Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Poor service recovery or just do I expect too much of CS?

Old Nov 17, 18, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold(twice), Hilton Diamond

13 hr flight, spanking new 789-10, in F from NRT. IFE was fine on films but bad crackle on music. CSD listened and agreed it was unusable despite a couple of re-boots. CC came round later and said that CSD busy but was pro-actively awarding "15k Avios, the max for IFE". A day later I rec'd an email from BA thanking me for my correspondence(none sent) and stating a case number, presumably filed by the CSD & that BA would respond. 3 weeks later 10k Avios in my acc't. I didn't think even 15k was generous for no music on such a long flight in F, but am more disappointed that without even a cut & paste response 10k are plonked in my acc't. I certainy would have hoped for the usual "we realise how disappointed etc", or at least some kind of e mail, but to then award less than the CSD had offered, Gold in F maybe not relevant, but are my expectations too high?
redeyedonkey likes this.
Old Nov 17, 18, 4:46 pm

Programs: Airline Disloyal But BAEC Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
My first gut response was that 15k wasn't enough. But then when you remember it's a one way redemption in domestic first in the US (up to whatever miles - couple hours flight) which might sell for $350 in the best case in terms of value and at the very least never worth less than £210 on any sensible redemptions it seems alright though not exciting as, of course, you expect the best when flying First. The service itself has definitely gone downhill - back when I was Gold (up until a couple years ago) the very few times I had issues I was always called to discuss the 'reward' for whatever had happened and usually managed to talk them up a bit. Avoiding that step entirely AND awarding you with less than was originally promised is the main thing that would annoy me in your situation.
Old Nov 17, 18, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Likely either the CSD or the CC member communicating for the CSD made a simple error. BA sets the maximum customer service gesture based on cabin and status and 10K sounds quite generous for a partial malfunction.

The entire process is automated once the CSD taps away and the entry is downloaded. Chances are that the algorithm simply changed the gesture to the maximum permitted and no human ever became involved.

Insincere cut & paste emails are just that. You may be assured that no matter how devastated an email says that the entirety of BA's vast network are, nobody really is and thus you are neither better nor worse off for the lack of an automated email.
Cris L, LondonElite and 'andad like this.
Old Nov 17, 18, 9:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I suspect it has been adjusted down because the maximum Avios for IFE may well have been for a fuller failure than 'just' the music function. The whole process may well have been semi-automated.

It's best not to take the disappointment too much to heart and move on.
Old Nov 17, 18, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by 'andad View Post
but are my expectations too high?
Yes. 10k is pretty good going.

A phone with some music loaded on it would have been sufficient to rescue the situation.
Old Nov 17, 18, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

10k seems a pretty generous compensation for crackly music from IFE

It doesn't seem to be something where class of service should make a difference
SK, PUCCI GALORE, GLA and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 18, 18, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
I think 10k is fine to be honest for a relatively minor annoyance.

Didn't realise BA had taken delivery of any of their 787-10s...!
flygirl68 and mikeyfly like this.
Old Nov 18, 18, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
I would agree you are possibly overthinking it, as someone that increasingly finds themselves willing to complain! 10K Avios seems fair for what was a minor issue and the cut and paste response is fairly textbook BA, unfortunately. I imagine they receive an unhealthy number of Gold in F complaints to respond to each day, so personalised responses are somewhat out of the window.

A couple of years ago when BA Avios recovery was at its nadir I received 10K Avios for slicing my hand open on an F seatbelt that someone had managed to cut into the metal buckle of until the edge was razor sharp. The CSD was horrified (and obviously the seat was instantly taken out of service) but thatís all that was apparently worth at the time for the customer service team. That was about the point I started avoiding BA longhaul where possible.
Old Nov 18, 18, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
10k sounds ok but the point is that the crew said it would be 15k and the amount suddenly changed without any communication, which is not good.
Scots_Al and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 18, 18, 4:44 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
OP did you try a different set of headphones?
Old Nov 18, 18, 4:53 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
I think you are expecting too much in this case, like members on here do. I'd be thankful to get anything back for it.
Old Nov 18, 18, 5:05 am

I agree that 10k seems adequate compensation, but I can understand being miffed at being promised 15k and then getting 10k without explanation or apology.

As with so many things BA the issue is less about the decision but more about the accompanying sloppy customer experience.
Old Nov 18, 18, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by stu1985 View Post
Didn't realise BA had taken delivery of any of their 787-10s...!
They havenít. And I surely canít be alone in questioning other elements of any story that starts with factual inaccuracies or clear lack of attention to detail - however fair or unfair that may be.
oldone, charlieboy77 and stu1985 like this.
Old Nov 18, 18, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL+GfL;LH M&M FQTV ; SPG Gold ; A-Club Plat;HHonnors Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
10k seems a pretty generous compensation for crackly music from IFE

It doesn't seem to be something where class of service should make a difference
not so bad, my wife recently got 20000 Avios (proactively through CSM/CSD) for dead IFE on
SIN-LHR in F and being GGL.
Nevertheless, I would mention the promised 15000 Avios to Customer Relations.

In former times, years ago, any small problem with IFE brought 25000 (then) miles in F.
This were the timesÖ.

best regards,
ettrich
Old Nov 18, 18, 8:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I dare say the IFE is probably more important in WT without power provisions than in F with easy access to power.

Originally Posted by ettrich View Post
In former times, years ago, any small problem with IFE brought 25000 (then) miles in F.
I also dare say the IFE used to be more important before the days of lots of portable gadgets.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: