Suggestions for an Italian road trip

Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Sixt Gold
If you are into wine and food, an option can be PSA. The flight from LHR works very well and you are just one hour away from the Chianti area. Jan is perfect as there are zero tourists and you have better chances to spend some quality time with the producers (booking in advance, of course).

Near PSA you also have the sea and many cities of art, should you fancy that.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Yeah , but a lot of roads have the compulsory carry Snow Chain signs on them ( even quite major ones - pretty sure including some Autostrade - as well as quite far south .. I've seen them in Sicily in not particularly mountainous areas ) and the restriction is quite lengthy in many cases running until late April ? ... My understanding is that if you were stopped ( admittedly fairly unlikely ) you'd be in trouble if you didn't have snow chains in the car regardless of the actual weather
As far as I'm aware, it's either winter tyres (fitted, needless to say) or snow chains on board. The rule (where relevant and, as you rightly stated, roads all over Italy and indeed all the way down to Sicily may be affected) applies from November 15th to April 15th and the risk of getting pulled over (especially at the exit of major motorways or on those where it is most likely to snow) is fairly likely (personal experience last year, twice in a month, as myself & the Mrs were driving to Abruzzo from Rome down the A25, the first thing they checked, without even asking for documents, were the winter tyres).

G
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Yeah it seems that it's winter tires or snow chains required ... here's the list of all the roads involved - http://www.poliziadistato.it/statics...-invernali.pdf as you can see it's very very long and goes all the way down to Sicily ... in Sicily some sections of the Palermo-Catania motorway are included for example from now until mid March .. No idea what the obligation of car hire companies in this regard is , whether they have to provide at least chains or can sell them as an accessory
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:47 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Lovely area frandrake but bear in mind that zero tourists also equals not many places open. Alot of restaurant and bar owners in Italy in the tourist areas have November, December and January off. I'm in Liguria at the moment and so much is closed at the moment in the main areas of attraction.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by HoneymoonFlyer
Florence is wonderful but felt like a relative dump compared to the other amazing places mentioned above.

Well, having grown up in the areas outside of it, yes, of course we all firmly believe it to be a dump, but to be fair if you can check yourself into the Four Seasons or St Regis, it won't feel like too much of a dump

You can't go wrong, to be honest, just picking a few classic cities. Just really do consider what you will use your car for. In most cities it's by now a pretty useless tool. If most of your stays will be in towns on top of a hill, somewhere like Vinci (as in "Leonardo da") from where you intend to drive around the countryside and to/from the cities, then fine, but beware that winter is not a great time to visit places like this in the North, it's luck of the draw but quaint old country properties can be a pain to heat and very cold to be in - friends have tried this and have not been too happy. If this is what you are after, I would seriously consider sticking to Napoli or south of there. I personally like the whole Napoli to Amalfi thing, Sicily is good too, Puglia is the new trendy spot, so lots to choose from.

With northern cities I would pick Venice for the carnevale season, although this year Easter's quite late so I don't think it will be in full swing until mid-Feb. It can be a bit messy in winter and if you get unlucky the city will flood and you'll be SOL; from there along the coast, Ferrara/Ravenna, then cut across to Bologna and into Tuscany. Turin is an excellent alternative, in which case I would then run the via Emilia, Piacenza, Parma, Reggio Modena and Bologna, then down to Tuscany. You can then make up your own mind about food capitals: for me, even as a Tuscan, not to mention lover of truffles and Gattinara, the area between Parma and Modena still wins out. Die trying
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Yeah , but a lot of roads have the compulsory carry Snow Chain signs on them ( even quite major ones - pretty sure including some Autostrade - as well as quite far south .. I've seen them in Sicily in not particularly mountainous areas ) and the restriction is quite lengthy in many cases running until late April ? ... My understanding is that if you were stopped ( admittedly fairly unlikely ) you'd be in trouble if you didn't have snow chains in the car regardless of the actual weather
As you've already been posted its either winter tyres fitted or chains on board for the vast majority, but there are some roads that will be signposted as needing snow chains fitted. To be fair it will only be roads you probably couldn't get up otherwise and if you don't have them you just drive somewhere else.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: ITA
Originally Posted by CharlotteC

Also remember that Liguria can have floods and landslides in winter too, train in Italy between the main sites is always a good option
It normally happens in autumn (mid October - beginning November), not in the end of January.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:43 am

