Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to accrue 70 Tier Points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

How to accrue 70 Tier Points

We have £500 BA credit for a cancellation due to injury. We need another 70 tier points to go from Blue to Bronze before February. The first question is, is it worth striving for Bronze? The next question is, what would be a sensible way to earn the 70 points without breaking the bank. We are retired so flexible on timing. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Definitas
The first question is, is it worth striving for Bronze?
In all honesty, no. The benefits are not worth setting out to achieve the TPs in my opinion.

Use the voucher for something you want to do - e.g. travel to somewhere you want to go, rather than trying to manufacture TPs. If the 70 TPs come along at the same time, then this is a bonus, but focus on using the voucher to its best for where you want to travel.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:34 pm

Personally, I don't think that Bronze is worth going for in and of itself... if you happen to earn it from travel that you'd otherwise do, by all means, but I likely wouldn't spend the GBP500 credit before February on a trip that you wouldn't otherwise take (unless the credit is expiring).

One benefit of Bronze is free seat selection one week before flight departure... a good benefit, but of limited use if you're not flying that much anyway.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Also you can use Business check in , a 25% avios bonus and priority boarding ( is it group 3?). However if you do not fly that often it might not be worth it whereas £500 could get you to a number of interesting places.

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I'm going to sound like a cracked record given I've posted about almost nothing else this week, but an excellent way of killing numerous birds with one stone is to go to Beirut. Warm weather, fascinating place and lovely people, and on a quick check the BA fare is £308 in WT, but there are a number of online agents selling less than that so you would get a price promise double cashback of £60 or so per ticket (even if paying with the voucher).

And in WT it yields exactly 70 TP for the return (or at least it did for me, fare class 'n' I think).
gritts2 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
How much do you value seat selection? If you always pay to sit together then bronze may be worth it for you.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
A few days in Amsterdam in CE ex London would earn you 80 TPs

But I'd echo others advice only travel if you want to and it suits your plans. I am generally not in favour of manufactured trips just for the TPs (though if you were 70 from Silver or Gold my advice would be different.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Definitas
We have £500 BA credit for a cancellation due to injury. We need another 70 tier points to go from Blue to Bronze before February. The first question is, is it worth striving for Bronze? The next question is, what would be a sensible way to earn the 70 points without breaking the bank. We are retired so flexible on timing. Thanks in advance for any advice.
I don't think it's worth it. Really I think the real benefits kick in at Silver
TheOldMan likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Agree with the above - Silver is essentially the BAEC 'sweet spot' unless you're a pretty frequent traveller. The F Lounge is ok but not life changing, but having access to a lounge of sorts is for me a good benefit. And likewise, going through the First wing for security is nice enough at non peak times, but at peak times it becomes less of a standout. But having fast track in various airports is worthwhile.

So I'd personally say use the cash and either go somewhere you want and sod the TPs (if you don't travel that often) or use the cash to part fund a much higher TP option and go straight to Silver (if that appeals). Bronze gets you some benefits but not many. And you have time before Feb so it's realistic.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Silver is essentially the BAEC 'sweet spot' unless you're a pretty frequent traveller.
Agree 100%. If you have to do TP runs to get higher status you probably don't need it.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Bronze, AVIS Preferred Plus
In case you are not traveling a lot, i don't think you should push on getting bronze. I was traveling a lot in the US with AA so in this case i did like the benefit of not having to pay for my suitcase as a BA Bronze and being able to select exit row seats for free 24hrs before departure. As you are based in the UK you won't get much out of you benefits, besides earlier boarding, group 4 as I remember, and seat selection 1 week before departure.

If you get a good deal and you are traveling anyway, go for it. Otherwise, as stated above a couple times, keep the money and spend it next year to get silver, if you plan to travel a little bit more.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Agree 100%. If you have to do TP runs to get higher status you probably don't need it.
However somebody with an economy only business travel policy may well struggle to get silver, still travel a fair amount & would really benefit from it.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:02 am

Bronze is only useful if you plan to fly on AA due to the free MCE.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by JohnIreland
Bronze is only useful if you plan to fly on AA due to the free MCE.
But since September isn’t that only available for OW Ruby from 24 hours before departure?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Blueboys999

But since September isn’t that only available for OW Ruby from 24 hours before departure?
It's always been 24 hours afaik. But the MCE seats tend to be the last to go because they are not free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.