Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for an Italian road trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Remember to make sure your rental includes Snow Chains - they are compulsory in many parts of Italy for much of the winter ( even in the South )

I would echo many of the above comments .. January is not a great time for a road trip ... stick with the cities
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
Never tried the "Festival delle Sagre" in Asti? That's the top about food
Not [yet] but thanks for the tip, we have friends in Asti so we'll definitely touch-base

G
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Not [yet] but thanks for the tip, we have friends in Asti so we'll definitely touch-base

G
2nd Saturday + Sunday of September. If everything goes right I will finally go back to try it next year, after a too long absence. End of OT
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
2nd Saturday + Sunday of September. If everything goes right I will finally go back to try it next year, after a too long absence
Gone for this year then, what a shame (I had already sent a text to my friend/work colleague from Asti asking to shed a light on this but nevermind ), we'll try to make it next year however, in the meantime, I shall open a bottle of Barbera at the weekend [/OT]

G
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
January has snow issues for driving, but it would be a truly special experience to see Venice in snow, which IIRC doesn't happen every year.

Many car rental companies offer cheaper weekly rates so you get something like 7 days for the price of 5. It would be good to coordinate with this and only do the car hire for seven days, which means staying in a city at the start or end of your trip.

Venice is a prime candidate as you don't want a car there, but you probably don't want a car either in major cities such as Rome, Florence,.....My advice would be to fly to Venice, spend a few days, then pick up the rental car and focus on somewhat smaller cities but avoid the mountains. Bologna is an amazing historic site while Modena has amazing food. Verona is also very worthwhile, although you could also focus on smaller towns and country hotels such as the Italian members of R&C. Alternatively, from Venice you could go south along the coast and see the mosaics plus San Remo--I'm not sauté this is worth more than a day or two, plus in low season you don't need to escape from the crowds--or northeast into prosciutto country (where you'll also find modest restaurants specializing in steak on a wood grill and local wine which might be Cabernet franc). Be careful about taking a rental car over the border, for example into Croatia, as your insurance is unlikely to work here, plus you would need an international driving liscence.

Alternatively you could focus on Tuscany, visiting a subset of Florence, Pisa, Lucca, Sienna, San G, etc.

Yet another strategy is to go south but avoid Sicily, so that you would fly into and out of Naples (it could lower rental car prices if you return it to the same location) and do the Amalfi Coast plus Naples (and the volcano) in very low season, including perhaps Capri or Ischia, but check what's open at this time.

IMO even central Naples is a bit scary and I'm not sure I would want to attempt Sicily without knowing what I'm doing......

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 22, 2018 at 4:31 am
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by annaschummi
You can fly GOA from LGW on BA as well. Having Genoa as a base for the trip you can go to Langhe with a 2 hours drive (not a great impact in winter, but food and wine are always good). You can go to Cinque Terre (but I would suggest train in this case, or you go to Levanto by car, park it there and them use train between the Terrre). Portofino is off limits as for now. Again, you can take a car and drive to Pisa, Lucca or Florence. You can drive to Sanremo and this coast is awesome.
Pros: it may snow here in Genoa, but it happens once in a winter time. The climate is mild and it is not so cold as in other parts of Italy. It is really a 2 hours drive to other sightseeing places.
Contros: do not consider bridge collapse as a contro. If you drive away in early moring you won't sufer heavy traffic.
Consider that Appenine area (Bologna, Florence) can we affected by heavy snow in winter.
Also remember that Liguria can have floods and landslides in winter too, train in Italy between the main sites is always a good option
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Another vote for Sicily here and flying in and out of Catania. More TP for CE too. Amazing fish/food market. Head south to Siracusa/Ortigia for more great food at Fratelli Burgio.

Eating a cannoli right now and pining to go back to Sicily!
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
....and remember that in Italy, one is supposed to drive on the right side of the road. If you've never driven in continental Europe or the USA, please don't attempt too much too quickly as many of one's instincts become counterproductive. It's even harder when you're trying to navigate in a foreign language unless you're accustomed to the standardized European road signs and the way of following a route by going to the next city in the sequence along the way (versus following a road number or signs toward the really big city which is your destination).
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Guys relax with the snow, it really doesn't snow that much, and the main roads are clear unless there is a blizzard! Check the weather forecasts! Just keep some chains or snow socks in the boot, you probably won't need them, but it is always good to have. Unless you are driving up to a ski resort that is above 1700 meters of course!

I'm probably driving from London to Greece via Chamonix and north Italy, and the only thing I plan on doing is buying some snowsocks just in case!
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:42 am

I did exactly this last year and it was amazing.

LCY - FLR definitely easiest and gets you into the thick of the Tuscany action quickly without messing about in Pisa as you would if flying from LHR or LGW.

Our route was something like this:
drive down to Siena, stay in an agriturismo near the city for 2 nights.
drive down to Montepulciano area, 2 nights in another agritusmo round there
drive up to Greve in Chianti area, stay on a vineyard for 1-2 nights
drive into central Florence, return the car and walk to hotel. Stay 1-2 nights. Florence is wonderful but felt like a relative dump compared to the other amazing places mentioned above.

Thoroughly recommend the trip, very easy and amazing scenery. And the food and wine...
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Remember to make sure your rental includes Snow Chains - they are compulsory in many parts of Italy for much of the winter ( even in the South )

I would echo many of the above comments .. January is not a great time for a road trip ... stick with the cities
Not quite. Winter tyres are compulsory, you only need the chains for roads that are signposted as such. In the North of Italy hire car companies swap to winter tyres from around now.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you can drive in London, Sicily will hold no terrors for you.

Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:40 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Try and fit Genoa in if you can. Very, very underrated city IMHO and has an amazing old town area that is one of the largest in Europe. BA flies to GOA from LGW although is not daily during the winter season
pauldb likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:49 am

Not sure what the climate would be like in January, but a few years ago, I drove (late spring) from Napoli to Monopoli with several interesting stops along the way. Since that trip, I've tended to stay away from popular areas throughout the world. Traveling east, it was a good challenge for me as English was less widely spoken. I had great food and scenic routes. I'd also note that the costs were far lower than those in Napoli and the Amalfi Coast!
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by 1010101
Not quite. Winter tyres are compulsory, you only need the chains for roads that are signposted as such. In the North of Italy hire car companies swap to winter tyres from around now.
Yeah , but a lot of roads have the compulsory carry Snow Chain signs on them ( even quite major ones - pretty sure including some Autostrade - as well as quite far south .. I've seen them in Sicily in not particularly mountainous areas ) and the restriction is quite lengthy in many cases running until late April ? ... My understanding is that if you were stopped ( admittedly fairly unlikely ) you'd be in trouble if you didn't have snow chains in the car regardless of the actual weather

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.