Wiki Posts
Search

BA denied boarding - no compensation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, put like that. However imagine that
0.5) I notice the sentence in the second paragraph on my e-ticket that I may need to show my credit card
4.5) BA asked me to show that credit card and I could not do so
Then irrespective of 5, BA are within their rights to deny boarding.
What if 4.5 was ‘BA asked me to show that credit card and I could not do so, but even if I could do so, they could not reinstate me’?

Now looping back to the OP’s story, it looks like they were offloaded 4 hours before the flight. This seems a different story versus remaining checked-in but getting the beep at the boarding gate, and then being blocked from boarding until the card has been presented.

Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Takiteasy
What if 4.5 was ‘BA asked me to show that credit card and I could not do so, but even if I could do so, they could not reinstate me’?
If you could show the credit card, then it's IDB. If you can't show the credit car it's not IDB. If you weren't asked in a clear way to show the card then it's IDB.
adrianlondon and Often1 like this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:08 pm

But why offload them at all 4 hours before the flight? Ok,so you want to be sure it isn’t some kind of cc fraud, fine. Passenger needs to show the cc at first point of contact at the airport, if he can all is well and he can get on. If not you offload, call the police, do whatever you need to do. I really don’t see the point of the offloading at the time at which it was done. If it is because the flight was filling up and you want so be sure passenger will be there with the cc for heaven’s sake call before offloading.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
[/left]If you could show the credit card, then it's IDB. If you can't show the credit car it's not IDB. If you weren't asked in a clear way to show the card then it's IDB.
This is the only analysis that matters. The rest are a series of perhaps interesting matters for someone studying business process, but do not implicate whether OP is due compensation and a duty of care under the Regulation. That is all CEDR is charged with.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold
If gate staff are instructed to check for a credit card then they must have the power to reinstate boarding; if not what is the point of them asking for it.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Another update from my side - maybe it will be useful for someone in the future to be careful with CEDR process:

CEDR sent the decision email saying "The passenger now has 14 days from the date of this communication in which to either accept the decision or reject it."
But today we have seen they had actually closed the case 1 day after they sent that email. And in the CEDR case page, the buttons don't allow you to upload anything, it says case closed by an employee name. So I emailed them instead. Not hoping much help from them anymore though based on the experience so far.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bluemoon68
If gate staff are instructed to check for a credit card then they must have the power to reinstate boarding; if not what is the point of them asking for it.
Our young gate agent called his boss 2 times for us. And told us "my boss doesn't allow me to take you to the flight".
It's possible that this boss who sits in his office had the right to reinstate the boarding.
Not sure if the boss had seen the note about the CC but definitely the agent was clueless.
Interestingly, the email (which was taken as the main proof) was written by a third person - who is most probably this boss.
We told the agent several times, let us ask your boss why he is not letting us to the flight. He rejected talking to us or coming to the gate.
What kind of person sits in his office, orders the agent not to let us in without explanation and then writes an email to BA saying they asked our card and we chose not to show.
If we go to the court, I believe this person can even lie in front of the judge.
This is just a flight compensation issue, I don't want to think how much people suffer because of such unethical liar people.

So in summary , maybe the agents don't have the access to that screens but their managers probably do.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mrlmrl
Our young gate agent called his boss 2 times for us. And told us "my boss doesn't allow me to take you to the flight".
It's possible that this boss who sits in his office had the right to reinstate the boarding.
Not sure if the boss had seen the note about the CC but definitely the agent was clueless.
Interestingly, the email (which was taken as the main proof) was written by a third person - who is most probably this boss.
We told the agent several times, let us ask your boss why he is not letting us to the flight. He rejected talking to us or coming to the gate.
What kind of person sits in his office, orders the agent not to let us in without explanation and then writes an email to BA saying they asked our card and we chose not to show.
If we go to the court, I believe this person can even lie in front of the judge.
This is just a flight compensation issue, I don't want to think how much people suffer because of such unethical liar people.
There's an important clarification here (in your favour). From what you've posted above, the agent did not actually say in his email that they asked to see your card and you chose not to show it. The email simply said "The passengers could not certify the credit card." As such I certainly don't think you have to show that this email was a lie, because it is not really evidence that you were asked to show it. The email is an incomplete account from which BA (and CEDR) have drawn an inference.

Indeed nothing in any of the contemporaneous notes BA has provided states that you were asked to show the card.

The passengers showed up directly at the boarding gate with the boarding cards issued in their mobile phones. When we were going to board them the agents realised that they were not checked in and that they also had a message in FLY. "PLEASE SEE PNR CC SECURITY". The passengers could not certify the credit card and there was no time for them to buy another ticket...
Mrlmrl likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As I read the CEDR adjudication process flowchart (which is extremely well done), in your case it does not matter. The 14 days would only apply if the adjudicator had proposed relief for OP short of the full amount he had sought. In that case, OP would have 14 days to accept or reject. If OP accepts, then BA would have been obligated to pay the sum determined by the adjudicator. If OP had rejected, the matter would be closed and of no effect to either OP or BA.

In this case, CEDR found for BA. While one supposes that OP could accept this, that would be odd. Rather, the matter is closed and OP may pursue this matter as and if he sees fit.

Seems that he is now off to MCOL.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
OP - I suggest you check out this thread:

Fraudulent ticket

On a related note, I certainly feel old now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.