Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ba Silver benefits card expires June 2019 flight in July 2019

Ba Silver benefits card expires June 2019 flight in July 2019

Old Nov 18, 18, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Question Ba Silver benefits card expires June 2019 flight in July 2019

Hi

My self and my wife are currently BA Silver we will be dropping to bronze . The collection for their points is :- Year end 08 May 2019 and Card expiry date is June 2019. We have booked flights for next July 2019 we were able to pick seats for free and it currently give us 2 checked bags and lounge access. Will this still be there when we fly in July as we have booked it while Silver or when the 1st July comes around they will change and it will be normally 1 checked bag and no lounge access.

I have been searching trying to find the answer

Thanks

Martyn
Old Nov 18, 18, 7:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
Your seat selection will disappear when you drop from Silver and you won't have lounge access or the baggage allowance.
Old Nov 18, 18, 7:39 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Wozza2404 View Post
Your seat selection will disappear when you drop from Silver and you won't have lounge access or the baggage allowance.
The seat selection may disappear. It depends on too many things to know for certain - an aircraft change, a seat sweep between losing status and flying, the seats chosen, and indeed whether or not there’s less than 7 days between Silver expiring and flying, when Bronze selection kicks in anyway. The best bet is not to touch the booking at all.

The other benefits will almost certainly go, depending on BA’s IT, with the lounge access the more likely to disappear.
Old Nov 18, 18, 7:43 am

Programs: BA (GOLD), VS
Status benefits apply as per the date flown not the date booked.

Your seat reservation may stick but is not 100% guaranteed - people have reported mixed results. But as Bronze you should go into MMB and reselect at T-7.
Old Nov 18, 18, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The stated benefit of Silver is "free seat selection at time of booking".

If the seat selection could disappear once the booking is made, then this should be clearly stated in the terms. Perhaps I have missed it, but there's no term that says you need to be Silver at time of flight - the key moment is "at time of booking".

I have no real world experience of this situation, but this is how I read the wording.

Perhaps BAEC may be able to assist with a quick call to clarify...?
Old Nov 18, 18, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
P
Originally Posted by bigwalrus View Post
The stated benefit of Silver is "free seat selection at time of booking".....
Correct. And OP had that benefit at time of booking and thatís where it ends unfortunately.
There is plenty of evidence on the board that confirms advice given by other replies above that the seats selected are likely to disappear when OP is no longer silver, along with all the other silver benefits.
From personal experience, I can confirm the preferential seating for a future flight for a silver card I gifted to a family member disappeared when the silver membership ended, as did all other benefits related to that flight.
Old Nov 18, 18, 12:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by gcuk View Post
P

Correct. And OP had that benefit at time of booking and thatís where it ends unfortunately.
There is plenty of evidence on the board that confirms advice given by other replies above that the seats selected are likely to disappear when OP is no longer silver, along with all the other silver benefits.
From personal experience, I can confirm the preferential seating for a future flight for a silver card I gifted to a family member disappeared when the silver membership ended, as did all other benefits related to that flight.
That's crazy and not at all clear from the page outlining the benefits.

I can kind of understand the baggage and lounge access, as that's a benefit at the point in time. But seat selection is effectively done at the time of booking - there isn't any warning that appears to tell you that it might revoke the seat selection if you lose Silver.

Good to know for the future, however.