Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cannot use both types of voucher on one booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: MUCCI -- What else matters?

My old Avios.com account has been merged with my BA account. I now have the following vouchers available:
  • 2 x Lloyds Avios upgrade vouchers
  • 1 x BA Amex Companion voucher
I am looking to make a booking in J, one way, LHR-BOS, for five people. I was hoping this would be possible:
  • 2 people using BA Companion Voucher, 60000 avios (full price 60k, plus one free)
  • 3 people using Lloyds Upgrade Vouchers one way, 120000 avios (cost of WT+ 40k, times three)
So it should be a total of 180000 avios. However, BAEC and the old Avios team seem to be saying that:
  1. I cannot make a single booking using both types of vouchers, even though they are all linked to the same BA account, and
  2. I must be present on the booking for all vouchers, so I cannot just split up into two PNRs (since I won't be present on both!)
The only option they are giving me is: four people using Lloyds Upgrade Vouchers one way, 160000 avios (cost of WT+ 40k times four), plus one person full price 60000, for a total of 220000 avios!

Can anyone see a way out so that I can get my reward for 180k avios as above? (I have exactly 180k avios and don't really want to buy more).

-simon
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
It never used to be possible to use both voucher types together; I wouldn't expect it to be possible now, despite the combination of Avios.com accounts into BAEC.

Yes, you must be in the booking for the voucher to be used.

Can you somehow earn another Amex Companion voucher in a hurry?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Certainly people have in the past reported being able to use the Lloyds vouchers for others, though the BAEC tie-up may have tightened things there. While it could be frowned upon I would certainly try calling the avios.com number and trying to make the booking you want for 3 others, leaving yourself and the 241 out of it for now (or doing that simultaneously online).

Even more frownable, I'm wondering how real the risks of trying to book yourself on both bookings (assuming you are further required to be on both Lloyds vouchers) and then cancelling yourself from the Lloyds one later on. Admittedly they might want to cancel the entire Lloyds booking and you'd lose the vouchers, but more likely they never raise an eyebrow. Your risk though --- BEWARE!!!!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:23 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by pauldb
Even more frownable, I'm wondering how real the risks of trying to book yourself on both bookings (assuming you are further required to be on both Lloyds vouchers) and then cancelling yourself from the Lloyds one later on. Admittedly they might want to cancel the entire Lloyds booking and you'd lose the vouchers, but more likely they never raise an eyebrow. Your risk though --- BEWARE!!!!
This approach would not be compatible with a stress-free life!
pauldb likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.