Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight in LGW - luggage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Question Overnight in LGW - luggage

Flying GLA - LGW - TFS with on overnight stay in LGW.

Will checked luggage:

1. Must be checked GLA to TFS and not collectable in LGW
2. Must be collected in LGW
3. My choice to check through or collect
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GLAFlyer
1. Must be checked GLA to TFS and not collectable in LGW
2. Must be collected in LGW
3. My choice to check through or collect
It should be (3) - your choice - due to the overnight aspect, unless the turnaround time between flights is over 24 hours then it would be (2). The default if you said nothing is that it would be through checked to Tenerife.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Silver
On a recent overnight stop from JER to GND (1005 departure following day) via LGW we were given the option of checking some in straight through and collecting some at LGW which was useful for the overnight stay.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
I do this all the time with my ski gear. You will have the option. However, one time my kit appeared on the LGW conveyor and I only noticed while talking to someone I know. So now I never take the chance.

I normally get the afternoon flight to LGW and collect my kit so I know that it has at least got to LGW. Then about 6pm (I think) you can recheck to the final destination. So if it gets lost before LGW, you have one day extra for them to find it. If it goes missing from LGW to dest then you know where they should look.

If you wonder why I'm paranoid, for the last three years my ski gear has gone missing from VCE-LGW-GLA but thankfully on the way back.

If looking for a hotel, I've stayed at the BLOC, Hilton and Sofitel. I would stay at the Bloc and Sofitel (north terminal) but not the Hilton again. I had an exec room at the Hilton an on the way to it I found the Hilton "normal room's" corridors to be pretty smelly. The time it takes to walk from the back of the Hilton (nicer rooms) is longer than to take the train from North terminal to South. Therefore, I've got my booking in Feb at the Sofitel.

The Blog is a cubicle room but pretty comfortable if you can get over the room size.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by FIRSTclstraveller
On a recent overnight stop from JER to GND (1005 departure following day) via LGW we were given the option of checking some in straight through and collecting some at LGW which was useful for the overnight stay.
When we had an overnight stop at LHR, the check-in agent at JFK told us that either all bags go to KBP or all bags go to LHR (we did want to pick up one bag at LHR). Something having to do with security. As there were two of us we managed to do it by checking bags under different names. That you were offered to send some bags to the final destination and some to LON suggests that we were incorrectly advised...

Last edited by Andriyko; Nov 21, 2018 at 6:42 am
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
On our recent JER-LGW-MLA we checked the bags right through, as it was an 0615 departure from LGW and we didn’t want to be messing around that early. A few overnight essentials in our carry-ons for the night at the Hilton sufficed. The bags joined us in MLA!
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks all.

We are going to check the luggage to TFS and hand luggage for overnight in the Sofitel
T8191 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by GLAFlyer
Thanks all.

We are going to check the luggage to TFS and hand luggage for overnight in the Sofitel

Wise move.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Andriyko
When we had an overnight stop at LHR, the check-in agent at JFK told us that either all bags go to KBP or all bags go to LHR (we did want to pick up one bag at LHR). Something having to do with security. As there were two of us we managed to do it by checking bags under different names. That you were offered to send some bags to the final destination and some to LON suggests that we were incorrectly advised...
I have been told the same as you were a couple of times also, although to different destinations.

I'm wondering if one traveller in Firstclasstraveller's party checked the bags to part-way and the other traveller checked the bags all the way, as you did?
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I have been told the same as you were a couple of times also, although to different destinations.

I'm wondering if one traveller in Firstclasstraveller's party checked the bags to part-way and the other traveller checked the bags all the way, as you did?
I am now wondering that as well. It is not the first time that we did that (checking 3 or 4 bags straight to Kiev and short checking 1 to LHR), but I don't remember ever having a conversation about it not being possible. I guess since we always travel to the USA together the agent just put the KBP bags under one of our names, and the LHR one under the other's without explaining it to us. When I read Firstclasstraveller's post I was wondering whether it was even possible to have bags checked-in to different destination for the same passenger in the same PNR.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Andriyko
I am now wondering that as well. It is not the first time that we did that (checking 3 or 4 bags straight to Kiev and short checking 1 to LHR), but I don't remember ever having a conversation about it not being possible. I guess since we always travel to the USA together the agent just put the KBP bags under one of our names, and the LHR one under the other's without explaining it to us. When I read Firstclasstraveller's post I was wondering whether it was even possible to have bags checked-in to different destination for the same passenger in the same PNR.
I just checked our boarding passes but they are the newer style ones that don’t appear to show how many pieces of checked baggage you have against your name. So I am unsure whether the check in agent allocated some baggage to GND to one member of the party and the remainder just to LGW under another person. We were all travelling under one PNR.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
What do the bag tag stickers they usually stick to ththe back of yiur bparding pass show?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.