Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

My longest east coast flight ever - 13 hours. Is this a record?

My longest east coast flight ever - 13 hours. Is this a record?

Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by jerub
I think it's perfectly reasonable to attempt to claim compensation and have the rules allow or deny the claim as appropriate. The morality is irrelevant: the outcome is bound up in the rules and the situation and if the rules are wrong it is up to the legislators to correct them, not the moral compass of those the rules are intended to protect.
If you have your wallet stolen in a shop, should you claim compensation from the shop? Even though there is nothing in the rules to allow you to claim against the shop.

In this case BA did nothing wrong, broke no rules, yet the OP wants money. EC261 has zero to do with it.

I guess people now have no understanding of the differences between right and wrong.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Isn't there something completely morally wrong to claim compensation from someone when it is not their fault?
Absolutely, but I suppose the question is to whether BA can in some way claim compensation from the Airport in turn, for incurring costs on the airline. If that was the case, then it'd be fair for the passengers to effectively receive a share of this (albeit maybe in the form of Avios or something).

If BA are not able to be compensated, or do anything about these situations, then no it doesn't seem right to be trying to claim anything from them.
Nicc HK likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:30 am

Mrs PAL62V was on the BA185 that day, arriving just as the snow began. They got to the gate thankfully, but then she was unable to leave the airport! Was stuck there until she could finally get an Uber at around 4.30am to get her the last 50 miles. No hotel rooms and people sleeping everywhere. Taxi queue was horrendous and people were being stuck on roads all over the place. In the end she felt better for having warmth, food, power and a place to sit and try to sleep.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
I was in Newark that day.
There were over 400 road traffic accidents, and at least 2 bridges closed due to accidents.
It took one person in my office 6 hours to drive 7 miles, and on the 5 min walk from my office to my hotel i saw 2 separate car crashes.

While its not great being held on the tarmac for so long. had you been let off, you probably would have been stranded in the terminal as very little was running and traffic was not moving.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Bullswood
I know this is on a petty scale by comparison, but there have been too many times in recent history where people opted out of any moral responsibility and followed whatever the regulations allowed, however inappropriate.
The airlines of course would never do that.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BoeBus
What does the aircraft do for power in these situations? I imagine that the engines would have been shut down and even the APU wouldn't last (or shouldn't be used) for 5.5hrs. With either APU or engines, would the plane not run out of fuel? Was it connected to a ground power unit and what happens when it has to go "around the block"?
There isn't any issue using an APU for this period of time. In fact due to the lower fuel burn would be preferred. At 5.5 hours the fuel burn from the APU plus the occasional use of main engines to move around wouldn't use much fuel (about 1-2 tonnes for twins, and about 2-4 for quads). This would only use about 25% of the remaining fuel you'd have on board when landing.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I'm not after money or an apology!

It was clear that Newark had screwed up!!

The crew - both cabin and cockpit made the best of a bad job. And clearly a flight to the states is very different to something in Europe.

The thread started with - is this a record??

Maybe I was lucky once I was through security, I only waited 10 mins for an Uber which wasn't that much over the usual price. Scalpers were charging 75 bucks a person to ride into Manhattan. Mine was 86 bucks, came in 10 mins and I was in my hotel in Lower Manhattan 30 mins after pickup.

Other contributors are right - Newark should be hammered for all of the chaos. Simply because the roads are bad, doesn't excuse an airport with it's dedicated snow clearance people and machinery. What was clear however for all the agencies who fell down, is that either the amount of snow, or it's effect was underestimated!!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
they shut down and restarted the engines 3/4 times - either when there was a (broken) promise to move, or when we actually went around in circles as they tried to move aircraft blocked by others. It really was a game of chess!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
I'm not after money or an apology!
Then why write?

Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
Though the delay is airport incompetence / weather related, is there grounds to claim from BA?
PAL62V likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.