BA or Malaysia to KUL?

Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Another thing about MH is that you can bid for an upgrade. It is possible to win with quite a low bid

Last edited by bisonrav; Nov 21, 2018 at 11:11 am
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
Another thing about MH is that you can bid for an upgrade. It is possible to SIN with quite a low bid
Bid upgrades on MH depend on the underlying Economy fare so not always a bargain as such if you've paid next to nothing for your international flight in the first place. I don't call 900-1300 for a one way upgrade LHR-KUL in Business to be worth it. Also, I don't thino the bid upgrades are eligible for tier points or avios unlike on QF.
Economy comfort seems to be the way to go for a bit of extra leg room and to be off the plane quickly (the first three rows behind business). Exit seats have the fixed armrests and are slap bang next to the toilets so all that leg room becomes a congregation area.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
The difference between economy on the 350 and the 787 is like night and day. If you're intending to fly direct, I'd choose the MH option without thinking twice about it, irrespective of any tier point or avios considerations.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Best economy on BA perhaps.
Well, fair enough, it's the best on BA or AA. Haven't tried MH, CX or QR down the back.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Malaysia Airlines. No contest. A350 is a lovely plane to fly on.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:05 pm

For Econ MH is better than BA.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by charlieboy77
Bid upgrades on MH depend on the underlying Economy fare so not always a bargain as such if you've paid next to nothing for your international flight in the first place. I don't call 900-1300 for a one way upgrade LHR-KUL in Business to be worth it. Also, I don't thino the bid upgrades are eligible for tier points or avios unlike on QF.
Economy comfort seems to be the way to go for a bit of extra leg room and to be off the plane quickly (the first three rows behind business). Exit seats have the fixed armrests and are slap bang next to the toilets so all that leg room becomes a congregation area.
Definitely you don't get TPs or Avios. I'll bow to greater recent experience, but my Malaysian in-laws got a J upgrade for the minimum low bid on LHR to KUL, this was going back 3 years or so though. They probably weren't on a bargain bucket Y fare though.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jowlymonster
Looking at flights to KUL early next year. From what I can see, Malaysian is on an A350 and BA the 787. I've not been on either of these before, what would be the preferred option? (sadly this is economy I'm talking about!)
Plus BA covers you for EC261 both ways, on MH only covers outbound flight. and MH doesn't leave from BA's LHR T5 if you have status and lounge access on Y ticket.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by scubaccr
MH doesn't leave from BA's LHR T5 if you have status and lounge access on Y ticket.
They have their own lounge in T4 which is pretty decent though. I prefer Galleries F to the F side of the MH lounge, but I would say the J side of the MH lounge is better than Galleries Club.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum
I am surprised someone hasn't already mentioned it but MH's London Economy offering is topical on social media right now. Here is a YouTube video from a blogger who was "bullied" by crew:

Also, an example of how it has made the newspapers: https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...eef7e971996252

It is quite a shocking story actually. In summary, he was having a bad flight to London and posted about it on Instagram mid-flight. The captain was informed which lead to the crew aggressively confronting the passenger. At one point, they threatened to stop serving him food and drinks.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:33 am

That's brave, posting a bad review in real-time. A sure-fire way of getting to taste chef's special sauce.

I have to go to Jakarta in the coming weeks and as my employer has a Y-only policy I'm looking at various routes to try and minimise discomfort. I was tempted by the extra legroom seats on the A350 on MH. I've only flown a handful of flights on MH and thought they were great, but they were all J & F (F on the A380 was great - tatty seats but they were huge and food and service were great).
Still undecided, but I won't be flying BA - seat pitch in economy is just too small.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:18 pm

I know this is not based in reason, but is anyone else on the "never fly Malaysia" bandwagon after MH370 and MH17? I just don't know if I could.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:55 pm

If you do not mind one stop Oneworld flights
Cathay Pacific from LGW via HKG
CX354 CX343 change to KA flights is also another option.
but not the 77W from LHR,
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by APUBleed
I know this is not based in reason, but is anyone else on the "never fly Malaysia" bandwagon after MH370 and MH17? I just don't know if I could.
No, not at all. I've done lost of MH flying since these incidents, especially since there are parts of Malaysia you just cannot reach without using MH. That being said, I've not done any MH longhaul, its all short/medium haul stuff in fairness. For longhaul between Europe and Asia, I would be taking CX or QR depending on the destination.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:17 pm

I've done a fair bit of long haul on MH in economy - 747s and then the A380 - and I must say it was never unpleasant. The A380 in particular was very nice, The food is good, service is usually friendly and reasonable. We've switched latterly to BA to Singapore for convenience - my sister-in-law lives there - and did an ex AMS in J for the last trip anyway, but certainly not because of any fears of accidents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.