I don't end up listed as a no-show for this morning's flight.

They indicated that I deserve credit for the unflown segment, but I'm not sure how that works, how much that might be, and what else I might be entitled to.

the Wi-Fi on the previous flight did not work properly otherwise I would have tried to arrange something by a Twitter during my flight knowing I would be getting there late enough to possibly miss my connection.

(in any case I don't think that British airways particularly would want to put me on an El Al flight... Even if I'm a gold member with them...)​

If it makes a difference my flight with elal was in coach
If you were only one hour late into London and then effectively refused their solution of a free hotel and new flight Iím afraid not a lot. That is their duty of care obligation and they booked you on another flight. So I may be wrong but most likely none whatsoever?
wrp96, anniegray and glennhaak like this.
Old Nov 23, 18, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences View Post
Hi, were you on a return ticket (ie back to JFK with another two sectors yet to fly?), if so your first concern is ensuring those sectors are not auto-cancelled.

Depending on the reason for the delay you would be due EU261 compensation of E600.
Surely That would depend on how long the OP was actually delayed for on the arrival in Israel.

OP Iíd also be on the phone to BA to double check that they have protected yiur return flights from Tel Aviv to LHR and JFK.

Old Nov 23, 18, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post

Surely That would depend on how long the OP was actually delayed for on the arrival in Israel.

OP Iíd also be on the phone to BA to double check that they have protected yiur return flights from Tel Aviv to LHR and JFK.

Of course. According to the OP the delay was an overnight one, so that is at least 4 hours...so depending on the reason for the delay, EU261 could be due...
Old Nov 23, 18, 1:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The OP may want to look at the main EC261 thread for the various details on this.

If the delay was over 3 hours then the OP is potentially entitled to EC261 Article 7 of up to 600€, unless it was extraordinary circumstances, and we don't have enough detail here on that one.

If the delay was over 5 hours then the OP is entitled to re-routing (as was done) or a partial refund or - and this may be significant - re-routing to a later date. So it may be more sensible to rebook the remaining segments to another travel date if that fits in with the OP's plans, and depending on the cost of TLV-USA for immediate travel. The OP also, incidentally, had the right to a full refund and return to the USA if the purpose of the visit was voided by the delay. The part refund may not be very generous. However all the options here are the customer's choice.

Both the Article 7 and re-routing (etc) can go together, it's not either / or.

But yes, ensure your return is "protected" and I would have thought Twitter can handle this. Shabbat shalom.
Old Nov 23, 18, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He said he got a (self arranged and paid for) flight the same night on El Al.

OP would need to confirm the difference between the original BA scheduled arrival and his actual arrival time on ElAl to see if EU261 applies.

akso it’s possible (and I’m not an expert) that as Israel is involved their equivalent of EU261 may kick in and that could be better option for the OP to claim against but he would need to investigate that further.

the urgent need is to ensure his return has been protected and his luggage

Old Nov 23, 18, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Matmid Gold, Hertz President's Circle
He said he got a (self arranged and paid for) flight the same night on El Al.

OP would need to confirm the difference between the original BA scheduled arrival and his actual arrival time on ElAl to see if EU261 applies.

akso itís possible (and Iím not an expert) that as Israel is involved their equivalent of EU261 may kick in and that could be better option for the OP to claim against but he would need to investigate that further.

the urgent need is to ensure his return has been protected and his luggage

Thank you so much!

​​​​This was the return trip with the final destination being TLV
:-) I would also love to get involuntary routing credits
Old Nov 23, 18, 9:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

I don't think it matters when tapuach actually arrived to TLV. The OP abandoned their trip and booked a separate flight on El Al, so the only delay that counts is the delay into London (if it was BA178 then it is just under an hour late). Had BA actually re-booked the OP onto LY (I assume it was LY 318 that the OP flew on?) then the delay would still have been only an hour. I am afraid there is no compensation, and what I'd be worrying about is protecting the return trip.
cbagent likes this.
Old Nov 23, 18, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Does the OP need to be on the rebooked option from BA to the final ticketed destination to be eligible for the delay compensation? Once you self rebook presumably you have abandoned the ticket rather than being delayed to the final ticketed destination?

If you abandon the journey at the last connection point and do not take the last flight due to earlier delays I didnít think you would get any delay compensation as you didnít arrive at the ticketed destination?
cbagent likes this.
Old Nov 23, 18, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
I don't think it matters when tapuach actually arrived to TLV. The OP abandoned their trip and booked a separate flight on El Al, so the only delay that counts is the delay into London (if it was BA178 then it is just under an hour late). Had BA actually re-booked the OP onto LY (I assume it was LY 318 that the OP flew on?) then the delay would still have been only an hour. I am afraid there is no compensation, and what I'd be worrying about is protecting the return trip.
OP has confirmed this was his return leg home so no protection needed which has clarified one aspect.

just his luggage now which I imagine is somewhere in LHR. Not sure what BAs obligation is to get it to him though. maybe just to Tel Aviv airport rather than his home address given that technically he abandoned it.

Old Nov 23, 18, 9:43 am

OP has confirmed this was his return leg home so no protection needed which has clarified one aspect.

Thank you for pointing that out - I somehow missed that important piece of information.

just his luggage now which I imagine is somewhere in LHR. Not sure what BAs obligation is to get it to him though. maybe just to Tel Aviv airport rather than his home address given that technically he abandoned it.

I am not sure what happens now with the luggage. technically the OP abandoned the trip so BA may very well invite them to pick up the bags at LHR. I hope that BA will at least send the luggage to the TLV but I am not sure how one files a PIR in a situation like this.
Old Nov 23, 18, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
The last time I was cancelled due to snow and made my own way... BA was not at all forthcoming with paying my hotel costs, much less compensation. (which I wasn't expecting FWIW)

I'm not sure why you are all so confident that EU compensation applies due to a passenger choosing an alternative to BA's duty of care.
Old Nov 23, 18, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post

I'm not sure why you are all so confident that EU compensation applies due to a passenger choosing an alternative to BA's duty of care.
We're not all confident - the EU Reg does not apply here as it can't apply to a flight that someone never took.
Old Nov 23, 18, 10:20 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Andriyko View Post
We're not all confident - the EU Reg does not apply here as it can't apply to a flight that someone never took.
Have to disagree, even if it's not clear cut. If your flight is cancelled, you get compensation even if you refuse the rerouting offered and take a refund.

That's more than a parallel reference given that delay compensation doesn't actually come from the Delay section of EU261 - in fact it has been established that long delays should be compensated as if they are cancellations. I don't have the exact wording of that legal linkage, but it certainly points me to my conclusion.

The remedies of EU261 for delay also kick in "When an operating air carrier reasonably expects a flight to be delayed beyond its scheduled time of departure", not on arrival.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: