Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time upstairs on a 747

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Can someone from downstairs visit a pal upstairs on a BA 747 assuming same class etc...?
Yes

Originally Posted by xPositor
In my relatively long travelling career, I've never been upstairs on a Jumbo before. Saturday on BA75 I've got 63J, followed by on Thursday's BA74 62K. Any top tips from the FT community for being upstairs? Even better, outbound tips me over in to Gold - shame that there is no FLounge at LOS to 'enjoy' on the return!
its a more private cabin feel subject dykwia types. 2 crew to 20 . You will enjoy. IMO these ‘birds’ are showing their age so don’t expect bells and whistles. Safe trip T
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Geordie405
Having flown upstairs many times I still remember my first experience, and that was an OpUp too. Flying back from LAX to LHR in 2005 and getting the "beep" at the gate and then having panic set in as I saw that the display said "Not Checked In" before being told that I had been upgraded. I do remember being quite in awe actually, as I hadn't done much flying at all, never mind long haul (my only other long haul trip had been to Chicago a few years prior), and the step up from WT+ to Club was - to my mind at least - significant, along with being upstairs on the 747. Having had a busy week working in LA most of the flight was spent asleep! Now, thirteen years later, I still relish flights upstairs on the 747. It's a unique experience in my view.
My first upstairs 747 experience was on Pan Am to South America in the late '70s. The first class seats were all downstairs. Upstairs was for dining. They had tables for two, four, and I think six. It was quite elegant, and made for a delightful social experience. By the end of the flight we were all friends.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks for the comments all! With outbound being a daytime flight I will most definitely ensure that I have downloaded sufficient viewing on to my tablet, not usually that impressed with the selection on BA anyway (not enough box sets IME - so time to gorge on House of Cards).
Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
I landed this morning from my second time upstairs in the 747.
having had my first one on the outbound flight last week.
Out i was in 64K and back i was in 62K.

64K would be my preference if traveling alone. but from the looks of it, you cant go to wrong with anything upstairs.
plus the staff were amazing.

I also did my first ever flight in a dash 8 this week, which was a totally different experience, but very fun.
Now i just need an excuse to do the twin otter.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
Can someone from downstairs visit a pal upstairs on a BA 747 assuming same class etc...?
There's nowhere to "hang out" on the upper deck. If you ask the crew downstairs between the meal services if you can have a look upstairs, it's probably best for everyone if you go and have a look (most crew would be ok with this), the head back downstairs with you pal for a drink by the Club Kitchen.

Originally Posted by holloway1000
I landed this morning from my second time upstairs in the 747.
having had my first one on the outbound flight last week.
Out i was in 64K and back i was in 62K.
64K would be my preference if traveling alone. but from the looks of it, you cant go to wrong with anything upstairs.
I would only say to avoid row 60 (the worst of a good bunch) as that row is nosiest (aircraft noise...not sure from where, but it's the least quiet row), plus there is a small light on all night outside the cockpit door, so there's a bit more light pollution there. Plus you're last to get served (service starts from the back of the upper deck) and last to get off.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by shefgab
I would only say to avoid row 60 (the worst of a good bunch) as that row is nosiest (aircraft noise...not sure from where, but it's the least quiet row), plus there is a small light on all night outside the cockpit door, so there's a bit more light pollution there. Plus you're last to get served (service starts from the back of the upper deck) and last to get off.
Fair comments, but the window seats aren't so affected however. I would still take the aisle 60 seats above any aisle downstairs, and even above most window seats downstairs too.
shefgab likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: BA
I took the upper deck (63 outbound, 60 inbound) for a trip to LAS in March. Couldn't really see what the fuss was about, although perhaps that was the clientelle. Preferred A380.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
So mighty FT gurus - I have a return booked on the 747 to JFK with my other half. We have 64 J/K each way, but 62 J/K currently open too - any call on which is better - daytime out, overnight back!
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jimlad48
So mighty FT gurus - I have a return booked on the 747 to JFK with my other half. We have 64 J/K each way, but 62 J/K currently open too - any call on which is better - daytime out, overnight back!
You know that wars have been started over less contentious questions?

Personally, I'm fonder of 62JK if travelling as a couple.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:14 am

I remember years ago when I would book my ticket on the phone...I had my first opportunity to upgrade to club. The ticket agent asked me if I would like a seat on the upper deck. I asked her what it was like up there and her response was “ there is a glass ceiling and you can see the stars.” 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Globaliser
You know that wars have been started over less contentious questions?

Personally, I'm fonder of 62JK if travelling as a couple.
War of roses have started over who gets J and who gets K.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by holloway1000
Now i just need an excuse to do the twin otter.
The trip from Victoria inner harbour to Vancouver BC (YWH-CXH) is the best place to do that for scenery. I believe that Harbour Air is now the largest operator of twin otters.
T8191 and holloway1000 like this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for life
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Fair comments, but the window seats aren't so affected however. I would still take the aisle 60 seats above any aisle downstairs, and even above most window seats downstairs too.
Interested in this comment, if we are talking about overnight flights why would you prefer an aisle which is more likely to be disturbed by the meal/drink service over a window downstairs where you are less likely to be disturbed? I go the other way but given your amount of travel feel I may be getting this wrong! On a daytime flight I am upper deck always.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Think I've only been on the upper deck twice and both were enjoyable experiences. However, it's always the lower deck flight to YVR that sticks out in my mind as being the best CW flight I've had. I think that was because the cabin was half empty.
As for our upper deck Lufty experience....it wasn't that memorable.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:20 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by womble88
Interested in this comment, if we are talking about overnight flights why would you prefer an aisle which is more likely to be disturbed by the meal/drink service over a window downstairs where you are less likely to be disturbed? I go the other way but given your amount of travel feel I may be getting this wrong! On a daytime flight I am upper deck always.
Downstairs the aisles in CW lead somewhere, even to WTP on Mid-J. Whereas the amount of foot traffic on UD at night is very little, and even less at the row 60 end given that most WC traffic is to the one nearer the stairs. The meal and drink service on overnights is kept quick under the new CW service routine, and with 2 crew in UD it is done even more quickly than main deck. UD tends to have regular flyers who aren't trying to party all the way over. Finally UD is often cooler than main deck, which doesn't make logical sense, I think due to the middle exit doors, but also I suspect the flight deck keep their A/C on the low side.
womble88 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.