If you are into wine tasting and food, the best options would be Piedmont or Tuscany.
If Tuscany, check out Bolgheri, but not for Sassicaia, but for small producers. Go and have a dinner at Osteria Magona which is Dario Cecchini meat restaurant (be sure to book it in advance). Then go down to Greve in Chianti, book Castello Volpaia for both wine tasting and overnight (their Chianti was considered in top 5 red wines this year), take a look at Antica Macelleria Falorni in the main square (paradise for Italian salumi lovers). Castello di Cacchiano is another awesome local wines producer and is the brother of Barone Ricasoli whose wine costs 10 times more and is not so good as Cacchiano. Then go down to Pienza (for pecorino) and Montalcino for some of the best Brunellos like Casanova del Neri or Poggio di Sotto (pricy, but not as much as Biondi Santi o Soldera).
If Piedmont, apart from Barolo and Barbaresco, check out Ettore Germano for the best Italic Riesling and Borgo Maragliano for Loazzolo DOC. Small places like Cherasco for chocolate and Roccaverano for goat cheese.
CharlotteC, MSPeconomist and Lefly like this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold
In January the weather is a bit of a lottery in Northern Italy. If you find crisp, clear (and cold) sunny day the light is amazing, the alternative is rain, snow, and fog. One 'road less travelled' but beautiful for cities could be the following:

Open Jaw - Fly to Bologna, spend a couple of days there without renting a car until the day you decide to visit one of the car factories (Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini) or the Ducati museum, then drive to Mantua for the Gonzaga palace, on your way to Parma visit Sabbioneta where you can find the second oldest covered theatre in Italy. Sabbioneta still has a walled old city, most definitely not a tourist trap but worth the detour. Parma could be worth an overnight (good food) a stroll around the old centre and a visit (Palazzo della Pilotta, Biblioteca Palatina). You can end up in Turin via the Monferrato area. Asti, Casale, and other small town. It is a landscape that is similar to Tuscany without reminding you of Tuscany. Good food (especially if you like 'tartufo' truffle). Turin was the first capital of Italy and it is worth a couple of days. Fly out of Turin.

Or

Again, another Open Jaw
Fly to Catania, visit the greek ruins of Syracuse and the Baroque towns of Noto, Pachino and Ragusa, then either drive north to Taormina or west to Agrigento (greek temples), if you choose the agrigento route you might as well visit the temples at Selinunte on your way to Palermo, then drop the car at the airport and keep a few days for Palermo. Fly out of Palermo

I am not sure that Puglia is a great idea for January
Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by HoneymoonFlyer
I did exactly this last year and it was amazing.

LCY - FLR definitely easiest and gets you into the thick of the Tuscany action quickly without messing about in Pisa as you would if flying from LHR or LGW.

Our route was something like this:
drive down to Siena, stay in an agriturismo near the city for 2 nights.
drive down to Montepulciano area, 2 nights in another agritusmo round there
drive up to Greve in Chianti area, stay on a vineyard for 1-2 nights
drive into central Florence, return the car and walk to hotel. Stay 1-2 nights. Florence is wonderful but felt like a relative dump compared to the other amazing places mentioned above.

Thoroughly recommend the trip, very easy and amazing scenery. And the food and wine...
Florence a relative dump - do you have no soul! Walking by the Arno from the piazza just outside the Ognissanti through to Piazza Demidoff... ok it’s full of people but it’s beautiful.... Siena is always worth a visit and the Campo is stunning. There’s a smashing place called Borgo Grondaie which is an agriturismo and you can walk into Siena easily
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Thank you for all the replies to this thread. I have to be honest in saying that I had forgotten about the snow in Italy in January, maybe it would be best (as suggested) to head to Catania where I am hoping snow is not a likely occurrence!

Some of the suggestions for Tuscany etc sound fantastic so will look at doing that maybe in the Summer or later in the year.

I am fine driving a LHD car, and have done so in France (mainly Paris) and USA a number of times, so am not particularly worried about that, but thanks for the concern!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:54 pm

If you go to Catania make sure to visit Ragusa, Noto, Modica, Chiaramonte Gulfi.
There are some great winemakers and excellent local olive oil for great prices.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
A small update, we ended up booking a three day (2 night) stay in Milan before starting an ex-EU trip to the Middle East (for a bit of warmth!)

Decided to drive up to Lake Como for a day and booked the Avis car through BA, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw in the Ts&Cs of the booking that:

"For most Italian provinces, there is a requirement to fit winter tyres OR have a set of snow chains on board specifically for the type of vehicle hired during the period 15 Nov – 15 Apr. We recommend you check with the location when you collect your car whether your travel itinerary covers one or more stretches of road where this requirement is in force.

Snow chains are included during this period in the price for all car groups excluding N at Milan, Turin and Venice airports and do not need to be requested. Winter tyres can only be added to group N and if needed but must be requested via the Car Rental Details page, once you have selected your car type, and charges are payable locally, direct at the depot."

Meaning that I don't need to worry about the snow chains and if they try to charge me for more at the airport, it is there in the Ts&Cs, and the price through BA was 30% lower than if booked directly with Avis (Ł24 giving 500 Avios + 250 Avios for using BA Amex + 24 Avios for the rental).
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
An excellent idea. The lakes are lovely, far more interesting than Milan. My personal favourite is Lake Iseo, including taking the ferry over to Monte Isola in the middle of the lake and walking around. Many nice little hotels by the side of the lakes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.